Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The silver and blue kastmaster
This lure worked very well at the vallejo waterfront this weekend. After a couple of casts, I was pounded by a 20 inch striper! It fought and fought until he finally went belly up. Like I said, it works really good. Then after that, a 14 inch striper knocked it around for about 5 minutes!
[signature]
bigbasser, first of all... welcome to BFT! Always great to see new people here. And I gotta tell you, it's well worth being registered. Smart decision.

Thanks for the tip about the kastmaster. I have yet to buy any of those lures but they've been tempting me for quite a while.

I wonder how well they'll work through the ice. Hmmm.
[signature]
[cool][font "Pegasus"][green][size 4]Hi there bigbasser and welcome to the BFT. I have a number of Kastmaster lures in my box that have been collecting dust for many years. Maybe it is time to get them wet again.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Like you were wondering, do kastmasters work well when ice fishing? To tell you the truth, yes they do. Like last year when I took a trip up to Stampede in Truckee to go ice fishing. It seemed like powerbait and corn weren't catching trout or even kokanee. So I just started to jig a gold kastmaster, and by the end of the day, my stringer was full of fish.
[signature]
I have several sizes and colors of Kastmasters. I use them quite often for Trout and Stripers in freshwater and I use them for Mackeral, Bonito, Calico Bass, Sand Bass and other species in the big salty.[cool]
[signature]
Just wondering, where do you like to go striper fishing? And also in your opinion, what is the best bait, worth the money, for stripers?
[signature]
When I lived in Northern Cali, I used to fish the Delta or the Sacramento River alot. Mostly used small shad for bait.

I am currently in Southern Cali. I fish alot at Castaic Lake. The best baits that I have found that work are the larger Kastmasters with the Blue/Chrome color and a buck tail attached. Next to that, we use anchovies or live shad.[cool]
[signature]
thanks for the tips
[signature]
That's why we are here. To share and learn from each other.[cool]
[signature]
I only wish there were striper here. My brother used to go fishing for them when we lived in California. That's all he wanted to catch. Most of the time he ended up with largemouth though. [Tongue]
[signature]
I also wish there were more stripers here, along with some bigger wons too. That would be fun.
[signature]
I only caught small ones this year. 5 to 17lb. Last year I hit one that was 36lbs. I am hoping to get into the 50lb club in 2005.[cool]
[signature]
[reply]
I have fished northern cali for a good part of my life. I have had great success and a couple 5lb smallmouths to prove it fishing at shasta lake. I simply cast towards the bank getting within a few feet making sure too keep the lure off the bottom while jigging it. I jig the bait from the rod tip about 7 to 11 o'clock. Keep the line somewhat tight and be ready for a bite on the lure's free fall. [/reply]

Since I only go on boat rentals every now and then, i really don't get to do that a lot, but it has worked for me sometimes.
Thanks for the tip.
Bigbasser
[signature]