Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek in a tube?
As far as I know, Deer Creek hasn't frozen over yet, and it may not freeze over at all this year with the weather being so warm. Last year we went about this time and caught a lot of nice fish just off the island. My question is this. Could I get in my float tube, paddle out to the same place where we ice fished last year, fish with the same gear (or something different), and catch fish in January even though there isn't any ice on top of the water? I guess what I'm asking is whether anybody has been float tubing at Deer Creek lately or is this a completely crazy idea? At the very least, even if I don't catch any fish, I shouldn't have to put up with crazy boaters and water skiiers in January.
[signature]
[cool]I bet TubeDude would go with ya. He tubes every month of the year if there's soft water. And yeah, at least there won't be those jerks in waterskiing boats and waverunners trying to use you as a pylon to skip in and out of.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have been codgertatin' about hittin' Deer Creek myself. The problem is not in what to do when you get on the water, but how to get to it with all the snow. Winter fishing on Deer Creek is often very productive, both hard water and soft water. As you point out, there ain't much competition on the water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]And yes, fishing from a float tube this time of year is just like ice fishing. You can get some trout by slinging spoons or spinners, but you will do better with a vertical presentation. The fish will hit the same jigs and ice flies as they will through the ice.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Depending on whether or not they have plowed the parking lot of the Island launch ramp, you will probably have to drag your gear through the snow, like I did last week at Lincoln Beach. (see pic). [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I won't be able to get out this weekend, but depending on weather and other factors, I might just be open to hookin' up with ya for a launch next weekend.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Anybody going by the Island Launch Ramp, or any other access points, we would appreciate a looksee report on conditions. I may be a bit off kilter, but I don't wanna have to slog through six feet of snow to get to the water. Heck, if it gets cold enough, maybe we can bring the augers.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
chuck and i are working out details for tuesday on dc. dude if your open tuesday. we are going to take chucks boat. we are going to fish deep for eye,s down by the booie line. and off the big cliff on the east side . last yr bob did pritty well in 65 to 80 ft out there. let us know if you up yo it.
[signature]
Hey Crossineye, what time are you guys out with the boat at? If the weather is favorable, I'll be takin' the boat out of my garage. Let me know how the plan is.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sorry, no can do on Tuesday. As I recall, Bob found a lot more fish than he caught...which is usual on that pond.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck, and let me know how you do.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
THIS WAS TRUE BUT CHUCK AND I WERE NOT THERE. AND WE ARE GOING TO TRY SOME MOORE AGRESSIVE NEW TACTICS. WE WANT TO EXPERIMENT WITH SPLICED IN LEADCORE AND TROLL SOME BIG RAPALAS. HAVE A INFISHERMAN VIDEO WITH KEITH KAVIEZ. AND GARY PARSONS. SHOWING THIS PRESINTATION IN LATE SEASON. IT WAS SNOWING LIKE MAD AND THE FISH WERE STILL ACTIVE. THIS VIDEO WAS CALLED THE BOTTOMS UP. START AT THE BOTTOM IN ABOUT 40 FT AND WORK UP TILL YOU HOOK UP THEN DUPLICATE DEPTH BY NUMBER OF CRANKS OFF BOTTOM. ALSO WANT TO TRY JIGGING RAPALAS. AND BOTTOM BOUNCERS IN DEEP WATER. WE WILL LET YOU KNOW. PUALY WE WILL BE UP ABOUT FIRST LIGHT OR SO.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Good luck. Last time I checked a map, Deer Creek was not part of the "great lakes". I personally believe that it is it's own little ecosystem and that the fish are tied into a unique pattern of life over a 12 month cycle. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There is no major prey species, existing in large numbers, that moves up and down in the water column and drags the predators (walleyes) along with it. In the big lakes, you look first for schools of baitfish and then start fishing for the schools of walleyes. In Deer Creek, you have to look for isolated rocks and structure, that will hold singles and doubles of walleyes. Tough to find schools of them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I also do not think the weather makes as much difference as the season. In the winter there is just not the food resources available to Deer Creek eyes, so they shut down and wait it out until spring spawning generates some small fry of other species.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I hope you guys are able to work something out and make a major discovery. Those fish have frustrated too many good fishermen for too long.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
