Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tampa Bay Area Fishing Report

Tampa Bay Area

Fishing Report Captain Charles Walker

10/6/02

Two hurricanes through the middle of the Gulf in three weeks will tend to change the fishing around. There’s really no telling what the changes will be, but I hope it will be for the better for us. I heard that lots of big kings are being caught in the Bayport area north of us and I heard that schoolies as well as a big king were caught in the ship’s channel between the Whistler and 9 & 10. I haven’t been able to verify these stories, but the timing is about right for the small fish to start showing up sometime this month. Maybe the hurricanes pushed them our direction a little sooner than usual. Keep your fingers crossed.

On to the bait house reports:
Ruskin Bait and Tackle - 813-641-2325 – Lots of mangrove snapper have been caught off the artificial reefs in the Bay this week. Black drum are starting to show up in the river. Reds are also biting in the river, mostly in the smaller sizes though. Lots of snook and reds are biting in the vicinity of Cockroach Bay this weekend.
Buddy’s Bait and Tackle on the Courteney Campbell Causeway in Tampa - 813-287-1026 – Reds, mangrove snapper, and snook are biting well this week around the big bridge. Snook are being caught around the flood gates and plenty of reds are being found around both Double Branch and Rocky Creek. The trout seem to have moved along but there are some nice sheepshead showing up around the rocks and pilings on the causeway and the bridges.
Trappman’s Bait and Tackle on Gandy Blvd in St. Petersburg - 727-579-1414- There have been some reds tailing around Weedon Island and on the flats between here and the Fourth St. Bridges. Some really nice cobia have been caught this week and lots of small tarpon are in the big bayou near the Fourth Street Bridge.
Don’s Dock on Madeira Beach - 727-391-3223- Now that the winds are dying down, some anglers have been finding grouper in the 40 to 60 foot depths. We saw some kings that were caught in the Bayport area so they are on the way. Some tarpon have been picked up along the beach and lots of big Spanish mackerel are everywhere along the beaches. Lots of nice snook are being caught on the jetties and the bridge. If you can find them, pigfish are the best bait, but shad will work if you can’t get the pigfish.
Pass-a-Grille Bait and Tackle on St. Pete Beach - 727-360-6606- Our offshore boats brought in lots of grouper this weekend and some really nice mangrove snapper. Off our gas dock we’ve seen some mangrove snapper, lots of keeper grouper, and some really nice snook.
The Skyway Fishing Pier - 727-865-0668 and the south Skyway - 941-729-0117- Spanish mackerel, grouper, tarpon, pompano, jack crevalle, and some bluefish have been caught this week off the piers. The water is still a little dirty but as it cleans up the fishing will definitely get better.

Folks, feel free to call any of the places in my report for more information, and be sure to tell them that you read about the fishing in their area in Capt. Charlie’s fishing report on the Internet.

If you want more information about fishing in the Tampa Bay area or wish to book a charter, simply e-mail me at captchas@flfish.com or if you wish to arrange a charter faster, call me at 727-546-7257. Be sure and visit my web site for lots more Tampa Bay Area fishing info at: [url "http://www.floridasaltwater.com/"][#0000ff]http://www.floridasaltwater.com[/#0000ff][/url] .

Good fishing and tight lines,

Capt. Charlie

http://www.flfish.com/fl
[signature]