Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how is the fishing up there in maine???
my friend aaron is moving to maine this summer and i want to know what kind of fishing there is up there??

joe
[signature]
[pirate][font "Arial"][font "Arial Narrow"][size 3]"I'm Back"[/size][/font][pirate][/font][size 1]

[/size][font "Arial"][size 3]Hello,[/size][/font][size 1]

[/size][font "Arial"][size 3]It's been a while since I've posted here. due to health reasons, I haven't been fishing as much as I like, but it doesn't mean that I haven't been fishing at all. Here in Maine the fishing has been excellent. This I know due to my own fishing experiences, and listening to reports from others that I know that fish quite often.[/size][/font][size 1]

[/size][font "Arial"][size 3]We have had a relatively cool spring & summer, compared to usual. Yea, we have had our warm days, but for the most part, it's been cool. On the coast usually at this time of the year, the ocean temps are in the 60 to 64 degree range. They are still in the mid 50's. All the spring rains and the cooler weather have combined to make freshwater fishing quite good too. When the waters warm up, the trout fishing usually gets thin, but it is still going strong in many places.[/size][/font][size 1]

[/size][font "Arial"][size 3]For keeping up to date on the fishing up here in Maine, a good website to check out, is that run by the local newspapers up here. Their reporters and contributors do a very good job of keeping abreast of the trends, and on what's biting and what's not. To get to their website, just cut and paste the link below into your browser:[/size][/font][size 1]

[/size][url "http://outdoors.mainetoday.com/fishing/"][font "Arial"][size 3]http://outdoors.mainetoday.com/fishing/[/size][/font][/url][size 1]

[/size][font "Arial"][size 3]Some other state links to check out for information and licensing(for fresh water) are also below:[/size][/font][size 1]

[/size][url "http://www.state.me.us/dmr/"][font "Arial"][size 3]http://www.state.me.us/dmr/[/size][/font][/url][size 1]

[/size][url "http://www.state.me.us/dmr/recreational/saltwaterfishing.htm"][font "Arial"][size 3]http://www.state.me.us/dmr/recreational/saltwaterfishing.htm[/size][/font][/url][size 1]

[/size][font "Arial"][size 3]At the newspaper website will be additional links for fishing in Maine and other valuable info. Check it out, you won't be letdown.[/size][/font][size 1]

[/size][font "Arial"][size 3]Now, I am not claiming that Maine has the best fishing of any state in the U.S., but we have some very good to great fishing. Every state has it's good and bad points, that's a fact, but we have some of the best Striper Fishing you will find anywhere. The good old Kennebec River, which I have a view of from my living room window, is a grand old river. It used to be so polluted 25 years ago, that you couldn't get near it in the summer, as the stench would knock your socks off, but it is a different river today. Now, it is almost pristine. You can travel for miles from it's entrance on the Atlantic Ocean all the way to it's head of tide, north of Augusta, the capital, and enjoy it's beauty. You can fish for Mackeral, Blue fish and stripers at it's mouth, and continue north, being able to fish for Stripers, Smallmouth Bass, Brown Trout, Brook Trout, Carp, White Perch, Yellow Perch, etc, etc. You get the idea. As you go further inland, the water becomes less salty, and many freshwater fish take over. You'd be surprised at how many freshwater species of fish can exist in brackish water.[/size][/font][size 1]

[/size][font "Arial"][size 3]Maine's coastal fishing is in great shape, as well as it's counterparts inland. Maine has many lakes with great fishing. You can fish for Landlocked Salmon, Perch, Smallmouth, Largemouth, Crappy, Muskies, Pickerel, etc, etc... There is quite a variety up here.[/size][/font][size 1]

[/size][font "Arial"][size 3]As for the best bait to use, it varies with species. Read up and learn what kind of fish you plan to fish for, and give them what they like. Talk to the locals and find out what is biting, but most importantly, get your rod in the water and enjoy, because you can't catch fish, if you are not fishing![/size][/font][size 1]

[/size][font "Arial"][size 3]The Striper Maine-iac, "Good "Ol JollyRoger"[pirate][/size][/font][size 1]

[/size][font "Arial"][size 3]"Fish Responsibly - Keep Only What You Can Eat, and return the rest to Grow some More!"[/size][/font][size 1] [/size]
[signature]
welcome back, we have missed you here. I am glad to here you fealing better.

are you aweare of our fishing contest here on the tournament board? its not to late to enter.
[signature]
[pirate][font "Arial Narrow"][size 3]Hello DaveTClown,[/size][/font]

[font "Arial Narrow"][size 3] How have you been? Thanks for the sentiments, I appreciate it. Though I have been away for a little while, I ain't dead yet, not by a long shot. The fishing up here in Maine has been excellent, both fresh water and salt. My preference is saltwater, but I catch my share of Lake Trout, Brookies, Smallmouths, etc. Since Atlantic Salmon are protected up here, I don't target them, but I do try and catch Landlocked Salmon, especially at Lake St. George. Caught a 23" one there about 3 weeks ago. Boy, did he taste good that night! [/size][/font]

[font "Arial Narrow"][size 3] Lately, when I have had a chance to fish on the coast or in the Kennebec River, I have mostly been targeting Stripers. Of all the Stripers I have caught this season so far, only 2 have been keepers, with the others all being outside of the slot limit. I have been catching most og them on Mackeral chunks. The Macs have been very abundant this season, except of course when the Bluefish are in the area. When Macs sense Bluefish in the area, they tend to run for the hills.That's how I know it's time to switch to targeting Blue's. I usually catch enough Macs to keep some for dinner, and then I turn the rest into a blender puree and freeze it into a homemade chum bucket. It helps to attract the Blue when the are in the area. Since I don't have a boat, I usually fish from shore or from docks and piers. Hanging the chum bucket into the water off the side of the dock or pier helps to bring the Blue's within range to target them with Mackeral chunks. I've caught anumber of Blue's this way this summer.[/size][/font]

[font "Arial Narrow"][size 3] Well, that's enough of my rattling on for now, but keep in touch. I will! Take care, and tight lines Amigo![/size][/font]

[font "Arial Narrow"][size 3] [pirate] Ye 'Ol JollyRoger [pirate][/size][/font]

[font "Arial Narrow"][size 3] [/size][/font]

[font "Arial Narrow"][size 3][/size][/font]
[signature]
things got a little dark around here in michigan this past week for a couple days, thoughts of fishing crossed my mind, I opted not to, to many folks were home on the lake.

did the power up there go out and did you get out to do any fishing during this time?
[signature]