Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Planning on going to Strawberry this week
Ok, I think I posted something about this the other day, but can't remember where. I think I lost my brain sometime around Christmas.

I'm planning on taking a couple of my nephews ice fishing for their very first time. We will be going to Strawberry probably Thursday as Wed. is supposed to be more windy (the front moving in) and the snow is really supposed to hit Friday. It still may be snowy, but not bad as long as we don't venture out too far.

What I would love is to get some hints and ideas from a few of you that have been up there recently on where specifically to go. I want to make it a trip that will make those kids want to go out again.

I have read a number of bait suggestions here, and also have what worked for me 2 years ago there, but any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

If you would like, please post responses here for others to benefit from. If not, and you want to keep your secrets (somewhat) please private message them to me.

Thanks!!!!!!!!
[signature]
I don't know how your post got missed but here goes. Fish with white or green watta crickets or paddle bugs tipped with shinner. Fish right on the bottom in 10' to 30' of water. Watch your line for any movement and set the hook. You will not feel a hit so keep your rod in your hand and watch it at all times. Only jig once in a while and not hard, just a little movement is all you need. Call out on channel 12 for other BFT folks for tips on the ice. Good luck and take a camera as most fish must be returned to the water, under the new regs.DKS.
[signature]
Try the glow in the dark or chartreuse genz worms tipped with mealworm, be sure to rip the head off of the mealworm so its scent oozes a bit. Then drop your lure and fish just up off of the bottom about a foot or so in 17-20 feet deep water. I Have had excellent success from this combination.

Have fun! the berry has been good to me lately. Smile
[signature]
[cool]addicted2fishin, I would echo the tips from these two, and the only thing I'd add is don't think that the deeper you go, the bigger fish you will catch, 'cause usually if you go out to 35 or more feet at the berry during ice season your usually out of the fish zone, or at least not in the area where most of them are hanging out. Stick to 30 feet on down to 15 or 10 ft deep, and you'll probably get into 'em. I'm going to pm you the location that CBR, I, and MikeCromaine have been doing well at. Good luck!!
[signature]
i fished the berry on sunday and monday and caught 90% of my fish on purple petty pullover jigs. i only have one left straightend the hooks on the rest of them and a couple broke off. but they worked pretty good
[signature]
I was just there on Tuesday. Walked past a lot of folks who weren't catching much. We walked about 1/4 mile past everyone (but I don't mind walking). We had a real good day using a variety of jigs. I had 31 fish and was using anything from chartreusse curly tails (2" or 3", but the larger ones would get their tails pulled on), white curly tails, white and pink marabou, white sparkly tube jigs, and kast masters. Literally everything. My buddy caught lots on the same, and even a couple of weird black/pumpkin fuzzy jigs (Foxees I think). Point is, everyone has their favorite and are confident in it, but we didn't find anything they really HAD to have. I think that the key was to get out from the middle of everyone. One of those wire strike indicators will help you if you aren't fishing in a hut. We were in 32 feet of water and mostly catching them on the bottom or just below where you could see your jig at 12-15 feet. Good luck. Fish On!

Fisch R. Mann