Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
YUBA GLORY DAYS
[cool][#0000ff]While staying inside with "seasonal miseries" over the weekend, I was doing some computer file cleanup and organizing. That included some shuffling of fishing photo files. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As I got to the Yuba Lake folder, I almost cried when I reviewed my pics from the "glory days" of years past. Here are a few to bring tears to the eyes of anyone who either also remembers those days, or who can't wait for them to return.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, lest I be sorely chastised for contributing to the demise of the fishery, by keeping so many fish, I will only say that the periodic "crashes" in fish populations are more the result of environmental problems than overharvest. Droughts and drawdowns impact the perch spawn, then the walleye and other predators finish off the few remaining perch and they all die from starvation.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]On most of the trips I made to Yuba in those days, there were seldom more than a dozen other fishermen on the whole lake. In fact, on the day of that picture with all the perch in front of the boat, we were the only ones on the lake. It was in early November. We kept ONLY 100 fish, out of probably 300 caught. Every fish in that pile is over 12 inches, with some over 14. And, we fished only about 3 hours one morning before the W blew us off the lake.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Most of the perch and walleyes were taken on my early model "perch urchins" and "bait bugs", all tipped with perch meat. And, for those who say that you can't get walleyes through the ice, we had days of releasing up to 50 in one morning. Once we found an area with structure, and stayed quiet, we got regular action.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sniff, sniff, sob, sob.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Snort! Snort! sniff, Sniff! [Sad]
Sadly I think those days are gone, but I hope not!
[signature]
I waited too long and only fished Yuba once for walleye, about a year before the recent crash. Lloyd and I had a fun day and managed to catch a few, and we met up with a boat at the dock that had limits of walleye.

Any chance you can put dates on those pictures?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I got my first decent 35MM camera in 1981. Most of my pics before that were poor quality "Instamatic" shots on small negatives. Those shots were mostly 1982 and '83. I moved out of Utah in early 84, although I did make some return fishing trips through the years.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There is an old saying "You can never go back." That sure seems to be true when it comes to Yuba. Probably even more than missing the fishing in the main lake, I miss the climbs down the face of the dam to fish in the pool below, on the Sevier River. There were always fish in there...from large rainbows, walleyes and channel cats to perch, chubs, suckers and carp. Oh yeah, there were usually some northerns in there too. The 16 pounder in the previous pic (along with that bucket of walleyes) came from below the dam. Sadly, vandals have made that area off limits and all you can do is look down upon it wistfully from the top of the dam. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]Those pictures are pretty dang impressive! I sure hope that lake returns to that in 5-10 years, or at least sometime during my lifetime! That must have been an amazing place to go. Great fishing, and not very big crowds-how would that be? From what I understand, the last 5 years or so before the most recent crash, that place was starting to get pretty crowded. My guess would be that when the fishing gets good again, it will take a couple of years before word gets out that there's big Walleye's in there again. One can hope, right? I hope those little Perchies are going to have a huge and successful spawn this year! In the meantime, those fat 'bows should really grow well this summer to where we're catching 4 pounders outta there this fall, eh?
[signature]
Any pike in there now?

