Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jacksonville Area Light Tackle Report
OCTOBER’S THE BEST

If you’re looking to catch a giant flounder there’s no better time than the present to start fishing.  The October giants can be found in the lower section of the St. Johns River from Mill Cove out to the Mayport Jetties.  Salty tributaries close to the St. Johns will yield an abundance of double digit flounder this month.
Redfish and Sheepshead will be displaying their tails above water as they invade flooded grassflats in the Intracoastal Waterway looking for drounding fiddler crabs in the spartina grass.  Fly rods are one of the funnest ways to pursue fish on the flats but lightweight spinning tackle can also be a blast.

This month is probably your last chance to get a tarpon inshore this year.  October is also traditionally one of the best months to catch a poon.  The fall mullet run should be in full gear and tarpon are likely going to be recklessly gorging themselves before migrating back south.

Spotted seatrout are still biting well in the St. Johns River, follow the shrimp to the ocean and the trout won’t be far behind.  There’s still outstanding night fishing to be had for seatrout after dark when the weather permits.

Captain Chris Holleman
[signature]
I live in Middleburg Fl and would love to have the chance to catch a flounder. I love to eat flounder, but have never caught one or even seen a live one before. I don't own a boat(yet), so is there anywhere I could fish that would allow me to catch flounder from the bank or a pier?
[signature]