Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slider Grubs
[cool][#0000ff]Back in the late 70's, I tried some new plastic baits I found on the wall at the old Anglers' Inn store in Sandy. They were called "Charley Brewer Slider Jigs". I got them primarily for the unique jig heads they came with, to enable me to fish the brushy cover at Pineview and the rocky and brushy spots at Utah Lake.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]They worked great, with or without the fancy heads. After a while, I quit buying the weedless heads and making my own when I needed them. Lincoln Beach rocks still ate them. Nothing is totally snagproof at Lincoln Beach.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Since then, these little wiggly sticks have become a standard in my tackle boxes wherever I have ended up. They have caught many fish of many species, from both fresh and salt water. Often, they catch fish when nothing else is working.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I got my first slider jigs in Utah, but I cannot find any stores that carry them here anymore. I get mine from Cabelas. They seem to be the only place that carries them anymore. And, many of the colors formerly available (like some of the greens and browns...crawdad colors) are no longer being sold. In fact, I can't even find my favorite smoke sparkle any more. Good I bought twenty packages before they were discontinued.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]These little jigs are some of the best you can use for Utah's "pan fish"...white bass, crappies, perch, 'gills and smallies (largemouth too). And, yes, they are great for ice fishing. The little swimming tail wiggles at the slightest motion of the rod. The white and the chartreuse are at least as effective as paddlebugs, whattacrickets and boogers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In the pics taken from the Cabelas online store, you can see the current colors available. I have attached pics showing the standard colors I have accumulated over the years, and some of the custom dyed colors I have found to be most effective. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have also included a pic of some of the styles and colors of jig heads I use most for fishing these plastics. Most of the time you will be fishing water less than 10-15 feet deep, so light tackle and size 4 hooks on 1/16 and 1/32 oz. heads are about right. I fish them both as single jigs and rigged tandem...with either two jigs of the same color or different.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]On many of my small jig heads, I use a pair of flat surface pliers to squeeze the soft lead heads flatter. This makes for more painted surface (bigger profile), and also adds to the wiggle and flutter...either on the drop or while retrieving. Sometimes the plain small round head works best. You have to experiment.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
Charlie Brewer's Panfish Sliders An absolute must for anyone who pursues crappie and other panfish. Charlie Brewer designed his original panfish slider heads over 35 years ago, and they're still catching fish. The up and down, swimming action of the slider imitates an injured baitfish, just begging perch, crappie, bream and even trout to take a bite. The jig heads are made with an offset hook, allowing the body to be fished as a grub or as a texas rig. Available in a variety of colors and weights.
[Image: i115963sq01.jpg]
Charlie Brewer's Crappie Slider Grub
Grubs are 1-1/2" long with a soft body, and a vibra-tail that imitates the movement of bait to invite a strike. These slider bodies also can be used with other jig heads. 20 per pack.
Colors: (001)White, (221)Cotton Candy, (090)Black/Chartreuse, (096)Chartreuse, (205)Red/Chartreuse, (241)Glow.

[Image: i115965sq01.jpg]
Charlie Brewer's Crappie Slider Heads
The weedless design of these heads will keep your jig free of annoying obstructions. 20 per pack.
Available: 1/32 oz.,1/16 oz., 1/8 oz., 1/4 oz.
Colors: (026)Orange, (003)Black, (005)Red, (096)Chartreuse.
[signature]
IVE HAVENT SEEN THOSE IN A LONG TIME. I HAVE A VIDEO OF ALL LINDER WALLEYE FISHING IN CANADA USING THEM. HE CALLED THEM BEVER TAIL GRUBS. THEY PRODUCE A THUMPING VIBRATION LIKE A SASY SHAD. IVE CAUGHT SOME GOOD EYES IN UTAH LAKE ON SASYS ,WHEN EVERY ONE ELSE IS USING TWISTERS ILL SWITCH UP FOR THE DIFFERNT VIBRATION. NICE LOOKING STUFF. O CHUCK AND I WERE TALKING ABOUT YOU THE OTHER DAY. HE WAS TELLING ME ABOUT YOUR GEAR. DAMN MAN SOUNDS LIKE A THREE LIFETIME SUPPLY... QUESTION? YOU BUILD SO MUTCH STUFF HOW DO U TEST IT ALL , LIKE IF YOU BUILT A JIG DO YOU TRY IT ONCE OR TWICE ONTHE SAME FISH ORE DIFFERNT TIMES OF YR OR DEPTHS OR DIFFERNT WATER . BECAUSE I BET IF YOU WENT THROUGH YOUR OLD STUFF DO YOU EVER TEST THEM AGAIN THE RESEARCH SEEMS OVERWELMING. KEN
[signature]
Hey Pat..Go directly to the source for all of your Slider needs.

