Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
spinner bait
[Tongue]I tried to use spinner bait this weekend,but maybe I was doin it wrong.

do you hook the spinner rig to your leader so that you can change to different type lures ,or do you tie the spinner straight to your line? iIf you hook it to the leader snap, it tends to slide up to the spinners and you don't get much action.Please tell me how to rig up a spinner bait.
[signature]
I have always tied straight to my main line this is the best way for me to get the most action out of the lure, when I change lures it does not seem to take to long and its worth it. Tight Lines
[signature]
I use a barrol swivel

then i tie on a 3 foot leader line then tie on my my lure to the line this will give you full controll of your lure (use a barrol swivel to match your line nothing bigger)

if you use one to big it will act as a sinker in fron of your lure reducing the action of your lure.
[signature]
[size 1] A swivel is good to use when your catfishing,but when useing lures most would tie without a swivel.Buy some fingernail clippers,they come in handy for changeing your lures.[/size]
the reason I sugested using a barrol swival and not a swivel snap is because the snap is hever and the barrol swivel will allow you the freedom of line twist that is common with tieing lures streaght to the line.
[signature]
the swivel i was talking about was a barrel one,i should have said barrel,most fisherman know that a swivel by its self isn't any good.The only lure i ever seen twist up was messed up are it was a live bait.And beside evreybody does it diffrent,i would say try it both ways and figure it out which is better.[Wink]
[signature]
I agree fully earl not all lures will twist your line.

the lures that I use that dose twist my line are spoons and my favorite the Jun Bug (jitter bug) I don't realy know if they are spinning on the cast or in the water, my eyes are not that sharp any more.

my repallas dont seem to twist my lines and I have used both swivel snap, barrol swivel and no swivel at all. In all cases my repallas seems to want to hook them selves in side of a fishes mouth.
[signature]
Hey Sampy,

I'm going to assume you're talking about using a spinnerbait for Bass and not some other toothy [size 1]species[/size]. (In which case you may need a leader). I personally never use a leader or swivel of any type. Just as Bassturd states the action of the lure can be impaired. A spinnerbait is typically snag-free and allows you to fish it really tight on the cover if you have a swivel tied on it can cause hang-ups in the cover. If you are having trouble with line twist as DavetClown mentions, then you need to tune your spinnerbait so that it runs true and doesn't cause the line to twist. Do like earl2359 says and keep clippers close at hand and learn to tie a Palomar knot (if you don't already know how) They're quick and easy to tie and won't foul the lure. Never use a "snap" swivel on a spinnerbait, it'll do nothing but aggravate you.

Good luck and tight lines,

John
[signature]
I normally tie my line directly to the lure -- for two main reasons. First, as mentioned several times, adding a swivel can interfere with the intended action of the lure.
Some lures like the SuperDuper even depend on line twist to produce their action. Second, I find it good insurance to retie the knot often to avoid the line snapping at the knot when you have a nice fish on. Tying directly to the lure makes you tie a new knot everytime you change lures. I also retie after landing a good sized fish.

In the event I have a lure whose attachment hole might have edges which could cut line or be difficult to tie a good knot to,like on a spoon or SuperDuper, I put a small snap (no swivel) on the lure. I leave the snap on those type lures and retie to the snap each time I use the lure. I seem to recall SuperDupers even used to be sold with a small snap attached.
[signature]
Here's some terrific tips on using spinnerbaits. They really set me straight and helped out!

[url "http://www.bassresource.com/html/spinnerbaits.html"]http://www.bassresource.com/html/spinnerbaits.html[/url]

Hope that helps!
[signature]