Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fall Walleyes
[size 3]I just fell in love with this article from the In-Fisherman magazine and figured I would post up some of my favorite parts. Maybee it will give some of us walleye anglers a bit of new perspective. Fall migrations seem to be triggered by 1 day length, 2 water temp, 3 water level, 4 forage movements. Gizzard shad spawn in the spring, but begin moving in fall. The shad move toward shore as the water cools, best fishing always occurs when the shad come in thick. Cold snaps really get the fish chewing in fall, while warm stable turns them off-opposite of summer. The cold snap triggers the walleyes need to develop fat for winter survival. As fall progresses, lakes gradually go oxegen deficient, this causes baitfish to move in to rivers, the walleye follow. The deeper the water level in the inlet, the more consistent the walleye run will be. The walleye will stay in these spawning locations all winter and into the spring when the walleye spawn takes place. Everything about fall walleye fishing screams crankbaits. October is peak time, depending on weather. Crankbaits are key because the fish are feeding on minnows. Peak fishing should be when the water temp drops below 50 degrees. Ive tried all kinds of crankbaits, but minnow baits rule. says Hook. Areas where walleyes are most active seems to be less than six feet deep. As the water cools below 30 degrees, the fish move into the deeper holes. Dont expect a lot of big fish to show up early in low water years. [/size]

[size 3]Like I say, this is not in any way my own information. I dont even fish in the fall. I just found the article to be very informative. And I had a difficult time picking out what to put in the post. The article is five pages long, so clearly I didnt do it justice here. Man, I love the In-Fisherman![/size]
Thanks for the posting parts of that article. A lot of great info, but what does the last sentence mean,"Don't expect a lot of big fish to slow up early in low water years". Does that mean show up early for the spawn? WH2
[signature]
Great article! I am still pretty amazed that all the times I have fished Willard I have never got lucky enough to pull out a Wally. Someday luck is bound to find me[Wink]

By the way WH2, that was a nice one you pulled out!
[signature]
The article in In Fisherman was written by Matt Straw. There's another good article on DEEP fall walleyes in the Outdoor Life this month, by Dick Sternberg and another in North American Fisherman on the same subject by Al Lindner...formerly of In Fisherman.

If you have an opportunity to read the latter two articles, you will swear they are written by the same person. Whole paragraphs are almost identical. I wonder if Al Lindner is "ghosting" for someone else, or is submitting the same story to different magazines under different names.

At any rate, the content is good. It puts some science to the conditions being discovered by serious Deer Creek walleye chasers right now. The fish may go well over 50 feet deep at this time of year, and require specialized tackle and tactics.

I have been a longtime subscriber to both In Fisherman and North American Fisherman. When I saw Al Lindner's kisser on the cover of the NAF magazine I thought somebody messed up on their cover pics. But, it went on to explain that the Lindners left In Fisherman to launch "Lindner Media Productions."

I've always enjoyed their programs, and have added much to my personal fishing database from them. But, I do have a problem with the "Lindner attitude."
[signature]
Thanks Teroy, I'm sure you will get a walleye, if not this year
then next year for sure. Thanks to everyone that voted for my walleye. WH2
[signature]
Hey tube dude, where can one find lindner media productions? I was not aware they left the In-Fisheman staff. But where ever Al goes, I will follow.
The first I knew of the departure was when I got my new North American Fisherman magazine...where I guess the Lindners will now be regular contributors. I knew nothing more than what they announced in the list of articles for the month.

I did a bit of creative net surfing and came up with a news release from Vexilar that explains things a bit better. Seems they are forming a new fishing network, and will be producing fishing shows independently, to market to stations and to sell as videos. Good money in that. Can't blame them. They have a good following and should be able to "cash it".

Here are some exerpts from the Vexilar news release:

Lindner Media Productions Supporting Vexilar Marine Electronics
Minneapolis, MN - Vexilar Marine Electronics, makers of quality marine electronics for over 40 years has announced they are working with Lindner Media Productions for the 2003/2004 season with their new Television fishing program. The newly formed Angling Edge Network consisting of angling legends Al and Ron Lindner as well as James and Daniel Lindner.

Consumers will be able to watch Al Lindner on the Angling Edge Network starting in January 2003 and see first hand how Vexilar products to help viewers catch more fish.

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"] By the way, Predator, if you can't get your fishy-smellin' paws on a copy of the North American Fisherman (it's a club thing), I'll be happy to scan it and email it to you.[/font][/size]
[signature]