Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pimp my Float (Pontoon & Float Tube)
Who would be interested in a get together where we all bring out the floats and get them tuned and customized for the 2005 floating season?

I know Mikecromaine just got his pontoon and needs some custom work on it, and I know I have some mods I need to make to mine.

Anyone else?
[signature]
Tweaks, jerry rigging Smile, additions, modifications galore.
[signature]
That sounds like a good idea! Almost as good as checking for leaks before you go out. Something I always do. NOT! Al
[signature]
I even have a place to set it up at if you need one.
[signature]
WE CAN HOST IT HERE WE JUST NEED TO NAIL DOWN A DATE. WE ALSO WILL NEED SOMEONE TO HELP WITH THIS. PAT AARE YOU WILLING TO TEACH THIS CLASS AND MAKE IT A WORK SHOP.
[signature]
I am sure we can talk T-I-O 'n tubin guru into it. I am booking some 1 on 1 time with him to get my new sonar setup done to mount on my toon next week.

How about right before the next Utah Lake Flotilla?
[signature]
id be intrested as long as you have it on a monday or wednesday.
[signature]
SIGN ME UP !!! LET ME KNOW WHEN AND WHERE ??
MY TOON IS 4 YEARS OLD THIS YEAR AND COULD USE A GOOD CHECKUP.................................
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Should I bring my lead melter, jig molds, paints and feathers too? How about fillet knives? No, things with sharp points are not good for inflatable devices.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sounds like fun. Prior to that, I will go back through some of the past threads in the Float Tubing forum and try to put together some links to different aspects of "tricking out tubes", etc.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]For any floatation newbies out there, I have sections of my (unpublished) book on float tubing that I can send by PM or email, on different aspects of tubing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Some of the subjects we can cover in the meeting are: [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]1. Tubes and 'Toons...when and where each is better.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]2. How to pick a craft...according to the waters you fish and the type of fishing you do.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]3. Waders and fins...choosing and using.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]4. Adding power to your inflatable...electric motors.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]5. Adding sonar...installation, batteries, etc.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]6. Rod holders[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]7. Launching and beaching[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]8. Transporting your craft...vehicle and backpacking.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]9. Handling problems and catastrophies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]10. Maintenance and Repairs[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have written over 400 pages on these and other tubing and tooning topics. Not likely to be able to cover everything in a single session. But, it would be a good kickoff for forming a "floatilla" group. Much of the fun, over time would be in on-the-water get togethers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are quite a few float tube fishing clubs around the country. Some of them are well organized, with their own websites and regular tournaments, etc. I don't see any need to over-organize things, and I propose keeping the gatherings open to any and all, regardless of their personal floatation religion. Heck, we might even let a few yakkers in the group (for the benefit of Kayote and Tincanfish).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Just for the record, I know there are more than a few other folks out there who are well experienced and who can contribute a lot to our "show and tell" sessions. Let's all participate where we can. I learn something new from others all the time. That's what BFT is all about. Caring and Sharing.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]This sounds great. I know I need to trick out my tube with a rod rack, fishfinder mounting, and mounting a fish basket on there. How about sometime next month (early March)?
[signature]
So a quick question. I picked one up last year and haven't used it yet. It was used and came with the whole electric motor mount, motor, and battery. Not a bad buy for $350. Anyway, the guy said the weight of the battery tipped him back a bit when he went out with the motor and battery. Is there any easy way to compensate for this? The only thing I could think of is maybe getting a small inner tube and putting under the battery box, but that would also increase drag.
[signature]
HOW LONG IS THE TOON I HEARD THAT ON THE BERRY THEY KICK PEOPLE OFF IF THE USE A MOTOR ON A TOON UNDER 8 FT BECAUSE OF THAT PROBLEM DUE TO IT BEING UNSAFE. THAT IS ONE OF THE REASONS I BOUGHT A 9 FT TOON.
[signature]
Just picked up a tube after Christmas and would love to see more than a picture of how to set up my tube. Have searched the archives and there are a lot of great ideas. Pictures help but to see the different setups would be great. I'd love to read any helpful incites you have TubeDude.
[signature]
Depending on the adjustments your toon has, you might be able to slide the frame and/or seat forward on the pontoons. I have to sit forward a little bit when the water gets choppy, and I have a 7 footer. Them batteries are heavy. I actually wanted to figure out a way to mount the battery more forward on the toon, but I haven't figured that one out yet.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Let us know the make and model of your new craft. Pics would be good too. The size and shape of your tube (round, U, V, etc.) will help determine the best placement for the different goodies you might wanna add.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You will be welcome at any of our get togethers, to bring your craft and look over the others for ideas and suggestions.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In the meantime, here is a Word doc of one of my INFAMOUS writeups, on some of the available options and addons. It should at least make you aware of a few things you may not have thought of at this point, and let you know a few more of the questions, even if it does not provide all the answers.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I got a tube for Christmas and would love to come learn how the heck to use it!
[signature]
Guess I still forget to leave details. I have a Trout Unlimited Gunnison tube. It is U shaped and am looking forword to trying it out this summer.
[signature]
[cool]We need to get this going, and maybe start a floatilla out on Utah lake for some eyes and whities by the springs, the time of year and warmer weather has given me the itch to get the toon out. to get myself ready for ice out on the Berry. [Tongue]
[signature]
I am going to discuss this with the many folks that will be involved with putting this together and get a date solidified.

If you want to float Lincoln Beach, the way things are looking I am going to most-likely head out there this weekend and give it a try.
[signature]
Cool,I will be watching the posts on this thread or if you post a new one.

I wont be able to float lincoln this weekend, I will be in the Viva Naughton Derby from Friday till monday. but the next weekend looks clear. [Wink]
[signature]