Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
turn your old plastic worms into new baits
Did you know that you can reuse your old plastic worms. yes you can remelt them down to make something new. first you will need a mold. hum well you could look on the net and buy one or you can make one. now by making your own you can come up with a kind that has been in your head for sometime now and just never seen it at the bait shop.

MAKING A MOLD

there are lots of ways to make a mold most people that make there own use RTV rubber "for making molds" you can get it from [url "http://www.barlowstackle.com/"]www.barlowstackle.com[/url] "and some molds" or you can make one from plasterparis. or you can also use the 100% silicon that you get from home depot just thin it a bit with water. to make a new kind of lure get some clay from your kid and make one the way you want the lure to look.
ok now you need some thing to make the mold in. easiest way is to take some legos yes legos and make a 4 sided wall about 2 or 3 high thats up to you put that on a old box top and pour you stuff into and let it set for just a bit then take your worm and get it wet from water and push it half way into the rubber and let it set over night. now you have a one sided mold if you want a 2 side you need to get add more legos and take some plastic wrap "that you get from your wife lay it down on top of the mold you just made and cut out where your new bait is so just the bait is out . now get the bait wet one more time "but now to much " and put back, and pour more rubber. let that set 2 days or more if you can. and you should have a mold. *it does take a few sometimes to get it right so keep at it
MELT the bait
ok now you need the old baits. you can keep all the colors the same or mix for new colors. you just melt them now in a pan on your stove or in a lead melt pot or you can even do it in the microwave it's up to you. but I like the stove so I dont burn the plastic. when it's melted you can add some salt if you like and mix it in good just before your pour in the mold.

POURING
ok now you ready to pour this will take a few time to learn just how much and how fast it pours so know that up front. slowly pour in your mold if you have just one sided mold your done let it set for 5 mins or if you have a 2 sided go to next part or so then then put in bowl of water "helps make it a bit harder and stay together"
If you have a 2 sided mold pour the other side {you can use another color if you would like} and let set for just a bit until you can move the mold to fit onto the other then put some weight on the mold for about 5 mins. now open and put in a bowl of water.

and now you have new baits out of old.
[signature]
Yea now your talking![sly]
But are all plastic baits reuseable ?
And if you melt them indoors will it release harmful vapors? [Sad]
[signature]
I have never not seen a reusable plastic. I'm almost sure all are. and yes they do let out some bad stuff so do it with a window open just a bit.
[signature]
Be careful if your using a microwave!! pyrex cups work the best,in the microwave, but they can explode if you take them hot out of the oven and into cold air or worse set it on a cold metal bench. The glass doesn't like abrupt temperature changes. If your working in the cold, set your hot pyrex on a piece of wood! If your reusing old plastic worms, or heating any plastisol one thing to remember is plastic is oil based and doesn't mix with any water base materials. like water based scents.and biodegradable fishing lures like berkley gulp. just a little info for safety!

James
[signature]
Thanks Manica

[font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][size 3]So can the water based scents.and biodegradable fishing lures like berkley gulp be reused?
And has anyone found a way to revitalize a dryedup Berkley Gulp ?[/size]
[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
I'M not sure if you can melt the berkley gulp baits, and pour them into a mold. It seems like I had read somewhere, where someone tried, but it didnt work. I don't buy berkley soft lures anymore I make my own. I can customize colors,scent, and salt content for any situation. Check out my web- site we are adding reapers and a new worm ,sometime this week. Good luck with remelting your plastics and good fishing!
James
[signature]
thanks for the info james. ive used your products and am hooked on them. i plan to do alot of warmwater fishing this year and always have my maniacs with me.
[signature]
Thanks Petty and good luck fishing this year! Hopefully there will be enough run off this year, to fill our lakes and keep us ripping bass, and wipers all summer. [sly] well and trout too!!
[signature]
I will try that tonight
[signature]