Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
20g v 12g
What are the pros and cons of each bore, i Have a .20g NEF plinker and a .410g plinker, i bought those 2 just cuz they were cheap, if i were to get into doves of phesants, which would be better, which would be better for a big game shotgun hunt. thanks
[signature]
[crazy] I'm no expert , but what I think about them is >>>>>

The 20 gauge would have a bigger pattern than the 4.10, but
both cals are good for what you want you want to use while bird hunting , I prefer a 12 gauge . Theres a bigger difference in them while big game hunting thou !! A 20 would have more shock power than a 4.10 , and also it won't deflect as much in heavy cover !! But the 4.10 would shoot flatter !! The difference in distance is something I don't know , but would think the 4.10 would be better for long distance !! Me ? well I would use a 12 gauge with a slug barrel for big game !! I own all three , but the 4.10 and the 20 , are still in the box ( always grab the Bennelli ) LOL !!!

[signature]
I've used the 20 gage for bird hunting and found it worked fine, but for bigger game a 12 is the way to go. My 2cts
[signature]
I for one shoot and have only shot a 12 g shotgun. The bigger the gauge on the shotgun the more shot you throw at your target (example a 20g with 3/4oz 6 shot and a 12g with 1 1/8oz 6 shot will throw many more pelets at your target) You do not have more knock down power comparing those two loads, they will both reach your target at the same time with the same velocity side by side but the 12 g will have more pellets for its pattern. This argument happens alot in 10g vs 12g and 3 1/2" vs 3" vs 2 3/4" shells. Knockdown power is not gained, more pellets and a bigger pattern and shot string are gained. Now come into play on how much pain are you willing to dish out to your shoulder to accomplish and how much do you really want to pay for ammo?

In my opinion the 12g is a very versitile gun and you will be able to hunt many types of game with it.
[signature]
Ok as far as pain goes, how would a 12g compare to a 20g. My 20g had no factory recoyle and it had a wooded stock and a hard plastic plate on the butt, it kicked like the dickens, i finally bought a rubber kick pad and it is alot better. How would a 12g feel, i have kinda looked at a mossberg 500 model (i think) 12g pump. any ideas
[signature]
There is more of a kick, I would say around 25% more thump in the 12g 2 3/4 shell a hell of a whump with a 3 1/5 shell. If you are interested in comparison and giving a 12g mossy a try, let me know. I would be more than willing to let you shoot mine. If you are in the SLC area or Ogden or Provo we could meet up on a weekend or sometime you have free.
[signature]
Well i am down in Richfield but if i ever make it up that a way, and i have the free time i will take you up on trying the mossy 12g, thanks
[signature]
Lets get in touch next time I am down there or you wander up here. Maybe at the Pike party?
[signature]
The pike party would be great, i will be there, sence it is the closest get together to my house. Thnaks
[signature]
I have a lot of respect for .410s they are exiclent little bunny guns, light waight, easy to cary through the brush, and they are pretty good close range deer rifles, equivelent to the ruger .44 carbein.

they arent to bad on skeet eather,

to use for phesant and ducks on the fly, well that is a bit of a joke.... you will want at least a 20 gage

and for geese I like 12 gage single 0 buck. but a slug on a standing goose from a .410 is awsome. (illegle in michigan)

for deer .410 - 20 - 12 are good, for wild boar, 20 -12 and for elk you will want the 12. In michigan 12 gage is the only shot gun allowed to hunt elk with.
[signature]
I use a .410 for small game hunting (Remington 870). It's great for squirels, and does not overpulvarize them. The first shotgun I used for hunting was an H&R single shot breakbarrel .410. For deer, it's a 20 with a slug in either H&R Slug Gun format (rifled bbl.) and is very accurate! The 870 20 guage with slug bbl. is a great deer gun too. The 870 20 guage with a shot bbl. is also a great plate shooting gun becuase of the reduced recoil. The one down side to the .410 is expensive shells. 12 guage is economical, and shells are available anywhere. For some uses, such as trap, or other hunting activities and deer hunting a 12 can be great. It does pack more oomph. There is no substitute for a well made shot though.
[signature]