Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which auger
I am new to ice fishing and i am on a students budget so i was wondering what brands are good and what size to go with. It would almost have to be a hand auger, cuz i couldnt afford a gaser.
[signature]
fish4fish:
Wow there are lots of choices out there, but you obviously get what you pay for. Hand augers can run from $19-75. On a student budget look for any ice fishing gear in your local paper in the eant ads. If there are any garage sales you can get to in the winter drop by, you will be amazed at the amount of gear aperson can pick up at these sales. When I attended CMU (go Chips) I too lacked the resources to get out and do what I loved, but I put a wanted items list on the boards and within days I had a complete outfit at a very cheap price.
[signature]
I've heard nothing but really good things about the Nils Master augers (pictured below). They are available through Cabela's under the name High Velocity Hand Auger. Be sure to click on the banner in the upper right corner of the screen to help support BigFishTackle.com (this helps keep BigFishTackle open).

[Image: i115630vr01.jpg]
[signature]
Well i know the feeling of being on a student budget i have been there its horrible.But i can tell you one thing once you get the icefishing bug your hooked for life.So if i was you i would be searchin garage sales and keeping a eye out on ebay for a used Auger better yet a new one,heres another idea[cool] find a friend with a Jiffy gas powered auger and become his bestest friend,.I Trust JIFFY!!So this is all i can say about the auger thing.You can spend 70 - 100 bucks on a hand held auger but you will be buying blades and more blades if you know how to sharpen them i guess you will do well but thats another art form. So all the time your spent drilling holes by hand ect your could be fishing and not just that you can move around and drill all over to find the schools of fish.
[signature]