Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something's Fishy in Biloxi
After two years of no luck, I was finally able to finagle two weeks of leave in a row. The first week was the mandatory drive up to New England in three days, spend one day with my wife's family and then drive three days back. I took one day just to relax from the relaxing vacation and then my real vacation was to start. That could only mean one thing: some heavy duty saltwater fishing on the Gulf. I was ready, and I mean ready to do some serious fishing here and nothing was going to stop me. Nothing that is but some storm named Isidore. I knew on Monday that I had at least a couple of days before I had to cry uncle and admit that there would be no fishing for me. I went out on the pier and stayed there like the biggest goober in the South for over 5 hours but only caught some water sprays and an award for stupidity. I did not give up though and the next day I was back out again only this time I brought a few rocks to put in my pocket to anchor me and also go along with the ones in my head. This time I actually got a few nibbles and a few stares from the Weather.com people. I went home deflated but not defeated. On Wed morning I gave it one more shot though and through crashing waves, driving rain and a wonder at my sanity, I made my way to my favorite pier. I stationed myself in my spot and nobody but nobody could convince me to leave, expect for the city police who sympathized with my plight but felt that he had to "move me on". I had not caught any fish on this much awaited vacation, although I did catch some steamy words from my wife for forgetting that her birthday was that day. I rode out the storm at home and on Thursday when the rain let up I decided to give my fishing one more try. As I started to walk to my pier, my spirits lifted and I thought "one day is better than none". That is until I got within sighting distance of my beloved pier. It had blown away from its mooring and was now in the middle of the Gulf. I thought about almost crying but noticed that a lot of people were around the pier so went over to investigate. Some volunteers were helping to go and get the pier back in. So with rod in hand I went over and gave a helping hand. After hours and hours of work we had our pier back. So I did not catch my fish that got away but instead caught the pier that decided to fly the coop. Oh well, there's always next year!
[signature]
i think ya ought to take some more time off instead of workin all the times so,s ya can enjoy life a little more! haha ya only live once as far as i know. haha take care everuyone needs time for themselves.
[signature]
talk about a bad vaction though you did get to wet some line not to memtion yourself ! and as you said your prir we be there next year better luck next time
[signature]
Everybody has vacations like that, one of these days you will go on a vacation that you can not forget, all for the right reasons.
[signature]
[Smile]well i hear ya there bud, good story, but i think we all have vacations like that. but it is also funny how we remember that one fer as long as we live too. cause it sticks out in our head. haha and then eventually we learn to laugh bout it. hahano other idiot was out there huh? hahahaha that,s the way i look at it. well i,s stonger than they are. amybe stupider but stronger. hahaha just fer the hope of catchin that biggon. ahha it could happen! ahha, at least your there to TRY! HAHA i dont care longs i,m out there too. come what weather, so dont feel alone. suppose ot snow all weekend and i,m gonna be out there when all the boys arent and i,m gonna catch that nice 18- 19 inch brown or ranbow or brookie out my hole when they aint! haha everyyear i pull one out,and cliff, too when he isnt workin the first day now.and them boys wont. cause they,ll be sittin in the house in there big recliner, all cozy and warm missin the best day of the year! the FIRST DAY! and i,ll be gittin that goodd fish! haha havin him fer supper! and i can tell the boys when i see em i caught my fish the first day and it was a good en. hha they git ticked at me. well i tell you could of been out there too. hha didnt want to git there toes wet i tell em. hahaahha i like bustin em. haha some can take it, and some cant! hahaha

well i,ll tell ya one from our first day of fishin, cliff and i was talkin bout it last nite. haha we got laughin, he,s my son, well got a good feed on in the mornin, put our longjohns on our huntin gear, and rain coats, ahah we were layered up good cause we was planin on stayin all day till dark like we always do, did.