Rut
[signature]
why o why did you do that... now im crying!!! we are five yrs away again.. that new dam better work!!!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]It is suspected (hoped) that both northerns and walleyes were smart enough and hardy enough to get upstream and survive in the Sevier River. Same with channel cats. However, unless there is a big planned planting, at the time when there is a decent population of forage (perch), we are not likely to see many (any) northerns or walleyes. Natural recruitment takes a long time if there are only a few to get things started.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have heard unsubstantiated reports of a couple of small walleye being taken, near the head of the lake last summer, but until RELIABLE sources document a catch or two, it has to be treated as heresay. I just hope some bozo doesn't luck into a couple and keep them. I know at least a few guys that would gladly attend a lynching party.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]Great pics, thanks for all the info. I was wondering outloud if the DWR has any intention of re-establishing the Walleye Population to Yuba in the future, It would be nice, but I havent read or heard of any intent by the DWR to do anything like that. I know they re-established the Perch, and trout, and when the Lake was drawn down they installed alot of cover in the form of old christmas trees cabled and anchored together all to give the fry a place to hide so they could mature, and not be devistated all the time. Maybe in the grand scheme of things they intend on planting a few thousand Eyes in there after the perch population is recoveredm, or do you think a few bucket biologists will do that, too soon before the forage base is completly intact and slow the recovery of the eyes and perch? whats your opinion on that?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]My understanding, from several "reliable" sources, are that DWR has every intention of trying to restore the Yuba fishery to some semblance of the days of old. The first step, as you have indicated, is to get a decent population of perch going, as a forage base. That is going to take both some more plantings and some good spawns. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]With the water rising as fast as it is in Yuba, it would seem viable to dump in a bunch more perch and the newly flooded vegetation will make both good spawning habitat and a nursery for the hatchlings. I'm sure that DWR is following it as closely as us anxious Yubaholics. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of the things I did not point out previously was that in the days of plenty, there were several year classes of perch in abundance at all times. Spawning was successful most years, and the young of the year swarmed in the shallows by the millions. By late summer or early fall, they clung together in huge schools of 3 to 4 inchers. They were just ideal munchin' size for toad perch and walleyes of all sizes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Fishing Yuba in those days was a lot like fishing salt water. You did not look for individual large fish, or even groups of larger fish. You used your sonar to find the schools of bait sized perch, put over marker buoys and then fished around the perimeters. Whenever you could find small perch, the larger predators were generally hanging close by.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When the fish were in shallower water, and actively moving and feeding, you could cast or troll perch pattern Shad Raps or various colors of plastics. When the water cooled down, before ice up, you needed to "spoon" them or jig vertically with different metals and plastics. Adding a 1" strip of perch meat to a 1/2 oz. gold Kastmaster was almost guaranteed to get either a toad perch, a walleye, a channel cat or even a northern. The same stuff worked well through the ice, later, when you could find both the bait and the bigguns.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am optimistic. I just hope I can hang in there long enough for the cycle to kick in again.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Well well... just in time for some real meaty tidbit of all time! Sit down, fasten your seatbelt and hold on...

I spoke with a neighbor's father who is a DWR officer who oversees the central region including Yuba. I asked him if there was any outside chance that walleyes will be reintroduced back into Yuba... and this is what he had to say, "Yes we have been working on the securing of the christmas trees, transferring and releasing of perch into Yuba, the perch is really taking off right now, there are millions of frys proliferating. When the year class perch are stabilized, the water rising more and more, then we will discuss the readiness of all the factors, when the time is right the walleyes will be stocked." I said, "stocked?", he said "technically, its just transfer of walleyes from another place". I asked if they were going to catch walleyes from Starvation to ease the burgeoning numbers and put them into their new Yuba home? He said he has "not heard much but the name Starvation has been mentioned in the transfer of 'eyes." Then he said there was a mention of ordering walleye frys from the east but nothing else was said.

