Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
so. cal winter?
I have always fished the kelp for sandies or calicos in the summer, this winter I would like to go out, is the fishing alot different? any fish better to target? Tom
[signature]
Thats very cool to know. as you can tell I am still pretty new at fishing and thats the kind of info that is cool to know. Looks like the season just got a little longer ha ha thanks again, Tom
[signature]
California's nearshore bottom fishing regs are extraordinarily complex, requiring ability to positvely identify a variety of very similar species. If you can master that little difficulty (along with the open/closed dates etc.) there are a variety of tasty rockfish/lingcod species available.

You might consider Mexican boat/fishing permits and try the Coronados and rockpile areas. Far less complex regulations. In US waters, areas where the lobster pots are numerous may prove productive.

Good Luck

Jerry
[signature]
[size 2]Mexican licenses are available at most of the local tackle shops that cater to SW fishermen. (fisherman's landing, anglers choice, turners,etc.) You could also call the Mexican authorities and avoid tackle shop surcharges at 619 233-4324. If you buy direct, they won't accept anything except money orders for the precise amount.[/size]

[size 2]You will need licenses for everyone, even the youngest, whether or not they are fishing. You will also have to show the boat registration when you purchase the boat permit.[/size]

[size 2]I believe that bottom fishing is completely closed in waters deeper than 120 feet. There are plenty of fish shallower however. You might give halibut a try off the Hotel Del Coronado or near the IB fishing pier. (or north of the mission bay entrance or up off Torrey Pines)[/size]

[size 2]Jerry[/size]
[signature]
Thanks for the information. I may stick to the U.S. waters for now, and try and get the Mexican license a little later, although the information you provided sounds as if it's not too difficult to get the licenses needed.

I wasn't able to get out this past weekend, but plan on going this coming Saturday. I plan on checking out the spots you've mentioned.

Thanks again,

Steve
[signature]
if your throwing plastics, you should try dragging it along the bottom for about 5 or so feet and then jerking it, but make sure you present the bait slowly, and repeat this process over and over.
this has caught me alot of halibut and big sandies and calicos. perfect technique for winter bass fishing!!!

Joe
[signature]

Hey there guest,

The bait barges have their regular sportboat clientle and then others. I fish the Long Beach area and there is a certain way you need to approach the bait barges during their busy hours. All these bait barges have guys running them who have strong personalities. I suggest:

1) Get bait during their non-peak times (peak times: when the local sportboats (cattleboats) are wanting to bait up and get out) go early (our area 5:30 is good depending on season) or after the sportboat rush if you can.

2) If you have a radio, call them up for instructions and info.

3) Some barges have a special place on their barge where smaller, private boaters can tie up.

4) Be patient, if you see guys from the boats helping out the barge guy, you should guess he might be short handed and you'll have to wait till HE'S GOT TIME FOR YOU.

5) Follow instructions and check out how things are done. If he he feels you know what you're doing he'll be a lot happier camper. ha ha

Hope this helps, as you can guess I've worked the boats.

JapanRon
[signature]