Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SD Tuna Weekend

I got a chance to go tuna fishing on the Indian out of San Diego over the weekend. A two day that our church chartered, through Simon's Net kids fishing Ministries. We left at about 9;30pm on friday. The Indian just got in from a one day about 2 hours before, and back out with us that quick! What a great Crew & Boat, and the food "yikes" it will take me some time burn this off. It was great! We ran on a heading of 235' from Point Loma to the Mushroom Bank, about 105 miles out. We got up at daybrake in the rain. (it has not rained out here for over 6 months) But the ocean was calm & alive! We started trolling at first light. Soon after we were hooked up! With schools of Albacore following the hooked fish to the boat, bait fish hookups came fast & strong! We had easy limits of Albies the first day. The fish were mostly 20 to 30 pounds. Then about dusk schools started showing up on the boats sonar deep! And soon we had a 42 pound Bluefin on the deck and a few smaller ones,20' to 30'. The second day I had one more fish to make my two day limit and most of the boat had Albacore limits. We stopped on a trolled strike and the captain said there were fish deep. So I took a small heavy jig and went to the bow. Dropped down and jigged it once and BAM! it was like I just snaged a rock, what a fun fight. My first Bluefin hit the deck. Five pounds short of the jackpot. we came back to H & M Landing with full limits of Albacore, 6 Bluefin and one Dorado. My hats off to the Captain and Crew of the INDIAN. They worked extra hard to catch us fish and keep us happy. A great trip!
[signature]
crzfsh,
WOW the Indian sure gave you some great memmorys. Is there any chance of a pic or two? Your report is truly a pleasure to read.
Before I forget, I wish to give you a great big WELCOME to the BFT message boards.[Smile]
[signature]

Hello and thank you for the kind words. The trip was alot of fun. I have a bunch of pictures, I am the photographer for Simon's Net Ministries. But I have Web TV and I can't send them. I am going to check out your web site to see how you are helping sick kids and God Bless You for doing it! Once again thank you for the kind greeting.
God Bless
[signature]
Hello [size 1]crzfsh,[/size]

[size 1]If you are trying to send pictures and can't because of your email account, you can use your free bigfishtackle.com email account to send the pictures. [/size]

[size 1]When you registered you also recieved a free email account with your registeration your email address is [url "mailto:crzfish@bigfishtackle.com"]crzfish@bigfishtackle.com[/url] . The nice thing about your free email account is that you can send and recieve email from any computer online. See the link below to get started.[/size]

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gmail/user/webmail.cgi"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gmail/user/webmail.cgi[/url]
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
Crzfsh.

Jig fishing is absolutely one of my favorites, great job on that bluefin..

What jig where you using?

We had a lot of luck with the bft using the Tady 4/0 blue/white glow and the Blu/chrome.

Sounds like an awesome trip, also what were you guys fishing on the slide for the albiez?
[signature]

Hey Boooya
A good friend once told me "Gray light use white" I was using a Iron Man #5 In white. I caught a few Albies on it as well!
When were you out there and did you get any Yellowtail?
[signature]
[Smile]A great weekend, finally!!

The Albies were chewin at the 390 spot (Mexican waters 32 05, 117 45) about 50 miles SE of San Diego. My boat lacks the range, I can only do 40NM, so I was a guest on a friends 21' center console Cobia.

We kept 6 and released perhaps twice that many, mostly 18-20lbs, mostly on flylined sardines following jig or paddy stops. There were also lots of small (6-8 lb) yellowtail, all released. Couldn't find the bluefin tuna, though they are in the area.

Jerry

Empty Nest
Thanx for the report Jerry.

Were you guys finding a lot of paddies or were they pretty scattered.

What technique do you find the best for pulling up to fish a paddy?
[signature]
[Smile]WE slowed to pull the jigs and set up upswell to drift by within 20yards or so to flyline sardines on most paddys. More molas than you could count. Paddys were scattered but not too scarce.

Don't know any best method, but patience can pay off. I have a feeling that a paddy attracts any passing school of tuna, or at least slows them. If you happen to be soaking a bait or two in the vicinity you have a good shot at them. Several times this year after giving up, sticking the rods in the holders, and settling down for lunch or a siesta I've wound up with multiple hookups. Happens often enough that I wonder if just drifting wouldn't be more productive than trolling. Lack the patience to try it..

Jerry

Empty Nest
[signature]
I'll be out Wed/Thurs. Check out these 'cores! [url "http://www.seaforthlanding.com/"]http://www.seaforthlanding.com/[/url]

Fishslayer
[signature]
Nice Fish!

It would be Mr. Fishslayer....

Are you going on the Pac Queen?
[signature]
Unfortunately I wasn't on that trip, but the picture has me excited! I'll be on a 1.5 on the Dolphin II Wed/Thurs.

After stinking up the Outer Limits from pointy end to not pointy end on the Charkbait charter I feel I have to exact some revenge from Mr. Tuna! [mad] Heavy gear & tight drags!

Fishslayer

edit: I'll be on the PQ in November . They went back up to Morro where they have a rep as one of the best (if not THE best) boats going up there.
[signature]