Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KING OF THE SEA ROBBINS
Went to the beach in Seaside Park yesterday after reading all the reports of pods of Mullet with stripers rolling in them stupid me for believing the bait shop reports no mullet pods no stripers but dozens of searobbins was catching them 2 at a trime on a hi-lo rig they do fight good but waste all your bait I had one on I thought I had a big striper or bluefish ended up being the biggest searobbin I ever saw this thing had me running the beach I was all excited thinking it was gonna be my first striper my 10'6" rod was bent all the way and the drag on the penn reel was screaming when I finally got it in and saw what it was well lets just say it was a good thing there were no women or kids there another #&$@@(* searobbin I was yelling at the fish finally I started to get some big Croakers and 2 small blues and I had a good laugh when I read the bait shop reports for yesterday and saw that they were saying there were loads of Mullet with a ton of bass rolling in them again with huge bass being weighed in at their shops anybody I talked to on the beach yesterday said they got me with their lies still had a good day on the beach the moral of this story don't believe the bait shop reports they are trying to make money off you and will tell you what you want to hear
[signature]
[b][b]Thanks Hutch00

Ya know that is vary much true what they say about a business makes no money if the fishing is no good.

This really makes me miss Dicks Bait and Tackle (a shop form many years ago now with its doors broken down and the roof caving in)

Dick the owner and his wife and her family ran the business. The great thing about this shop was even on a day raining so hard snow up to your tail bone and even on Christmas day at 5 am in the morning his doors were open and on the out side of the store on the wall was a meter sign that pointed to the fishing conditions from time to retool to hold on tight.

At 5 am you could expect the doors open and if the coffee wasn’t on it was cause you didn’t put it on when u came in or u drank the last cup and didn’t reload the pot.

This shop wasn’t much bigger than the average size of a normal living room but it was the best bait shop in a 50 mile radios, u didn’t go fishing if you didn’t stop at Dick’s for bait and tip’s.

He new that even if you left his store after drinking his free coffee and not buying a thing, you would be back for your equipment perches and bait because you received creditable information on how the bite was or how to set up for a particular fish where or when to hook in to them

Imagine sitting back in a rocker like in them Norman Rockwell and talking fishing for hours on end when the bite was no good, learning tips that even the pro’s didn’t know. And if ya sat there long enough he’d and ya a “create of worms” to count out while you was a jabbering and learning the skill.

Of course there were those who came in with their fancy fissin vest and the flies in their hats coming out from the big city (Detroit) thinking they had learned all the secrets about catching the big-uns. Who soon sat in when there was a rocker available to join in to learn and pass on their experiences (Just like here at Bigfishtackle.com) to any one who would listen. I swear that sum of them fish tails was so big you’d need a pry bar just to get it out the door.

So I guess what it is I am trying to say here is, ya it would be nice to know at times how good my chances are of hooking in to a fish might be (not that it would matter all that much cause I’d probably still go any way.) The fishing experience thing on a whole is what is most important to me. That kid in the store most likely doesn’t have a clue of what the fish are doing nor dose the store manager they been cooped up in side them 4 walls 40 to 60 hours a week (how could they know any thing?) it is a business to them not a way of life.

The last thing you want is to waist your time and I can fully understand your plight, so with this in mind I would strongly suggest that you shop around for a fishing shop, one that caters in people and not on sales receipts. And don’t forget to tell every one about the experience and the feel of the store. When you find a good store they will tell you when the fishing is good because it wants and needs repeat customers.

And better yet would be to become a regular member here and tell all your fishing and hunting friends about this site and what it has to offer with its anglers from around the world giving their season “what’s biting now tips” “when to expect the bite to come on” and the seasons and conditions that are best for the fish you are looking for. Share your knowledge and others will be more than happy to share theirs with you.

Keeping this in mind you can read the backlog of fishing reports and pretty much know who and when to book a trip for your next vacation.

One last side note on Dicks Bait and Tackle is on the day he sold his business 25 years ago, was the last day of his life. He had a heart attack and passed on. And from that day his little shop slowly passed away as well because no one knew how to make fishing a way of life instead of a retail business, you can not compete with big business when it comes to price. But big business cannot compete with an institution that is a way of life.[/b][/b]
[signature]
Dave,
You sure know how to hit home every time you make a post like this!
You had your Dicks place in your younger years and many of us can remember a place like it. At least the older anglers do!
Sure would be nice to see how many shops like Dicks are still around.
The reason I ask is that at Port Aransas Texas out on mustang island there is such a shop. It is called Billmoore's. Of cource the shop has been there as long as I can remember. Old man Mr. Moore has passed on but before he did he brought his son's in to the shop to learn how it had to be done! I am verry happy to say that it is still the great place is has always been! You can always count on that cup of coffie and the daily reports directly from the anglers that have stoped in just to boast about the catch of the day. I still remember the days that I would go in to pick up some hooks or other supplys for a day of fishing and never leave untill time to call it a day and head for home. Just like you said, Days like that is what would always bring me right back to Billmoore's when ever I neaded somthing for my next day of fishing. [Smile]
[signature]