Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Filleting Perch - Pics
[cool][#0000ff]I filleted a lot of fish today, even if I didn't get to go fishing myself. Guess that's what I get for opening my yap and volunteering. First it was FlyFishingMoose and Uncle Ray. Then it was Mikecromaine. He even threw me a curve by bringing frozen perch to fillet. First time I ever tried filleting fish sticks.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My camera is still in the shop (after getting dunked at Pelican) but TubeBabe let me use hers. So, I shot some pics while FFM did the posing. He sure has pretty hands, doesn't he?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The first pic shows the electric knife I use...made by American Angler. I have lost count of how many fish I have filleted with it in the 6 years I have owned it. I bought a replacement a couple of years ago, when I thought it might be going out, but it has lasted a few thousand more fish since. It came with 2 sets of blades. I use the long ones for bigger fish, and the shorter ones for smaller fish. Duh.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The second pic shows the first cut. Start right behind the head and cut down until you reach the spine. Then, make a hard right turn and start down the spine toward the tail.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The third pic shows the "slabbing" process. Keep the blade parallel to the surface of the board and continue to the tail. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The fourth pic shows flipping the fillet over onto the skin side, with the skin still attached at the tail. This provides a "handle" to hold onto while running the knife to skin the fillet.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The fifth picture shows running the knife blade between the skin and the flesh, to finish skinning the fillet. Be sure to keep the blade flat to get the most efficient skinned fillets.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The sixth picture shows cutting the rib cages away from the skinned fillet. Using a short, sharp blade makes this job easy and leaves a nice clean boneless piece of fish flesh.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The last pic shows how I normally do a large bunch of small fish. I batch them. I fillet and skin the fillets and stack them up on one end of the board. Then, I spread them all out on the board and go from fillet to fillet, cutting out the ribs. Faster and easier than stopping to debone each fillet as you cut it off the carcass.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hope this helps. (By the way guys, I just moved and left no forwarding address)[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Been drinkin' too many cervazaritas? Filleting fish that were "fresh frozen"? You're killin' me 'Dude! I hope Mikecromaine was paying particularly close attention. LOL![/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Pat,

This is exactly the process that I go through when it comes to filleting fish, with pretty much the same equipment as you. Thanks for sharing these steps. I was able to snag my electric knives (120v and 12v) at K-mart at a clearance price ($10/ea), I just need to buy some replacement knives when my current set gets dull. Since I've been banned from filleting fish in the kitchen sink, I fashioned a filleting board made of polycarbonate (easier to wash), about 30" long and 12" wide, with an oval hole at one end to drop the carcass through. This board sits on two buckets, with one bucket lined with a garbage bag to catch the carcass. I've been doing my filleting sessions in the garage lately since my outside water has been turned off. I usually fillet my catch in the backyard since I have access to water, and one of my dogs likes sushi once in a while. I don't think I need to move to a different zipcode since I haven't had any BFT'ers drop their catch off for a filleting favor.

Thanks again for sharing this info.
[signature]
[cool]You 'da man, Pat! I was going to save this tutorial, but I think I've got it down "pat"-pun intended. I need to get an electric knife. Where can you get that American ANGLER knife? I saw some electric knives at Sportsmans once but I don't remember what brand they were, and I think they ran for like $30? Is there a cheaper place to get that knife that you have? Also, I realized another thing that takes me longer, and that is not doing the batching of a bunch of 'em. I cut out the ribcage right away, and I can now see how that slows things down. I also like the board idea and putting a liner in the sink. Very efficient, this way is!

