Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any surfers among us BFT'ers?
I am curious to know more of us BFT'ers, are there any surfers here? I don't mean internet surfing, but real actual big wave surfing! If there are members who used to surf or currently surf and fish up here in Utah, please PM me and let me know as I wanna hook up with somebody for good ole surf talk and fish at the same time.

Might as well check out this site under surfing and go figure this one out... I may be retired but I ain't that old...

http://morgannews.us/famsports.html#extreme
[signature]
yeah i used to be a surfer out of s. cal between working on sportboats which was my real passion surfed from oxnard to the N. down to S.D. in the S.
[signature]
Aqua long time no talk!!! What have you been up too??? We should get together one day for some fishing, what is your sched like?
[signature]
Aquaman, Were you one of those hardcore locals out at Oxnard's Hollywood by the Sea? Those guys were very notorious for chasing out non-locals. LOL. Finally a BFT that surfs, do you still do it? I still do, I have my parents living in Redondo Beach and they are keeping my boards and wetsuits for when I take my vacations down to Southern Calif.

I went surfing last christmas vacation, and the waves were 8 to 10 feet at El Porto, while Palos Verdes Reef was slightly bigger, and heckuva lotta fun pulling in big barrels.

When was the last time and place you went surfing? Tell me stories please, and do you subscribe to surfer and surfing mags? What kinda boards do you ride?

I tried surf-fishing at Redondo Pier during a flat spell and caught lots of rock cods. It sure was fun sitting out on the board under the sun and fish your brains out. Try wearing a military vest with lots of pockets and drain holes so it wouldn't fill with water as you paddle out to fish. I've gotten some looks from fishermen in their float tube as I sit on the board catching fish...
[signature]
hey rob my schedule is what you called screwed i'm driving a truck now so i'm in an out of town never know when are for how long i'll be back in town hope to change that in about a year when hopefully i can get something local

hi paul never a local in oxnard i worked on sportboats and where me and the boat went my board went surfed mainly at newport and redondo beach area but man that been a while back now about twenty years or so i'd say sure wish i could say it was last week as i turly miss the ocean
[signature]
You surfed Redondo? That is my hometown, born and bred there for 28 years til I got married. Did you ever surf the breakwall? I am a local there, still am as I have retained status symbol there for so many years. There are guys who have been surfing for 30 years who still live and surf there. How about Topaz/Sapphire jetty or the RB's horseshoe pier on windy days which somehow the onshore winds blowing against the piers' parking lot and its businesses turns it into offshore making for epic fast short makable tube riding?

How about the Newport's Kodak sandbars/jetties at 56th street? Ever heard of Danny Kwock of Wave Tools surfboards, currently a CEO of Quiksilver surf clothing company? He and I would face off there all the time.

Ahhhh those were the good ole days gone by on the wings of time, and I most certainly miss living near the beach and surfing all the time. I guess I hadda grow up sometimes haha. Paul
[signature]
I ALSO USE TO BE A SURFER WHEN I LIVE IN SAN DIEGO. SENCE THEN 18 YEARS AGO I HAVE LOST MY HAIR AND ONLY SURFED TWICE. AND LAST TIME IT FELT LIKE I WAS DOING IT FOR THE FIRST TIME AGAIN. MAN I MISS THE RIDE.
[signature]
o'yeah surfed that little breakwall many a time and all the spots you mentioned at least once or twice used to live in san perdo where the waves aren't that great we used to hitch hike around palos verdes pinn. to redondo all the time
[signature]
I tried it a couple times last year at Pacific City, Oregon. Had to rent a dry suit from this little shop up the road along with the board. I only ever got up once. The third day I was out there somethin bumped me. Probly just a surf perch or sea bass, or even kelp, but I don't wana take that chance! It was really fun, but I won't be caught out there again. I'd rather fish for great whites with a lambs leg than my own!
[signature]