wel we went down thru and i took a tarp, the hammer nails, and always plenty of good sappling git pushed down with the high water and end up on the bank at the hole. so i made a nice little lean to. cliff him with his lawn chair, the hounds, all got in the lean to cause it started snowin again. tight fit but we did it. haha hounds didnt like bein that close, both males with jealousy, jake, i want momma, then cliffs pup, spud said i want momma too. haha boy they git there nose bent. well, cliff and set in there good long hours, bullin luaughin bout other first fihin dys, ahha and knowin we were makin another one. haha just didnt rightly knw if we was gonna catch fish this year, but hopin, but always just enjoyin our first days of fishin together. that,s all that matters anways, to us.

i knew it was gittin later, cause my stomache was tellin me. haha, aint it funny when your out there in the cold wind, snow how your stomache tells ya ya want somethin to eat! alwyas happens to me! haha well the overcast wasn,t lettin up. or the snow. comin down ir was comin reall good. i told cliff, i,ll run up and git some sandwiches, i says, i,d casted the last cast up in front of the hole and drifted it down to the side of the big hole and let it set there a minute two three, fer i was to be goin up to the house. and i felt a good little nub, i says cliff somethin,s hittin me. there so cold they dont hit good yet anyways i says, i got to make sure he,s on there. so i waited and waited seemed like a lifetime, well i felt him do it again, and i give it to him!, cliff cliff, i got him, haha hep ma out! i,m hollerin! i,m stiffer than billy goat gruff under the bridge! haha cant, move!. so he,s tryin to git me up, pullin on my arm , he,s slippin and slidin onthe ice, in betwixt us laughin, like [crazy] haah and i got that fish pole straight up in the air outside the lean to , tryin not to loose him, and we,re both tryin not to fall in the hole. haha i,d put the lean to so close to the brook we was almost fallin in. ahha i,m sayin cliff git my back end, it aint movin hahaha he grabbed around my waste tryin to straighten me up and we,re laugin all the harder, finally i did it, haha the hounds are bayin, jumpin up and down, hollerin ma git it! cause they know whats on the end of that line and they love fish as much a me and cliff. ahha well finally got the slippin on the ice thing squared away, and walked down the brook some to be able to git him in! some lucky that big ol rainbow was still on! haha well i had a good fight fer the way they are the first day of fishin, and told cliff at least we didntfall in and we got the fish. haha well decided to go do the sandwich thing, after we got all calmed down,sayin how beautiful he was even though he was all silver, and got thie fish on the stick and i headed up thru> to show ma, clean him, i got half way back to the house and i hear,MA, MA, MY TURN MY TURN! SO I RUN BACK TO THE BROOK, and there,s cliff with his fish on. he got the beautiful 19 inch and i got the 18. boy did we have a good feed that nite. hounds didnt git much i,ll tell ya, haha ma did, me and cliff. if was a good day. and we wont fergit that one.either ended up gittin 2 ft of snow that day, night, we were down to the hole again in the mornin, ahha lean to fell in, fixed it and moved it back aways from the hole too! ahha later

kinda bummed today, cliff,s got to work tomoorere, so we cant go first dy together, but we,ll go sunday! seems so different than when he was a kid not to have him with me right tight close to me to say, ya ready dub? seems there not enough time anymore. to spend together. i miss him terrible. and he,s only 3 miles betwixt us,haha, it,s just it was always just me and him and ma. ma,s gone, he,s grown up and gone, not gone just, got more people in his life now other than me and his time is more taken, it,s good and i love it, them all, but i miss it bein just me and him, and ma, it just makes me treasure them days more. so. cayse there never bein able to come back. i hold him my arms now, and he,s 6'1 and i laugh cause i member when he was only 15 inches in my arms. hahahaha just an old mother i guess. haha but i do miss them days. have a goiod easter everybody. and hold onto your memories, that,s what makes LIFE! WELl i got some grandkids i can take too now, ahah second time around. hahahaha later mare[Smile][Wink]
[signature]