Thanks for the awesome tips, TubeDude!(we don't call him the infamous one for nothing).
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey, O4T, I'm glad you approve of the pics. That knife is an AMERICAN ANGLER...not American Eagle. I got both my first one (in the pics) and the yet unopened second one at WallyWorld, but down in Arizona. Not sure if they carry them in Utah.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]They also have them listed both in Cabelas and BassProShops. Cabelas is currently showing them as sold out. Here is the info from BPS.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff] [#0000ff]
[Image: 64474.jpg]
This is the perfect knife for both fresh- and saltwater anglers. It's the first electric knife series ever to fill all the needs for filleting fish. With a cooler operating, faster cutting blade, and less fatiguing comfort grip-filleting has never been easier. 8" blade reduces friction for better control and precision. $29.99 110 volt. $39.99 cordless.
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Not sure if they have them at Sportsmans. If they don't, I am sure that whatever they carry will work better than a dull "whatever-you're-using-now" knife.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]over the years I have used several different types of electric knives. I went through several of the "Mister Twister" electrics. They also cost about $25 (even in the olden days) but they did not last more than about a year. Of course, I used them on some pretty big fish, but I have also worked over some biggies with the American Angler...including catfish up to 30 pounds.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You can also borrow the household electric knife, that you got for a wedding present but have never used except to mangle a turkey once. Most of them will work.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have also tried the 12 volt models, that you hook to your car with a lighter plug in. The ones I have used just did not seem to have the power.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Some of the newer cordless rechargeable models are great for quick jobs in the field. Modern batteries and technology combine to provide knives that have plenty of power and hold a charge for about 30 minutes worth of steady slicing. If you can't finish a batch of fish in that time, you either kept too many or you need to work on your filleting skills.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have attached a pic of the fillet board I made from heavy particle board. I finished it with several coats of clear urethane and it has really held up well. It is too large for the sinks in the place we are living right now. I made it originally for handling big catfish, like the ones in the pic attached.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have since used it outside, like you do with yours. It is large enough to fit over one or two garbage cans, so you can dump the "remnants" down the hole into a plastic bag liner.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That's a bummer about being evicted from the kitchen. You must have really left a mess a couple of times. Some ladyfolks are just a tad bit sensitive about scales and blood all over everything. They also don't seem to be too wild about leaving fish guts in the garbage disposal for a couple of days, without running it. (been there, done that, but still avoided divorce) [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Filleting fish outside is not too bad in the summer, but this time of year you have to work fast to keep from having frozen fish to fillet. Of course, if you are filleting for Mikecromaine, he will freeze them for you before bringing them over.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]What do you do with them fillets once they're off the cutting board and in the kitchen? Here's what we do:[/size][/black][/font]
[center][inline perch_1.JPG][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Set up the assembly line breading operation. Grandmas and grand kids gettin' it done![/size][/black][/font][/center] [center] [/center] [center][inline perch_2.JPG][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We coat the fillets with flour, dip in an eggwash, then coat with Panko Japanese breading. Panko is lighter and browns up quicker so your fish stay juicy![/size][/black][/font][/center] [center] [/center] [center][inline perch_3.JPG][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]YUM, YUM! Don't those fillets look good? The granddaughter does a fine job of coating the fillets with the panko.[/size][/black][/font][/center] [center] [/center] [center][inline perch_4.JPG][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Fryin' up a mess of perch. My wife uses a cookie cooler to let any excess oil drip off keeping the fillets crispy. Once the fillets are on the cookie sheet, into a warming oven til the batch is finished cooking.[/size][/black][/font][/center] [center] [/center] [center][inline perch_5.JPG][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]You can tell what this kid has in mind! She loves her perch fillets dipped in ranch. Grandma like a citrus blend dip and I like it smokin' with a habenero hot sauce dipping sauce. Good Eats![/size][/black][/font] [/center]
[signature]
Man does that look good! I'm with the grand-daughter, you can keep the Habs, they're way too hot for me. Next you need to add Hushpuppies and corn bread, I'll make a southerner out of you yet. I do my fillets a little differently. I use a mixture of Tempura and Korean rice flour, add water and spices, dip the fillets in the wet mixture then right into the hot oil. It's a lot messier than doing them dredge style but I like it that way. Of course, Perch is really hard to screw up no matter how you cook it.
Thanks for the pics. I'm planning on making a bigger filleting board just like yours for the bigger fish. I've had my share of frozen and numb extremities from filleting fish outside in the colder months. The garage isn't bad at all, I just keep a bucket of hot water to warm up my hands once in a while and wash off some of the blood.

