Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 12-27-04 report
Went to Strawberry monday morning with my little buddy Alex. We arrived at 7:00 am. Action was slower than last friday, but the hook up rate was better. I managed to put thirteen on the ice and Alex ended up with nine. My biggest fish was a little over 21 inches and if you did the "DWR tail pinch" would have been over 22. but it went back in the hole. Alex lost the big fish of the day at the hole. Would have easily been a 25 inch cutt. Fishing was steady till 11:30 than it went dead. In the next two and half hours we only caught one fish. I tried moving around a little to find fish. But that last fish was caught by Alex in the same hole he fished all day.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=7710;]

John
[signature]
My son and I fished Chicken Creek East today with about the same results as you had. We wound up icing a lot of good fish but from 11:30 till 1:30 it all but stoped. We caught several pushing the 22" size but all were returned for another day. We mover around several times but never found a better spot than the one we satrted with. Fished in water 14' to 28' deep.
We talked to several other BFTers up there that had about the same reports.
What a great year at Da Berry!!![Tongue]
Thanks for those Boogers James, they are the trick up there!![Wink]
[signature]
I was up there aswell, I had a really good day from sunrise til I left around 2:30. Where abouts were you fishing? I was directly south out the ice in 17 feet water (pretty shallow compared to where everyone else was fishing).
[signature]
CBR,

We were at the main boat ramp. We were west and south of the parking lot in 21 feet of water. As you mention in your post I also think I will fish SC side for bows as it gets more ice. Fishing from my boat this summer I would have 50 to 60 percent rainbow catch on that side. And on the berry side maybe 1 out of 20. So how deep were you fishing on the SC.

John
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I hope to fish strawberry next week.
[signature]
Thanks for the great report I need to get up there and do some ice fishing. What lure were you using. Anything special or just the standards?

Maddawg
[signature]
Boogers!! Boogers!! Boogers!!!! Green or White tipped with minnows fished on the very bottom.
[signature]
We fished from the 15-33 feet range. Best luck was in the 33 ft range, but the fish were swimming in the 17-30 foot areas.
[signature]
We were mostly fishing with a gold and brown spoon tipped with minnow. But I caught fish on just about anything as long as it was tipped with minnow.

John
[signature]
Tubedude,

Thanks for your help with the photo.

John
[signature]
Started fishing Soldier Creek about 8:30. Five of us averaged about 8 fish each, left at 2:30. Probably 75% bows. One cutt at 23 and 3/4" and my wife released it like a real man. White paddlebugs tipped with 1 1/2" worm or glow jigs with waxworms. It was fairly warm and the fish seemed to bite good til 11am, but were still biting pretty good to keep it fun for the rest of the time.
The whole lake seems to be frozen, but the deeper water looks iffy. I would be concerned about taking a snowmobile across the lake after this next snow hits. The new snow will not let you see where the thin areas are. I bet a couple more days would have made it solid.
[signature]