Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Depth Chargers
[cool][#0000ff]I just finished painting and decorating my latest line of jigs. They are heavier, to get down fast in deep water. I call them Depth Chargers or Perch Plungers. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I did a more complete writeup on them in the Jig and Lure Making board. Here's a link:[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=180499;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]DEPTH CHARGERS[/url][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Looks pretty good Pat. Up size the hook and I think they'd tap the pups if loaded with M's.. How's bout putting the hammer to one or two in the other direaction towards the back to give it the gliding effect? just a thought..
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Don, turn me loose with a jig mold and a hammer and I can crank out just about anything your little heart desires.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have the spearhead jigs in up to 1 oz., and plan to get a mold for up to 2 oz. Been planning some "Mack Jiggers" along those same lines, for delivering plastic, feathers or synthetic hair...flavored with fish flesh, of course.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The ones in the pic were deliberately poured on smaller hooks, to keep the hook near the body, for "bait buggin'". However, by using a longer shank hook, I can pound the lead on the lower part to extend down a ways, without interfering with the hookin'. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I'll pour and pound a few. Of course, I will need somebody to officially test them. Know anyone who might volunteer. What colors would you be willing to try first?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I just happen to know a one or two peoples that might want to field test one or two of those fors ya[Wink] .
[signature]
I think the flattened ones look like money in the bank.
[signature]
I have a buddy I work with that just cut me a mold for my mac jig's thay are only 3/4and 1oz.but thay are allmost to heavy for me.I like a light jig .A 2oz jig would be pretty heavy and sink like a rock.way two fsat for the fish I catch go lighter you will have a better catch %.I only use 6/0&8/0 gamakatsu's.becouse thay are strong and razzor sharp.fish on
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I agree. I prefer to fish as light as I can, and still maintain "touch" with what is going on below. Some guys like the heavier stuff...especially for deep water. I am getting a heavier head mold not only for macks but for some salt water stuff too. Where there are currents you sometimes need extra weight just to get the jig down and keep it down.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I can use hooks up to 6/0 on my 1/4 oz. jig heads, just by drilling out the eye holes for the hooks. I have already done that kind of modifying on many of my jig molds. For example, for walleye fishing in the shallow waters of Utah Lake, I often use 3/0 to 5/0 hooks on 1/16 oz. heads. That is one of the benefits of pouring your own stuff. You can get exactly what you want, and not have to settle for what the manufacturers tell you you want.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey TL, I have been using "Hammerhead" jigs for several years. I like them because they not only give a plain old jig more flutter and action, but they also provide a bigger profile to the lure and more surface to paint. Extra flash, color and wiggle...for the same price. Works for me and the fish seem to like them too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Over the last couple of years I have collected several new paints and a lot of new glitters. I'm having a lot of fun coming up with new colors and combos. Sometimes I think the fish smack them out of plain curiousity...or maybe the glitter and glare makes them mad. I don't care.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]Those are cool lookin' jigheads, Pat! I don't think I've ever seen that shape of jig before. Looks pretty effective. Hopefully we can get some cold weather so you can try 'em out, eh? Or, have you already done that? I'm gonna go read the writeup now.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have used the spearpoint jig heads for years, both for making salt water feather jigs and for using inside big tube jigs for both salt water and freshwater deep jigging. However, this is the first time I have tried using a smaller hook than needed for a specific head, with the idea of making it into a "bait bug on steroids".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have no doubt it will work well. As I said in the writeup on the other board, I have been using larger and heavier jigs for deep jigging for a long time, and they seem to produce more and bigger perch. They also get some of the bigger trout. There have been a lot of browns, rainbows and cutts over 5 pounds taken on my old hammered sinker "perch urchins". Been more than a few macks smacked on 'em too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]With the warm temps again this week, I am not sure I want to chance taking a thin ice "thwim" again this week. Hopefully the weather will turn "normal" for this time of year again and let me drop some of them through iceholes. If not, they will work fine when vertically jigged from a tube. I am guessing they will excite some perchkind and smallies at Jordy. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of the ways I plan to fish them in soft water is by hooking a small plastic "wacky style" on one of those bad boys and just "wiggle-jigging" it. I have done some damage on other jig rigs like that, and I think with the horizontal presentation on that jighead, and the perchy colors, that the smallies will vote for it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]