Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Force Fins & Tubes
Hi all. This is a question for all the float tube enthusiasts out there. I just purchases my first tube this morning, and I obviously needs some fins. Was looking at the Force Fins, but am a bit surprised by the cost. Are they really worth paying 3 times what you would pay for a "normal" fin?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome to BFT. I am guessing you haven't had a chance yet to cruise the boards and find out all of the different places to look for info. We actually have a float tubing board at [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=81;"]FLOAT TUBING[/url] . There are quite a few past threads addressing different kinds of fins, and apecifically the Force Fins.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are several different models of the Force Fins. The ones with the heel straps, like divers use, are not bad. Forget the ones with the adjustable straps, that fit over wading shoes. They are difficult to adjust and they do not provide much propulsion. They are definitely not worth the money.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You can buy adequate fins for under $50. I have been spending a little more and buying the Mares Plana Avanti fins for my last two sets...the first lasting almost twenty years of hard use. I bought my second set online last year, from a discount dive shop for about $69. There are plenty of good fins at a reasonable price.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you are going to use them in cold water, be sure to get some that are large enough to hold your fins, boots and extra socks without constricting your feet. Otherwise, it doesn't matter how many pair of wool socks you have on, you will have constriction and cold feet.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am attaching a pic of the Force Fin alongside one of my older model Plana fins. You will notice there is a lot more blade surface on the Plana too. This translates into more propulsion on each kick, but does not really require any more energy. You get more effective movement with the larger fins in most cases, and you can handle currents and breezes better.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Come on over to the float tube board, wander back through the past threads and feel free to ask any questions you still have remaining.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
welcome to the board. catafish7
i have a pair of browning fins that i don't use anymore.
they are the big ones.
give me a pm if interested
[signature]
Ah man! I used to think TD knew it all![Tongue] Now I gotta disagree with him. I would have to say yes the Force Fins are well worth the extra money. I love my pair. I've tried more fins than most will in a lifetime. This is due to all the scuba I do. But just because I say so, it doesn't mean that they are the best. For me however they are. You gotta remember that everything is a matter of preference and comfort. If they aren't comfy, don't get them.

I don't like the large surface area on most fins, because there is a lot of "spillage" over the sides of the fin. This is wasted energy in that it doesn't add to propulsion. Besides they feel bulky as well. Other things that I like about FF are the fact that they are small (think about getting into a weedbed). If you need to walk its easier. Also they are virtually indestructable.

One more thing to remeber, cost. There are different modles of FF and cost varies. As far as the tubing fins go, FF offers 5 kinds. I've not tried Float Tube FF or the Fab Force. However I've tried the other 3. The difference that you will find in them (other than cost) is the stiffness. The Original FF is the least stiff and the Delta Force is the stiffest with the Pro in the middle. I have the Pro, however I still dive occationally with the other two (a buddy owns them). I'd like to get the Delta but $ is a hinderance. You determine which one you want pending on your leg/ankle strength. For most people the Original or Pro is fine.

Look at me am I running on or what. I think your best decision is one that you make on your own. If you got a chance to use some try before you buy. That goes for anything. DON'T get them only based on price. It will bite you in the long run.
[signature]
I had been using caddis fins which sucked plenty! It's a good thing I lost it at Lincoln beach about six years ago... and that was a good thing!

I looked around hard for swim fin comparision in quality, not at prices, mind you. I found that Navy SEAL's force fins were the best. Price was steep at 100+ dollars, but well worth every dime of it. I have not been disappointed in them. I love those adjustable straps which conforms to my feet/boots.

I have noticed a jump in propulsion speed... you can almost practically troll abit faster than paint-drying speed. LOL. I've caught more walleyes this way.
[signature]
Hey...I'd like to say thank you to all who replied. I appreciate the information and the thought and time that went into your replies.
I ended up going with the Force Fin "Fish" model. I guess I got a deal at $84 bucks. Now I'm dying to try the whole setup out. The tube is sitting here in the living room taunting me, and I'm starting to wonder why I bought one in the middle of winter.

Anybody have any ideas of the best place for a novice float tuber to try it out this time of year without freezing to death?

Thanks again for the replies.

Paul
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]No matter where you go, you will be faced with water temps not much above freezing. That means neoprenes and a couple of layers of wool underneath. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Utah Lake is probably the best possibility early. If you can stand it for a couple of weeks, you are welcome to show up with a few of us down at Lincoln Beach. We can help make sure you are properly rigged and get you launched without becoming a statistic. Of course, we reserve the rights to videotape you and sell the film to the funny video shows.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Where do you live? There might be a small pond somewhere near by that you can do a couple of shakedown cruises before you get serious.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey TubeDude. Thanks...
I live in Holladay. Video tape? LOL. I'm damn sure going to make sure I know how to use the thing before showing up for that. Don't wanna end up on "America's funniest home videos" or something like that. LOL
What about Blue Lake? Temps shouldn't be too bad. Is it worth the drive in the winter though? I've done really well out there in the spring and summer, but I've never tried Bass & Blue Gill this time of year.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I hadn't even thought of Blue Lake. If you know it already, you are set. It is a great place for this time of year. The water stays warm and the gills and largies are still active. Even better, the mud is usually frozen around the edges, although as warm as it has been, that may not be true.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]At least the skeeters are still asleep.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Yep. Blue Lake would be a good place to practice with your new water toy. Be sure to let us know how you do.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Excellent, Tube Dude. I think I'm just going to have to do that. The urge to fish is strong...very strong. Now if I can just get away from work for a bit, I'll be set. I'll definately post once I make it out there and let you all know how it went.

Thanks...

Paul
[signature]