Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soft Ice Alert (SE Mich )
soft ice alert for south east michigan

remember there is no such thing as safe ice, well now that it is soft and spungy, 6 inches of ice wont hold any thing.

here is a shot of a suzuki quad that went through night before last.
[center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=8265;]

It took 6 men, a few hundred feet of rope, a spud, three come-alongs and one articat with a one ton wench to pull it out.

there were two tricky parts, the obvious one was the ice kept breaking as we brought it up, the second is that it was floating upside down and you had to get it to role over on top the ice...
[/center]
[signature]
Wow. Glad we still have close to 2 feet of ice around here. But now the cracks are very noticeable. Kinda scary. Today at the ice fishing contest I heard that gunshot of a crack and the kid behind me jumped and started running. LOL. Didn't make it very far cuz the ice has no snow on it for traction now.

Great point though. It's always a good thing to check out the ice conditions ahead of time. If it's bubbly, watch out. I think much of this was covered last year when I started my ice fishing experience.
[signature]
ice safety is one topic that needs to be repeated year after year. repitition is the best way to learn it,, first hand experiance is the last way you want to learn about it...
[signature]
I had forgot to mention that we have a under ice floater in the detroit river today, divers searched for a man who went under today for the better part of the day with out retreaval, they will search again tomarow.
[signature]
That's not a fun time for anybody. Sorry to hear about the loss. I still can't figure out why anybody would want to chance being on the ice with the river flowing just inches underneath you, if that. To me it's just too unsafe of an environment to consider.
[signature]
here is a link to the post behind the atv,

it is a bit choppy cuz I am a typing zomby and need a nap, I will clean it up a little later when I can think a little more clearly, (tomarow)

I forgot to mention that the two people riding came out of the forty foot ice water a bit shaken wet and cold but for the most part ok...

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=184326;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;"][#333366][size 1]Ever go past the point of no return?[/size][/#333366][/url][size 1] [/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1][/size]
[signature]
[left]These are pics of Last year in Upper Red lake in MN. A full size road grader went in the ice, I think it took more than a 1 ton winch. The grader was plowing roads out of resorts to the fishing areas, you gotta realize we are talking 10 miles or better from shore. [/left] [center]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=8276;] [/center] [center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=8277;][/center] [center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=8278;][/center] [center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=8279;][/center] [center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=8280;]
[/center]
[signature]
the news said they did not know what he was doing on the ice, witnises said he had a case in his hand but no ice fishing equipment. there is some speculation to him ditching evidence of a crime or posibly even running drugs across the river in to or from canada.

I got the ATV post cleaned up, should read a little better now...
[signature]
That is sume under taking!!!
and ya know it had to be cold!!!

Some body had to go swimming to hook up!!!

Sure is a hellatious block and tackle too [shocked]

I bet that was a three day salvage job at least.

just from what I can see some one had to have a pretty good chain saw to cut all the way around the grader to get it up. looks like a day and a half to set up and a day and a half to take every thing back. (but judging from one of the pictures it looks like they waited at least a week in to colder weather before they attempted the salvage.

and might I add this looks like a professional salvage team or at vary least it looks like they have done this before.

good thing he didnt go down in deap water. Did the driver survive? and did he have to walk back home?

when my buddy went down both cell phones were rendered useless in the 40 foot deep bath...

Might I say my buddy gave me a good scare, I had to cross the same lake to get back home my self that night.
[signature]