Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
odd fishing stories
Ok, don't know that this is the right forum for this, but just read a tubedude post that inspired this and I don't have a lot of time to post right now.
The subject has probably been brought up before with some fun discussions, but I would love to hear your odd fish stories.

The other discussion was that of two fishermen catching the same fish at the same time. I have seen this happen a few time with hungry trout when you are fishing close together.

One of my favorite stories was trolling the boat at Strawberry. A fish broke my line and I lost one of my favorite lures. We later trolled past that same area and another person in the boat got a bite. We pulled it in and there was my lure hanging out of the mouth.

Another was a few years before (pre-boat) we were shore fishing at chicken creek. Someone in my family was bringing in a nice sized one and the line broke about 20-30' from the bait. (might have hit that sagebrush there or something.) Right about that time I felt something on my line. I brought it in and my line had snagged on the line trailing behind this fish as he tried to get away. It was a tangled mess but I got his hook and sinkers back and got a nice fish out of it.

The goal in my family this year as we get the boat out this summer is to see who can catch a trout using the oddest "lure". We will probably be trying some strange ones out of items found around the house just to see what a fish will bite.

Post your odd fishing stories here. Smile
[signature]
I got one, in fact it just happened recently.

Trolling from my boat in very calm water at Jordanelle about 2 weekends ago. I had a nice hit and could tell that the fish was on, started reeling it in and it was going all over the place. All of the sudden there was a bunch of slack in the line and I thought that maybe I was going to lose the fish so I decided to set the hook again...only this time I felt resistance and then nothing. I reeled in and found that not only had I lost the fish, but I had lost my lure also, when the leader broke. (Fireline, then swivel, then leader and lure...the fireline didn't break...).
So I was sitting there in my boat in the calm water going thru my tackle box to find another similar lure that I thought might work, when I heard a funny splashing noise behind my boat about 10 or 20 yards. I looked back and could see a fish surfacing and rolling about on the surface of the water. I watched it for a few seconds and started moving towards it via my electric trolling motor, with my net in hand. As I got to the fish it saw me and tried to dive, but I had already strategically placed my net and was able to grab the fish with it before it dove. (Actually it dove right into my net...).
I got the fish in the boat and there was my lure stuck in its mouth with about 2 feet of leader wrapped around its head clamping its mouth shut! Not only did I get the fish back (17" rainbow) but I got my lure back also. First time that ever happened to me!
Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.

[signature]
How about one from TODAY?

Ice fishing on the Berry with two buddies, one of whom is trying out his xmas present...a new aqua view.

During early excitement he dropped his pole holder down the hole, and you've probably already guessed it, but with the help of a camera and a castmaster he snagged it from the bottom and brought it home.

We were fishing southwest from the marina and I had what I would normally call a great day...iced 10 (double figures eh?) with a couple of them almost certainly larger than slot (but I was supposed to bring the tape measure and I didn't). Buddy with the new toy got too excited to make an exact count but the estimate was 12. Fisch R Mann was there too...we put him outside, we put him inside...he was using the same bait we were but he put 31 on top of the ice. My only consolation was that I got "first fish" ...

It was a great day I just hope this storm materializes and puts a **little** snow on the ice. As you can see from my picture, I tend to be a little top heavy and it was slick out there. I only fell once, 10 feet from shore on the way out. Spun my wheels a bunch of times but managed to stay upright.
[signature]
I was fishing Mill Hollow with my brother when he landed a 14in albino trout. (That is a big fish for us at Mill Hollow) The fish was on land with a hook in his mouth and was 5 feet from shore with a 10in log between him and the water. And he still got away!
[signature]
Here's a few odd ones. First, most recent was last year at Strawberry ice fishing. My motorola cellphone fell out of my front pocket and plop right down the ice hole. I was in about 18 feet of water. Using some inguinuity and after much trial and error trying to retrieve it, I rigged my ice scoop like a puppet and was able to scoop it off the bottom. After tearing it apart and letting it dry out it still works after being submerged for nearly 2 hours! Another one happened quite a few years ago fishing near Otter Creek in Kingston Canyon I was casting and my line got wrapped around a swallow(bird) in mid flight. I reeled it in and was able to get the mess untangled and save the bird but it took me awhile. Lastly, when I was a youngster I can remember my brother casting his bait in front of some ducks because he wasn't catching any fish(he's always been somewhat inpatient LOL). Sure enough one of the ducks took his bait and he proceeded to reel it in as it was flapping and quacking. Needless to say our Dad ran over there in a major panic and had to cut the line before the duck hurt itself and my brother. It was a very funny site but my Dad didn't think it was too funny and gave my brother a good butt kicking. LOL
[signature]
I once was fishing from a very small 2 man raft at Causey with a friend of mine. It was in the late fall and very cold. We had our legs crossing each other in the small raft, powered my a small gas motor. We were so low in the water that my hands were wet from casting and reeling. My hands became very numb from the cold and on my last cast, I let go of my pole without even feeling it go. I was too cold to go in after it, so I just watched as it slowly sank to the bottom of the lake. My friend asked what I wanted to do now and I said, I don't know about you but I'm done fishing for the day.[Here's your sign!] Then I remembered that I had the bail open and was fishing a fly and a bobber. We started looking for the small clear plastic bobber and to my surprise we found the bobber floating on top of the water. We went over to the bobber and I started to pull the line in. The line suddenly got hard to pull and I knew that I was at the knot. I kept pulling the line in, hoping that my knot would hold and all of a sudden there was my pole coming up out of the water. My line was no good now but I had saved my rod and reel. We them motored back to shore and went home, very cold but happy.
[signature]
once while fishing daniels creek i was waiding in the steam fishing with eggs. i caught a rainbow and could not get to the bank to many trees so i waided up strem towards a spot i could sit and creel the fish, as i walked up stream i let my hook drag in the stream as i went, i felt a tugging and looked to see where i was snagged. it was another rainbow snagged in the vent. creeled both fish.
[signature]
This summer my brother-in-law took me fishing at a small stream in Idaho. We had to do quite a lot of deep wading and as we finished up our day I joked that I had fallen down so much I probably could have caught a fish in my pocket. Well, after the drive back home I was cleaning up and reached my hand into my pocket and found a little 2 and a half in sculpin that thought my pocket was a nice place to hide.
[signature]
I was fishing with a fly and bubble set-up in a small alpine lake in Southern Utah about 8 yrs. ago. It was dusk. From a distance, I could see a large bird flying about, but thought nothing of it. The catch action was fast at the time, so I was also preoccupied. I casted out and started to retrieve and....SPLASH! my drag was screaming but the angle of the line was upward. A Great Horned owl had grabbed my bubble out of the water and was flying off with it. The drag was set light and I had light tackle, but the resistance from the line and reel wasn't slowing the owl down at all! He took my bubble and fly about 50 feet and then decided it wasn't a meal after all and dropped it. I got my entire set-up back intact. The lake has a fair sized colony of muskrats and I guess he thought he was catching one of them. My adrenaline was racing to the point that I decided to call it a night at that point.
[signature]