[url "http://www.fishingworld.com/Slider/"]http://www.fishingworld.com/Slider/[/url]

I know people who have ordered right from the Brewer site. Their selection is great, and from what I hear, they ship quickly. Sportsmans from time to time has a very limited selection, as well as Boaters Outlet ( I think that's the name of the place ) on State at about 21st South. Right next to the Inkley's.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]They used to make them in the 4" size, and I used a lot of the smoke sparkle ones wherever there were shad in the food chain. A great bass jig.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I also use a lot of swim baits. I started using the old "Sassy Shad" on Willard Bay when they came out back in the 70's. I would buy the plain pearl, and color blue backs or red backs on them with permanent markers. They worked great on crappies and walleyes (and cats). Drove the tackle shops nuts when everybody was looking for them in my custom colors, which were not out yet. Now you can get them in every color imaginable. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The vibrating tail on swim baits is the secret to their attraction. I sometimes cheat a bit and snip out just a tiny bit of the plastic connecting the paddle to the body. Gives it even more vibration.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]About the research. Research is part of the fun. As you well know, you can't always buy what you would like to have...like different size hooks on different size heads. And, when it comes to colors, sometimes you have to "cut and paste" or custom dye your plastics to get the "hot" colors.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I assure you, I do not have a separate storage facility full of unused experiments. I usually only do a few of something new, and then give it a good workout. Almost everything I come up with will catch fish, and gets used until I either wear it out or break it off. But, the best stuff becomes a permanent part of my arsenal.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You WILL have to come over sometime. I have walls of plastic boxes. Some have only unpainted jig heads...some painted. Lots of loose plastics. Before I go fishing each time, I put together a box of the stuff I anticipate will work the best...and then take about ten boxes of other stuff I never use. (sound familiar?)[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]After more than a few years of fishing, and keeping logs (both written and mental), I have become pretty good at guessing what it's going to take under the conditions I expect to encounter. Yeah, I am wrong more often than I like to admit (full moon, front moving through, etc.), but I usually take care of business.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The difference between how WE fish, and some of the less experienced anglers, is that we DO alter our tackle and techniques over the course of the year, even on the same water, fishing for the same species. A lot of newbies throw the same thing in the same place year round, and complain most of the year that the fishing is bad.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of the things I have forced myself to do, when testing something new, is to limit my tackle to variations of that particular lure. That makes me focus and work to find out how to fish it right, and whether or not it will work at all. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I learned that a long time ago, when I used to chase bass a lot. I had an oldtimer take away everything but one rod and a box of plastic worms, and told me he wouldn't take me back in until I had wormin' down "Pat". After that, I did the same thing to myself on crankbaits, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, etc. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Using that same approach to learn one species at a time, one water at a time and one lure at a time will ultimately make somebody a better all around fisherman.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Anyhow, shoot me a PM and we will work out a get together.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks for the link. I am normally a pretty efficient web scrounger. Just hadn't taken the time to try to hunt them up. You saved me the time.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also happy to see they still make them in the larger sizes too. Ima gonna show those to some walleyes.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]So, Pat, do you buy those slider jig heads, or do you have a similar jig mold, or do you just buy those plastics and fish them on your own jig heads that you pour yourself? Those slider plastics look awesome, and I'm going to have to get me some of them for the different swimming action that they produce over just curly tails! Thanks for the info and for the pictures of them.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I do not buy ANY jig heads anymore. The ones in the pics are all poured in a standard round head w/barb jig mold...either 1/16 oz. or 1/32 oz. Some of them I paint in the round form. Others I flatten and paint. But, they are all "home made".[/#0000ff]
[Image: 471019.jpg]