THIS IS VERY TRUE. DEER CREEK EYES ARE SOME OF THE TUFFEST AROUND TO PATERN. THROUGH THE LAST12 YRS WE CHUCK AND MYSELF HAVE DESCOVERD SOME GREAT ONES THAT HOLD TRUE YR AFTER YR. SUCH AS PICHING LARGE RAPALAS AT NIGHT IN TWO SPOTS THAT ALWAYS PRODUCE GOOD FISH. LIKE THAT ONE ON CHUCKS WALL. CAUGHT AT 11,30 AT NIGHT ON A FULL MOON. I BET WE ARE INVESTED MOORE THAN 3000 HRS ON DC. OVER THE YRS. BUT IN THAT VIDEO THEY WERE IN KANSAS. THEY SAID THEY HAD TESTED THIS TECH ALL OVER THE COUNTRY AND WON MANY TURNYS BECUASE OF THIS SYSTEM. WHAT WAS REALY INTERESTING WAS LOCATION OF FISH AT THIS TIME OF YR. LOTS OF EYES STACK OFF DROPOFFS BUT JUST AS MANY CRUISE THE FLATS ON THE SAND AND MUD IN DEEP WATER AND THESE FISH WILL CHASE NOT LIKE THE STACKED FISH. AND HOW MANY BAIT FISH ARE PRESSANT IS A BONUS. LARGER STICK BAITS WILL BETTER RESEMBLE THE PREY THAT ARE PRESSANT. IM SURE THAT WE WILL LERN SOMETHING. AND MAYBEE EVEN CATCH A FISH TOO. WOULD LOVE TO FIND A FEW PEARCH UP THERE ALSO.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Just remember that the law says this time of year you have to keep the first 10 perch you get.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
THAT WILL WORK FOR ME. BUT WHAT ABOUT THE TROUT GUYS? IF THEY CATCH ONE DO THEY HAVE TO KEEP IT?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]No special regs on the trout. They put the keep 'em all rule on the perch because this time of year most of them come from deep water and their air bladder comes out their mouths. You can "fizz" them but there is a mortality factor. Most of what you bring to the surface is going to die, so the DWR does not want people throwing back a bunch of smaller fish, culling for a limit of larger ones.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I was at the State Park boat ramp today (1/15, gated, so launching a boat is not possible) for about an hour, no bites, no wind until about 10:45 am. Saw two tubers on the water, one on a pontoon and one on round tube. After I was done at the boat ramp, drove over to the island boat ramp and it was all clear. Saw three boats on the water and a Tracker bass boat launching. Ice wise, thin layer of ice in Rainbow Bay, Wallsburg, from the dam to the sailboat launch area. There was open water areas at both ramps and some around the island. Looks like Deer Creek is trying its best to get an ice cap on.
[signature]
Hey TubeDude,

I was fishing Deer Creek in the fall and as I went out I thought there was a bunch of wood in the water. As soon as I got close, I realized they were fish and they all took off. Scared the crap out of me. There must have been 50 fish kind of bobbing on top of the water. Are there carp in there? Would they be something else?

Tuber
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]YES, to all of the above. There are DEFINITELY carp in Deer Creek, and there are some bigguns.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]"Rafting" is common among carpkind. Almost anywhere they live in numbers they tend to form groups and hang out on the surface when conditions are calm...like early in the morning, or even during the night. You see that a lot at Deer Creek.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have seen that a lot at Willard too. A couple of times when I have been tubing after dark, I have quietly kicked my way up next to a huge school of carp on a quiet night. I tell ya, if you have been kinda dozing, the explosion of spooked carp on the surface right next to you (or behind you) will wake you up...or worse.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sometimes the carp all seem to have their mouths out of the water, gulping. I don't know whether they are skimming food items off the still water or if they are gulping air. They do both. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I gotta admit that on some slow days I have taken advantage of visible carp to bend my stick and stretch my string. I deliberately target them sometimes, either for fun or to stock up on catfish bait. They are easily spooked when they are rafting, but you can sometimes cast beyond them, with a small jig, and bring it by the edge of them. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]On some occasions, they will move a very short distance to slurp in a small light jig, in chartreuse or olive color. At other times, if they are not in a feeding mood, you have to "force feed" a "dorsal diner" (snagging).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have taken a few surface feeding carp on dry flies. Small dark-toned floaters will work, but I have also hung a few in Deer Creek by presenting the "marshmallow emerger" I kept handy for rainbows surfacing for the marshmallows chummed by bankers or boaters. Seems the carp have a sweet tooth too. The half inch ball of clipped white deer hair on my ME fly has gotten me attached to some huge "buglemouth browns" in Deer Creek. That is usually good for a half hour of strain on your fairy wand. Not recommended if the smallies or wallies are active, but it can be entertaining.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
So whats up with the gate at the state park boat ramp anyway? We wanted to launch there Sat morning (1/15), but we couldn't, why gate it of if the ramps are dry those dorks. So we launched around 11:00 am at the island marina and finally got into the fish around 2:30. Fishing was really hot until dusk. My freind hooked a big one but it broke his line at the boat. Caught 15 12"-18" rainbows in about 2 1/2 hrs on tube jigs and meal worms. I would like to go back tomorrow afternoon (1/20) dose anyone know it it has frozen any more since Saturday? FISH ON![Smile]
[signature]