So you can see the intent is clear by the DWR to reintroduce walleyes when the time is right. Yahooooooo! It would make sense before the perch population became too much, and would crash too soon, the walleye comes into the picture to help with the balancing of the huge perch population.
[signature]
[cool]Now that is great news, I fell in love with Yuba when it was in its boom cycle, I spent countless hours patrolling the banks and every nook and cranny of that fine fishery with my sonar and my bottom bouncers, I knew when to throw a jig, a spoon, and where to find them on the conditions that were present at any time on the water. but then it busted and it all went down hill very fast. I know that if the DWR were to go to the Provo river during the spawn they could get a few different year classes on spawning females, and it wouldnt hurt that fishery, just like they did with the perch from Jordanelle, then close Yuba to the possession of Walleye for a few years and let them come back like they did in Deer creek. I for one would assist in the live catch and transfer of Eyes from any body of water like they did at Jordanell. And i am sure a few BFTer would too.. but again thats great news that they plan on restocking that fishery.
[signature]
I thought that the "Glory Days" of Yuba were RIGHT NOW!!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey, are you some kinda rabble rouser or sumpin'? [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I guess you are right though. If ya go fishing at Yuba, for anything besides troutski's, the score is liable to be Yuba 1, anglers zip. As long as Yuba keeps winning, it gets the glory. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Better rethink the terms.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I understand that Otter Creek is getting some water now. What is the prognosis for this year?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[size 1][#0000ff]"I am optimistic. I just hope I can hang in there long enough for the cycle to kick in again."[/#0000ff][/size]
[size 1][/size]
[#0000ff][size 1]Hey Pat, you aren't that old![/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I grew up in that area and back in the late 50's, 60's and into the 70's the perch never did overpopulate in Yuba. They wanted to put Walleye someplace in the state to feed on the perch, but then much to their surprise the perch became a very popular game fish. So between the fishermen and the Walleye, the fluctuating water levels, and lack of cover for the perch...the perch have disappeared.

Since then the Walleye have starved and because of the drought, the drain down of the lake and combined with lack of feeder fish...the Walleye have also disappeared.

The perch is a very slow growing fish and as long as they have a good food source and time to grow, they will get to a significant size, but regulation is required to protect the perch from unscrupuluos fishermen who only want those of size.

If fishermen take only the large fish...in essense the spawners and the walleye eat all the smaller fish...the perch will just disappear again.

This is why the DWR and the BASS Federation and Walleye groups are trying to put Xmas trees and other structure into the lake.

We also need another type of feeder fish or food source for the Walley and Perch to maintain a viable fishery.
[signature]
[cool]Hey Paul, that's awesome news!! I'm glad to hear that my little hunch up above was correct, that the Perch ARE reproducing well, and that they in fact DO plan on stocking Walleye in there again! That place is going to be great again, and I can't wait. I moved from Nevada in '97 which was probably at the tail end of the most recent boom cycle, so I didn't get out that far to fish. I can't wait to fish there in about 5 years for Walleye. In the meantime, this spring, I think I'll go out there in my tube or boat and take advantage of those fiesty Rainbows that they planted to keep us busy until the eye's come in!
[signature]
Even though i am just a spring chicken and i only fished yuba a handful of times it is my most missed fisher, i loved fishing for the eyes, i really didnt care for their mighty fight, but they sure are a tasty fish to eat. I only ever say 1 perch in there, it followed a crank bait that i tossed out but it didnt bite it had some size to it though.

I have heard rumor that the notherns worked their way up-stream, so if somebody decides to involve their hand they may return, even though i dont approve of this activity.

I cant wait for the eyes to return and pauls news was uplifting, because all that i had heard before was that the dwr would reintroduce the walleyes "someday"
[signature]
TD -- The Glory Days are referring to the trout in Yuba currently. Better than ever! Hit it now, while they are still there!!

Otter Creek has a history of growing big fish fast. With the water we are having, Otter Creek should be in good shape. Fish were re-stocked this last fall, and by next fall (if there is still water) you could be seeing fish close to 18" again. Keep the water in the lake, and by summer of 2006 you'll be catching fish over 20". Water is the key to this place.

One other place to keep your eye on is Piute. Same situation as Otter Creek.

http://sevierriver.org/reservoirs/teacup.php3
[signature]
well the glory days of the trout in yuba will be over sooner than most think.. the mass amount of carp will see to that soon..
i hate to say it but yuba could be as good of a trout fishery as otter creek,piute,and 9 mile.. if only the carp was not in the lake..

i know alot of fishermen on this sit would be very upset if the lake was changed into a trout lake my self as one of them.. meny days have i spent fishing for the pike,eye's perch,and cats in that lake..

but if you look at the lake as a big fish produceing lake with alot of food in it, it would not surprise any to see that most any kind of fish would do good in yuba with the proper managment..

i sure hope that the DWR are planing on restoring the pike to the lake as well..a fun and whiley fish to persue any time of the year..
[signature]