Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mud Creek/Berry Report 12-27-04
Hit the Berry this morning with my dad and son. We were heading to the marina, but I was talked into Mud Creek. We headed out near the opening where the "thick" ice ends. Hit the holes around 8 a.m. and right off my dad landed this one:

[inline Dad.jpg]

It was his only fish of the day and needless to say that irritated him. I ended up putting 10 on the ice and lost that many! Plenty of other bites. My son lost 3 and needs to work on his setting the hook skills (He's 8 and catching on fast-- and let me add WILL NOT let me help set it!) [Wink] Then I hit him:

[inline "Another cut.jpg"]

Best fish of the day was one pushing 23 and if you tipped his fins for the DWR pushed 24. He weighed in at 4 lbs. Just for HFT, I tried to show how he was caught on a booger. I've taken long hooked glow in the dark ice flies and tipped them with boogers (guess I better submit this to the "How do you rig boogers line") and it works great for me. Tipped with a minnow chunk. Both minnow and mealies worked all day. Mostly white/small stuff was the trick for me. The fishing was great until 11:30, then like a switch.. gonzo. Caught 1 after, had another break the line at the hole, headed home by 2. Here are some pics of the bigger guy:

[inline Boogers.JPG]

[inline BFT_Cut2.jpg]
Finally, we were in 24 ft of water, picking them right off the bottom and hit some suspended at 12 ft when they came across the finder. Did pick up one bow and my son (even though he will argue all the way home) didn't hear me say keep it as it went down the hole. I guess I'm training well and the catch/release and urgency to return them. Maybe too fast!?!? [unsure] F4F [signature]
[signature]
Great report! Glad you son is learning the tricks of the trade. Thanks for sharing, and goog luck on your next trip.
[signature]
Nice cutt! Great report! Glad to hear you released the bow.
[signature]
Nice one! Looks like you had a killer day aswell today!
[signature]
[cool]Nice fish, dude! I used to shore fish just behind where you guys were. Seen some big fish caught out of that little bay. So, how big would you guesstimate that one that broke off right at the hole to be? Did you get a good look at him? Did he Wink at ya just before he snapped it?[Tongue]
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I will be fishing it next monday. Very helpful information.
[signature]
Out4Trout - He looked good, but nothing special. I kinda horsed him a bit and was more my fault than any. My son was in the middle of "getting a bite", so I was in a rush to ice him, get him off and get over there. Well.. I did, just the wrong way. Kinda felt bad I rushed it and left a hook in him.
[unsure]

F4F
[signature]
How Cool is that!!!!!!
[signature]