I missed a piece of skin in one of my filleting sessions and it backed up our sewer lines. Had to call in a plumber to fix the mess, had to use 60' of his snake to clear it. My wife showed me a remnant of the fish when I got home, so that's when I got the eviction notice from the kitchen. I still clean the board at the kitchen sink to clean off the blood stains, but I make sure that I don't have any good-sized gut part when I do it.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There ain't no wrong way to fix perchies. Their firm white flesh is good almost any way you fix it. Pan fried, with your choice of coatings, is probably how it is served most often. The attached Word doc has some of my other favorite recipes for "processing" perch fillets.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I tend to keep a bunch of smaller perch and bluegills at times, just to make a batch of "Po man's shrimp". I go through all the hassle of filleting, skinning and deboning small panfish, just to end up with a pound or so of mini-fillets.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I start with about a quart of water, in a wide cooking pan. I add a cube of shrimp flavored bouillon (available in some stores in Salt Lake, along with the chicken and beef cubes). I add a bit of dried onion flakes, some garlic powder, black pepper and cayenne pepper (to taste). If you wanna get "foo foo" you can also drop in some bay leaves or other fancy flavorings. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Bring the water to a slow boil. Make sure the shrimp cube is dissolved and that all the flavor ingredients are well mixed. Crank the heat up to high and dump in the fish. Make sure it is covered by the spiced water and let er rip for about 2 to 3 minutes...no more. The fish will turn white fast. Do not overcook. Remove the pan from the heat and scoop out the fish pieces with a slotted spoon as soon as they are cooked enough to break apart...or sooner.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Put the cooked fish in a bowl and either dip them in melted butter with garlic, or pour the garlic-butter over them and pig out. No matter how much you make, it will not be enough.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A variation is "Beer Steamed" fillets. You pour a can of freshly opened (not flat) beer in the same wide soup pan and turn the heat up high. As soon as the beer gets hot and starts to bubble, dump in the fillets and put the lid on the pan. Hold the lid down tight, to increase the pressure on the inside. The beer will froth up and want to boil out of the pan. That's good because it covers the fish and steams it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Just like "shrimp poaching", take the fish off the heat as soon as it is white (2-3 minutes at most). Scoop the fillets out or pour off the trashed beer. Might seem like a waste of good brew, but the taste of the fillets, in the garlic butter, is semi sorta fantastic.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]PS...tell the bishop that the alcohol cooks off and there is none left in the fish. If he catches you buying the beer, you are on your own. You don't know me.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]Those fillets look great, BLM. And, I like the ranch idea-my wife would probably love that. The Cookie stand thing is a great idea to drain them. My paper towel job didn't work the greatest today, but not bad.
[signature]
I didn't know I was the start of the caravan that led to Pat's place for a filleting expo! Although I wasn't too far off in my filleting techniques, Pat harvested much more meat than I did and much faster. Once shown the "proper" way to fillet perch, there will be no need to a follow-up class.

I cooked them up with your super spice, just about blew my mouth off but I toughed it out and enjoyed the whole batch. Wound up with only 1 bone in all the fish we filleted. Why don't you shoot me those ingredients for the supper spice.

Thanks for the demo, it was well worth it.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Dave, I know you are a big boy and you can handle some "heat", but you gotta be careful you don't hurt yourself when you play with FIRE. I call that stuff "Super Spice" for a good reason. A little bit is good. A lot can be dangermous.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are many different recipes for Cajun seasonings. Most of them include salt. I leave the salt out of me seasoning mix, so I can add it separately. Some recipes need more than others. I usually keep a large shaker of Lawry's Garlic Salt beside the shaker of super spice.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here's the recipe for the stuff, for anyone else that wants a bit more bite in their dinner:[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]First, I measure by eyeball, rather than by foo foo spoons or measuring cups. But, I try to keep the proportions about what I indicate here.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]3 measures of medium grind black pepper.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]1-2 measures of cayenne pepper (to taste)[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]1 measure each of: garlic powder, Mexican oregano and cumin powder.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I buy the large containers at Costco, or get the bags of several ounces in the Mexican food section of the markets. I make and use a lot, on everything from meats to eggs to soups to pizza.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It has a good flavor, if you use the right amount. Use too much and you can cauterize wounds with it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, it makes a killer "rub" on large chunks of roast or other meat, before you stick them in the oven.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Don't know how to take your comment "well worth it". You didn't pay anything. Are you saying my demo was worthless? (whimper whimper)[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Yeah I got a little carried away with the super spice, the slow burn stayed with me all night, but I disposed of it the next morning in a screaming pile. Sounded like lava hitting cold water.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]TMI (Too Much Information)[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A good argument for having ice cream for dessert.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I will have some at the jig party, for anyone who wants to kick the perch chowder up a notch.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]BAM![/#0000ff]
[signature]
I'm hungry. LOL
[signature]
YOU DONT PLAY FAIR just looking at the picture makes me ?????????????? I had to go eat some, thank now I have to go fishing tomarrol to replace the ones I ate thanks.
[signature]
[quote FlyFishingMoose]the slow burn stayed with me all night, but I disposed of it the next morning in a screaming pile. Sounded like lava hitting cold water.[/quote]

ROFL[laugh][laugh][laugh]

I can verify that the venerable TubeDude's stuff is very good![cool]

I did some experimenting with his fried fish recipe last fall and came up with something slightly different that I liked quite well too. I'd mix equal amounts of all purpose flour and use corn flour instead of corn meal. It tended to stay on the fish better than corn meal yet the coating would still stand up well to the hot oil. Mmmmmm!

Oh and BTW, how 'bout your recipe for the buffalo sauce Pat? That was really good, but if used in excess could produce the aforementioned flowing lava scenario. . . . May I have some more ice cream please? [Wink]
[signature]
TubeDude, this is a great topic! You fillet the same way that I do, but on the Idaho board I saw a reference to a different method that I hadn't seen before. I thought I would put a link here for others to see what they think too. I am curious to try this out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjTlFwQb7D0

The forum link is: http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ead#unread
[signature]
UTUBE has the best references for any typ of filleting or cutting certain meats... I learned to fillet catfish directly off of utube and it took me only 15 minutes to master the technique...
[signature]