Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opps now the report
Hit the Weeb yesterday for about four hours.Fishing wasn't red hot but not bad he cought 3 whiteys and I could about 13 fish whites and browns. Good days.

P.s. I havcen't done much warm water fishing can any body give some tips on how I could go about gitting into some eyes at willard from my tube.

Thanks FB
[signature]
Welcome to BFT!

TD be the man to handle this one.. PAT?!!!!??

Btw Pat, have rope, will tow. Of course you could always just climb in and I'd haul ya out in my old tug to light pole, or where ever, and and back. [Wink]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome to BFT. Gotta ask...is the FLY in your name related to fly fishing, aviation or a zipper problem? Sorry! Welcome aboard.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=37646;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"][#333366][size 1]WILLARD BAY (UT)[/size][/#333366][/url] [#0000ff]Here is a link to a thread on the float tubing board that touches on early season tubing on Willard. If you haven't visited the tubing board, look it up on the main index and drop in. Likely to be some useable stuff for ya, and I have just completed an archive, with links to most of the past discussions, by category. Here's the link to that: [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=184642;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]TUBING ARCHIVES[/url][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As you probably know, Willard has been trashed by low water over the past few years. All of the good early season tubing spots, for walleyes, are either high and dry or still too shallow for optimal angling. Those would be the areas of rocks over near the light pole (northeast corner) and around the mouth of the south marina. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Even though (thankfully) water is pouring into Willard right now, there is still a long ways to go before it hits the traditional high water mark and the rocks along the dike are in the water. There has been little serious prospecting so far this year, so everything is pretty much guesswork. However, if I were going after early eyes, I would first try to get somewhere near the mouth of the inlet, around the entrance to the south marina. The current from the inflow will be pulling the walleyes like a magnet. They are not too far from spawning, when the water warms above the 40 degree mark, and they will move as far up the channel as they can. Just remember that the channel is closed, to the mouth of the marina, after March 1. However, I have taken both channel cats and walleyes on crawlers and cut bait in that channel, as early as mid February, when the water was coming in.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The next best place to dunk your donut would be where the road goes over the dike at the southwest corner. You can reach deeper water not too far offshore. You should have sonar, to check depth and bottom contours. There are some humps and breaklines in that area that could hold some walleyes. The depth was down to only about 8-10 feet in that area before winter, but it has probably come up a few feet since the water was released into the lake.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You can launch off the swim beach or the marina, at the north marina. That is easiest, but not necessarily the best place to find walleyes in low water. I used to do well there in the fall, when the lake was full, but it is too shallow, too far out, to hold as many fish right now. However, I am betting that as some of the gravel bars become covered they will attract walleyes at night, during the spawn in April.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The best fishing for walleyes is after the spawn, from mid May until the water warms and the water skiers hit the water in June. Fish it from dusk until a couple hours after dark...or get there an hour or so before daybreak and fish until bright sun chases the eyes back into deeper water for the day.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When there is some clarity to the water, you can use a variety of shad imitating hardbaits, like the Producers or RatLTraps. White plastics, in 3" to 5" sizes work well also. During murky water or low light conditions, tie on "fire tiger" hardbaits or use chartreuse plastics, with a hot red or orange head.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We need to watch that lake and get some savvy anglers doing some research. There will be a lot of changes over the next few months. We can only hope the fish are plentiful and healthy...and cooperative.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]HEY DON...I don't do "towing". I almost found out the hard way that you can get in trouble real quick when you let some power jockey control your destiny, while you are tied to their boat with a rope. Thanks for the offer. I am sure your intentions are honorable. Yeah, right.[/#0000ff]
[signature]