Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morning boils an Willard
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]My son had so much fun last week out on Willard that he asked me to take him again for a couple hours this morning. Upon arriving at the south marina, the construction workers turned us away saying that they were laying the new asphalt today and wasn't letting anyone in. So we buzzed up the north marina. Launched at about 7:00. Seen bird activity over north of the feed lot so we headed that way. Sure enough, a nice boil was going on down wind so we cut the engine and drifted right into the middle of it. I must admit that this was the first true boil I have seen this year. It lasted a good 20 minutes. What a blast! We caught several a the same time and were fighting over who got to use the net! The boil was right up against the shore. My son Ben was using a Producer and I used a blue and silver meps-like spinner. Ben was using 6 lb line and when he left the drag super tight (he's new to this fishing thing) there was no slip and a wiper broke his line and took off with my Producer. So he put another on another of my producers and hucked it so hard that it snapped off and lost my second one. He remind me of Kramer of Seinfeild ... bird's nests and lost lures but boy did we have fun! We chased two other boils and then left to catch a car show in SLC. The water is LOW but seems to be holding.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]
Nothing better then boil fishing in my book. You should of broke out your top water gear. It doesn't get any better then that! I'm glad to hear the fish are hitting while all this unsettled weather is coming thru. I'm going to have to put down the nail gun and go fishin'![/size][/font]
[signature]
Man, sounds like a blast. I put my boat in storage. Been too busy to get out and enjoy. Has the recent rains brought the water levels up any Coot??
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]BLM, .... I forgot to mention that I did use some top water lures: a long spook (kept tangling line on it's hook so I quit), a short spook-like that took one wiper, and a popper that after three casts into the boil surprised me to not produce a hit so I retired it. Actually my little blue/silver meps-spinner thingey brought most in.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Teroy, ... As for the water levels, I am quite familiar with water levels when I launch from the south marina but being not too familiar with the levels this time of year at the north marina, I can't really say. 5 feet + was common around inside the north marina. If I were to make a stab at it, I would say levels might be up a tad.[/size][/font]
[signature]