Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
making a french spinner "inline"

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=7858;]
[signature]
Thanks Nomoose for the visuals on how to make a spinner. That will help alot for us amateurs. Now I'll know what to buy to give it a try.
[signature]
COOL, nice job
I don't fish freshwater do they work in saltwater?
Who cares I need something to do this CA rain is no fun[Sad]
[signature]
To start you can get body parts, blades, wire,and hooks from [url "http://www.jannsnetcraft.com"]www.jannsnetcraft.com[/url] and others if you look around some bait shops will have stuff if you look. they are real easy to make and can save you lots. plus by making your own you can show the fish some thing they haven't seen before.
[signature]
I like the idea of showing them something that they haven't seen before. Sent for the how to book and a catalog.See how it goes.
[signature]
I think you will like. heck I liked it so much I do it full time now. well that and musky guide here in utah
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You betcha they work in the salt. During my years in SoCal I fished spinners in the surfline a lot. Got lots of barred surf perch, a few corbina, some small calicos and sandies in some areas, and even some flatties. In fact, when the halibut are in shallow, you can catch some substantially above legal size. Tough to beach them though, with the light lines you typical fish with in the surf. Probably my most "interesting" fish I caught on a spinner from shore was a big nasty cabezone, up near Carpinteria near some rocks.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Take an asssortment of sizes, in both gold and silver blades. If you use colored bodies or dressed (hair or feathers) tail hooks, use oranges, yellows, reds, whites or chartreuse. Depending on the season and the clarity of the water, colors can add to your fish count.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you fish them from the shore, you usually don't have to wade out and power cast beyond the last wave, like a lot of the heavy surf rod guys do. There are lots of good fish in close, especially on the calmer days. Look for channels and troughs within easy casting distance. Cast just beyond them, after a wave has passed and then retrieve slowly through the deeper spots, letting the backwash work the spinner. Hang on, because the fish hit going away as they move in and out with the waves.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]During the fall, when the Santana winds blow offshore, the surf lays down and the water is clear enough on many beaches to see the bottom for a ways out. It is great sport to watch the fish chase the spinner. It scares the heck out of ya when a big flattie suddenly erupts from the sand to snarf the lure.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, if you make some big spinners, big enough for largemouth, northerns or muskies, you can sling them for offshore stuff too. I got some nice barries, bonito and calicos around Catalina on a couple of spinner tossing trips. Hooked up to a yellow once, but my 10 pound line didn't hold up to the rock he found.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I like to use Colorado or Indiana blades on the stuff for surf fishing. For bigger spinners and bigger fish, I go with willowleaf blades. You can crank them faster and they flutter nicely, without too much drag in the water. I think they look better to the bigger fish too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Oh yeah, one application for saltwater that most people would never think of...jig spinners vertically...with or without a piece of bait. They are great for shallow water bottom fish. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I actually make a line of spinners I call "jingle jigs". I add a short length of wire, with a spinner blade, to a jig head (plain or dressed). With a plastic grub added, they work fine without bait added. On the "bait bug" style, add a bit of "sweetener" to increase the effectiveness. Fish them just off the bottom, bouncing them up and down.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I also have a lot of other spinner innovations. I pour some kinds of jig heads with a length of wire coming out the top. I cut off the eye of the hook, on the finished jig head, and then use the wire to make a spinner (see pic). I also use single hooks on many spinners, to increase hooking and holding potential on larger fish. These are usually dressed with chenille, hair, feathers and/or flashabou. The single hook also makes it easier to add a piece of crawler, shrimp or other bait.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[red][size 4]ME LIKE SPINNERS[/size][/red]
[signature]
thanks for the info norm. im going to start making my own spinners soon[Tongue]
[signature]
May I offer you my web page [url "http://www.make-your-own-fishing-lures.com/fishing-spinners.html"]http://www.make-your-own-fishing-lures.com/fishing-spinners.html[/url] as another source of making your own spinners?

Let me know if it helps...or doesn't.
[signature]
I make my own lures all the time... lots of fun... I typically make Spinners, wobblers, Ice fishing spreaders, flys... etc...
I get all my gear here...
http://www.luremaking.com/componentlist.htm

Here are more sites
http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/Items.aspx?...sp=gallery
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/articles/t..._lures.htm
http://webx.ntu.edu.sg/ntuanglers/html/Gallery_lmc.html
http://www.barlowstackle.com/fishing-lure-skirts.html
http://www.luresonline.com.au/webcontent7.htm
[signature]
thanks for the share,

I would like to have a printable version of this if you still have it.

drop me a pm if you do. I would like to put it to use with my volunteer work I do with the youth orginizations in my area...
[signature]
Dave ... you can do a quick copy of the parts you want and paste it into a word processing software (word, word perfect). You can then add any graphics, headings or footings you want.

That is after you get permission to do so.
[signature]
Thanks, I am not making any thing to distribute, Just a single laminated flash card to aid in one on one instruction.

I got it using several graphics programs, I was hopeing for an easy button on it... LOL nothing ever comes easy my way...
[signature]
Thanks for the info...it'll be so simple to substitute a single hook for the treble and turn those into top notch spinners for steelhead in the streams...can't wait to make a few.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I use single hooks on most of my spinners, even when it is not a requirement. I find that they hook just as well as trebles (maybe better) and they hold larger fish better than small trebles.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Since I am also a fly tier, I make many of the single hooks as fly patterns or as "bait bugs"...to which I add a piece of crawler or fish meat as added enticement. Shrimp works good as a "sweetener" for steelies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=17756;]
[#0000ff]Here is a pic of some of the trout models I make. They also work for steelies. I used to live in Sacramento and used them up and down the Pacific Coast.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
OK I give, where's the pic?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]It was an attachment at the bottom. But, just to make sure, I resized the pic and added it to the post.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Okay now?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
those are sweet lookin...around here they're using the clevis and spinner combo instead of the "through the blade" deal and a single elongated and weighted bead instead of multiple beads...probably because there's so much timber in the water in our creeks...but I agree totally, the single hook will hold onto a bigger steelie better than the small trebles unless of course, the steelie totally engulfs the bait.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I also make a lot of spinners with clevices and Colorado or Indiana blades...using single long weighted body beads. I have different spinners and different applications for many different kinds.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of my own inventions (as far as I know) is the "jig spinner". Since I pour my own jig heads, I have "modified" some of my molds to allow me to insert a wire before pouring. When the pour hardens, I clip off the jig hook eye and I have a weighted spinner body already attached to a single hook. I use these a lot for trout trolling and casting for bass and other species. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Oh yeah, they work great in streams for trout and steelies too.[/#0000ff]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=17757;]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=17758;]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=17759;]
[signature]
Yakima Bait Company bought out the Hildebrandt Corporation recently and they produce a bait called the Snagless Sally which I've been using for over 25 years...sounds like that's what you're describing...Google up Snagless Sally and check it out.
[signature]