Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waders and relief when float tubing
All the discussion about the pros and cons of neoprene vs. breathable waders made me think of my number one problem with either type when I am out float tubing. Now this is a bit personal, but I bet I'm not the only one with this problem. It happens that as we get older we tend to need to relieve ourselves more often. At work, that means I visit the urinal in the restroom more often, but when I'm out float tubing (especially when I get cold) it's not always convenient to paddle clear in to the shore everytime I get the urge. And it's not very pleasant to keep on fishing when the pressure builds. I've tried a little plastic urinal (with a catheter and rubber tube) that you wear inside your waders strapped to your calf, but it's not very comfortable or convenient. I've heard that some people just let loose inside their waders and wash them out later, but I've only done that by accident. Any advice from float-tubing wader wearers with this same challenge?
[signature]
For several reasons, I now have a motor on my toon.
It gets me to the shore fast when needed. It was the only good answer for extended days on the water. By the way. My son once loaned his waders to a friend of mine. The next time my son went to put them on, the stink inside the waders was real bad. We can only guess what happened inside of them. We through them away.
Moral is, don't loan out your waders.
[signature]
thats a good question sence sunday will be my 2nd trip ever. But i have a toon with a electric motor. maybe that is the answer it can get you to shore real quick.
[signature]
We all know that what goes in must come out. It is always important to limit your liquid intake for a good period of time when planning to go tubing.

Caffeine and alcohol both act as dieuretics to the urinary system. Not only do they constrict the bladder but they also contract the urethera. Resulting in more frequent needs to urinate.

Certain medications can also have this effect. Blood thinners, heart meds, kidney meds, as well as excessive doses of vitamin A can result in similar spontaneous reactivitiy.

When your life depends on certain meds or other liquids, the your tubing experience will be better in the warmer months when waders aren't required. You can relieve yourself with discretion and still maintain your dignity.

If non of the above liquids or meds apply to you, just limit your water or juice (especially cranberry, apricot, and peach) to 2 hours before tubing.[cool]

By the way, we would like to see you on the float tubing forum as well. Its for all the members from all over the world.[Smile]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Man, if I had a quick and acceptable answer to that question, I could have retired rich a long time ago. Tubing and "calls of nature" are two things that do not go together well. It is an indelicate subject, and I hope we don't offend anyone by dealing with it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]TN2 gave some good advice. It all comes down to a basic law of human physiology: WHAT GOES IN, MUST COME OUT. Although, I have never been able to figure out how a 12 oz. container of your favorite liquid intake can quickly turn into at least a gallon of "bilge water"...especially when you have just kicked your way out to your honey hole and the fish are biting.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Forget all of the contraptions and contrivances (like the Gladder Bladder) that supposedly allow you to "take care of business" while afloat. They are just something else to "catch fishermen". When confronted with "urgency", you have only three choices: 1. Do the right thing and head for the head (shoreline "comfort station"). 2. Go to shore and get well away from the water line before "downloading" (environmentally concerned). 3. If you are in a craft (like a pontoon) in which you can lower the front of your waders...well, you get the idea.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Perhaps more importantly than a solution to urgency on the water is planning ahead. Most of us know at least a few hours before leaving that we are going to go afloat. That allows us to consciously restrict our liquid intake. It may seem like a great sacrifice to not finish off that six pack the night before an early morning tubing trip, but your bladder will appreciate it. Similarly, even though you may think you can't function without that morning coffee, you will be happily surprised at how much longer you can stay out fishing before you have to download, if you do not start the morning off with a giant cup of Joe.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Most of us tubers do it automatically, but I am amazed at how many floatation fishermen fail to make a "pit stop" before launching. Hey, even if it has only been an hour since you left home, that last "drain" can buy you some time.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In addition to the pharmacological input from TN2, let me add that biological forces work against us tubers too. First of all, the physical exercise of launching and kicking around in the water work the muscles and make the kidneys function harder to clean the lactic acid and other chemicals of muscle activity from our systems. When the air and water temps are cold, our bodies need to produce more warmth, and that means oxidizing more nutrients...producing more waste...and creating more "output".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That was a whole bunch of words (as usual) just to say that there is no way to completely avoid the "need to bleed" while tubing, but you can minimize the problems with proper planning...and by paying attention when Mother Nature issues her first warning. As we all discover, some things do not improve with age, and will not go away if you ignore them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If this was not a family forum, I might divulge how I used to use plastic bags (to protect the environment), and then lobbed them at boats or water skiers that got too close while I was tubing. But, since this is a "refined" audience, I won't mention it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey SkinnyLynnie, I too am well aware of this problem. Not just because I'm a fisherman but a scuba diver as well. I wear a drysuit (I'm allergic to the cold) as its warmer than a wetsuit. There are generally 3 options for scuba divers with drysuits. The first is what most tubers will do, and that is to hold it until your out. Second option works for either of the sexes. There are these wonderful things called Depends. Its a viable choice and used more than you'd think. And it saves your waders from the stench and having to be cleaned all the time. The 3 option is for guys only (sorry gals)and is my prefered. It is called a "pee valve". There is a condom cathater you put on when you put on your waders. The cathater runs to a stop valve located on the leg of your drysuit or in this case waders. When ya gotta go turn the valve and go. When your done turn the valve back to shut it off. They are easy enough to install. You should be able to buy them at any scuba store. You may have to order it and wait for it to arrive unless the store deals in technical dive equipment. HMMMMMM Don't know why I've never thought of this before. I'll be installing one in my waders now I've thought of it.[Smile]I can feel the relief already!!
[signature]
Man, just carry a sqeeze bottle of Gatorade or an empty, I mean, with you and fill and dump...... #2, well, thats when your legs get a workout propelling you toward shore but for urine disposal, well, nothing like an empty bottle to have handy when nature calls.... Course, you have be kinda flexible and manueverable and all that but with a little fidgeting, you can get it to work. I'm a skinny guy so I have tons of room in my waders and this is why this works for me.... Guys in a toon have it easy, they've got all sorts of room to work with. I used to make a mad dash for the shore but that just makes an accident more probable to me anyway.... kinda forcing the issue. Anyway, I spose if you don't want to dump it in the water or whatever, just tie it off to one of your D-rings on your tube and use it as a float tube anchor or something.... [cool] Don't ever just pee in your waders...they stink like roadkill times ten and it itches like crazy....good luck with that....
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]This subject has been discussed throughly enough. No need to get everybody on the board to chime in. I am locking it but not deleting it, even though some of the suggestions are borderline "out there".[/#0000ff]
[signature]