[#0000ff]It is real easy to get sold on those little critters. All you gotta do is drag one just under the surface and watch the action. The tail vibrates like crazy and will almost sputter like a mini buzzbait when you run it across the top. I have actually fished it with just a light hook and run it on top for big bluegills and small bass. I'm anxious to try that on some stream brownies too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Down deep, you lift them and drop them slowly, and the tail calls "come hither". Then, when you stop it, and maybe just give it a little shivver, WHAMO. I love 'em.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I just got a box from Cabelas today, with six packages of the new chartreuse color. It has the silver flakes in it and it really makes some good combo colors. Gonna be killer.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Right on, TubeDude! I've got that round jighead with the collar and barb, and look forward to using it very soon! Can't wait for that jigmaking party! Also, I've gotta order me some of those Slider Grub bad boys. They look awesome!
[signature]
This "walleye challenged" angler can vouch that sassy shad plastics work quite nicely (even for me) for the toothy ones at Utah lake. (cats too). I noticed on the slider website that they offer a combo with a "roadrunner" type blade setup. That isn't a bad idea for the intermediate smallies and chubby perch at Jordanelle? (The shorter tail may also be harder for the dink perch to bite off too, compared to twist tail jigs.) Can't wait to try it. Thank you Tube Dude for the always excellent information and new ideas.
[signature]
Those look alot like walleye assasans, just they have a ribbed body instead of a smooth body, do these produce better action?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Danged if you ain't onta sumpin'. I have been making and using Roadrunners for years, and I have had great results by hanging those sliders on them. I also use them with shad swim baits and willow leaf spinners on the Roadrunner head.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]And yes, the smallies and perch at Jordy go gaga over them, in a whole bunch of different colors. Matter of fact, it is harder to find something they won't hit than something they will. But, the bigger smallies usually come on greens and browns...good crawdad colors. Oh yeah, don't overlook purple up there. Tore them up last year on purple.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I firmly believe that a lot of stuff in fishing is designed to catch fishermen...not fish. But, in the case of the ridges on plastic baits, there is some belief that they cause more water disturbance and vibration. I'm personally not sensitive enough to tell the difference, but many species of fish have well developed sensory organs in their lateral lines that help them detect and zero in on their food. Supposedly some of them are so sensitive they can detect a fin flick at twenty paces...or something like that.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The big issue is not how the body is made, but how the tail works. If you get good vibrations, then it doesn't matter if the body is smooth or ribbed. However, there are a ton of bassers out there that firmly believe in using ribbed plastics. If nothing else, they probably hold more scent longer.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[green][size 2]Damn kids! I didn't go to all that trouble naming Jordanelle "Lake X" for nuthin'![pirate][/size][/green]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I'm sorry, Daddy. I was just athinkin' you might want some help gettin' those pesky perchies outta there. You know they ain't nobody else gonna mess with those smallies as good as y'all...'ceptin' maybe Predator.[/#0000ff]
[signature]

Just an update on this old thread. I placed an on-line order with the Charlie Brewer Co. and got prompt and excellent service and a generous supply of free samples with my order. They are highly recommended. I can't wait to try them now.
[signature]
[cool]Cool! Thanks for the update, doggonefishin'. I've now got that website bookmarked. Now, if I only had some money to blow on those sliders! Guess I need some patience.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yeah, I too ordered a bunch of stuff and am very happy with the service. Not only that, I saved 15% on the small sizes I usually get from Cabelas, about 50% on the shipping, and I got several new colors and sizes not available anywhere else that I know of.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I got several colors in the 3" size that I know will be walleye killers. I also got some other colors for custom dyeing. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am already getting ready for the spring fling on Utah Lake. I have probably made up over 300 new jig heads in the last month. With some extra water in the old pond, this should be a good year for both the fish and the fishermen.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
So...you're saying that "ribbed for extra pleasure" also applies to fishing? [Wink]

Pat I was up at Saguaro again today. There were a lot of people fishing...but not much catching going on. There were even a couple of tubers in Butcher Jones that said they were chaising yellows. They didn't find them though...not surprised it being January and all.

I wasn't fishing though, I was chasing ducks. I went back into the main canyon and fished one of those small bays. Those look like they should produce some yellows come April. Have you ever fished back there? It's probably too far of a kick in a tube.

It was a beautiful day though!! Not a breeze anywhere and 72 degrees and just enough fishermen out to keep the ducks moving for me....now if I could only shoot straight.

It sounds like I need to pick up some of those slider jigs for some yellows. I won't be doing anything until spring break (March 13-20), but the yellows should be starting to open their mouths a little by then and I plan to try to pull in a few.

You said to never overlook purple, but what do you think of the shades of blue out there? It seems like I can always find blue plastics in the bargain bins, but I've never tried them. Any experience? I'm thinking of trying some senkos in blue (found them cheap online). What do you think?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]If you are going to practice safe casting, it is better with ribbed plastic, for sure.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You can catch yellows this time of year in Saguaro, but they are usually deep...like 50 feet or so...where the shad schools hang out in cold water. Rarely will anything more than an occasional 4 incher come into the cove, which maxes out at about 25 feet.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Those slider grubs work great on most of the lakes in Arizona. Get the smoke sparkle and anything with blue in it. Think small shad and you can catch crappies, white bass, yellow bass, largies and cats with them. Had extremely good luck with those in the mid summer, when the new shad hatchlings school on the surface. Even big bluegill chase them. Use a light head and retrieve them just under the surface.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Oh yeah, be sure to pick up some whites too. I use those with the white head and red eye almost all year.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have been all over Saguaro in a boat. Most of the coves have good schools of yellow bass in the spring. They move in to spawn along the rocky edges, and you can get them in fairly shallow water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In late summer, take a boat clear up to the head of the lake, where the cooler water comes out of Canyon Lake. There is more oxygen and some current. A lot of the fish leave the lower end of the lake during the calm hot summer months. Except cats. That's when you get some bigguns at night, on small bluegills.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I can't wait for this spring. I'm going to get on those yellows and then in May I'm going to try for a trip down to Mexico.
[signature]