Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hunting and PTSD
I'd like to have your thoughts on this, hunters with Post Tramatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Of course you can't tell anyone has it unless you ask, they tell you or they are wearing a big sign. It is a common disorder among combat Vets, especially those during the Vietnam War. Most have handled it through therapy and are doing quite well, while others are still having flashbacks and have difficulty controlling it, except through drugs.
This question was brought up recently at a VFW (Veteran of Foreign Wars) discussion meeting (imprompto over a cold beer) and the popular consensus was split 50-50 between allowing Vets with PTSD to own fire arms and not. Would anyone here feel uncomfortable hunting with a VET with PTSD, knowing that he could hit the ground at the sound of gunfire?
Those voting in the no column, for the most part, didn't exibit signs of PTSD but was sympathic to those of us who do. I haven't reverted back to ground combat survival techniques while in the field (hitting the ground, finding a defensible spot, searching for the enemy, cold sweats and shaking hands) but have hunted with a few who have. It usually only takes a few minutes to convince him that the flashback isn't real and everything is fine.
I ask you, would you hunt with someone under these conditions?
[signature]