Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How does one keep from getting ticketed?
No, when you take the fish to the taxidermist he will have you fill out a short form that surrenders the fish from you. Same with swans, big game animals and the like. SO the quicker you get it out of the freezer and to the taxidermist the sooner you can go back to fishing. If you really going to have the mount done natural insted of reproductive than you should stop fishing, ice the fish whole and take it to the Taxidermist.
[signature]
[reply]"possession means even in your freezer at home"

Following this line of reasoning, it would be unlawful to fish ANYWHERE until you ate the 50 perch. I agree that by the strictest interpretation of the law, you are correct, but I think that the spirit of the law would dictate that a CO would not take such a hard line. While I do not agree that CO's would give you a pass on overlimits while on the water, the DWR made the limit at Jordanelle 50 so more perch will be harvested and they don't want to enforce the rules in such a way to discourage us from doing so..........However, if your youngster just beat up the CO's child at school and he lives nearby and you are on his bad side.............better eat those perch. Good fishing this week to all.[/reply]

Ask the couple who had 174 trout in their freezer. When you have a limit at home in the freezer, you already have a limit. PERIOD. If you caught 50 perch, and ate 29 of them, you couldn't fish at a body of water that had a 20 perch limit. They did not make it like white bass at Utah Lake, with no limit. You can have 50 yellow perch from Jordanelle.

Fishrmn
No argument there OEJ. I just stated what they told me, nothing more or less. As often as the COs change during the summer months its always best to be safe rather than sorry.

However I can say that there has not been 1 instance of any angler receiving a citation in Wasatch county for bag limits on perch. These guy and gals up here really try and stay within the spirit of the law. I guess at some point we will get the new one who is all gung-ho.
[signature]
Here's one for ya.

(5) "Bag limit" means the maximum limit, in number or amount, of protected wildlife that one person may legally take during one day.

(30) "Take" means to:
(a) hunt, pursue, harass, catch, capture, possess, angle, seine, trap or kill any protected wildlife; or
(b) attempt any action referred to in Subsection (a).

(15) "Immediately released" means that the fish should be quickly unhooked and released back into the water where caught. Fish that must be immediately released cannot be held on a stringer, or in a live well or any other container or restraining device.

(21) "Possession" means actual or constructive possession.

With the strictest interpretation, by these definitions you can't even release more then your limit because each catch is a take. Now I've never heard anybody else interpret it that way, but can you see what I mean?

On the other hand, if it's not interpreted that strictly, a person should be able to keep fishing even after they've reached their possession limit as long as they release everything else they catch. And I mean straight from the hook to the water without ever touching a live well, stringer, net, or any other restraining device. If done so it's not part of your "bag limit" and it's never been "possessed". I stop when I reach my possession limit (which rarely happens because I release almost everything) because I don't relish the thought of releasing a fish I think or know will die. However, it appears that a person can continue to fish even after they've reached their possession limit.

Don't you just love interpreting the proc'?
[signature]