Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's Your Goal When Fishing
Most people end up throwing something back. Many people eat at leat part of their catch. Others may be out for a trophy.

When you go fishing - what is your main purpose?
1. Catch & Release
2. Hook & Cook
3. Selective Harvest
4. Trophy Hunt
5. Relax / Spend Time With Family/Friends
6. Other (Elaborate)
[signature]
I have kind of a mixture of all of the above. I used to go fishing with my son quite a bit. We have been cut back to 5 trips a week. 2 freshwater and 3 saltwater. Weather permitting.

We fish for just about anything that bites while experimenting (tackle testing) with new stuff. There is not as much sport in only catching on an old favorite.

The majority of what we catch goes back in the water. Especially Large Mouth Bass. Those are toys.

We can spend hours on end catching Blue Gills on different types of lures, bait and using a variety of presentations. All for fun unless there was a special order placed from our kitchen.

When ocean fishing, we can catch limits of various species in a short amount of time. We only try to keep a big one of the Jackpot contest and only what we can eat for dinner that evening. Frozen fish is not my cup of tea. The fresher, the better.

Regaurdless of wheather we C&R, trophy hunt, selectively harvest, or hook and cook,........We go to have a good time and get away from everything else that is not fishing related.[cool]
[signature]
1, 4, and 5.

I think they all go hand in hand. 5) Fishing is my relaxation time. If I'm with friends, all the better. 1) If I actually catch something, that's awesome! But I always release since I'm a vegetarian. 4) And who wouldn't want to hunt down and catch a trophy while relaxing, enjoying time with family and friend... and since I always release, I'll take pictures of the trophy and release it.
[signature]
all the above it depends on what i'm doing and who i'm wtih
my goal will vary widely from one day to the next. but you can put me in to most of the catigories or one or the other.
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][#005000][size 3]Catch & Release. When my wife was alive, I would always bring home a trout or two for a special meal. Yup I did the cooking of any thing I caught. Now it is not worth the bother to cook fish just for myself. Doubt if my Husky has a flair for the fishy stuff.[/size][/#005000][/font]
[signature]
Ah thats an easy one, it is to try to catch a fish. That and relax for a while
[signature]
Hi there,

I guess it's 6.

To spend time with and have a deep, meaningful conversation thus bonding with a fish who truly understands me.

JapanRon
[signature]
My goals when fishing are very specific, and when those goals are acheived, they provide some of the greatest moments that I've ever experienced.

My goals are as follows, beginning with the most meaningful: [ol] [li]Have a very positive, memorable experience with my children, who always want to go fishing, and my wife, when she chooses to attend.[/li] [li]Spend time in a very beautiful, relaxing, and preferably wild setting, while enjoying the many sights, smells, and sounds of such places.[/li] [li]Hopefully catch a fish or two, just to see the excitement and thrill on my kids' faces.[/li] [li]Occasionally bring home a fish or two for the pan or oven to extend the enjoyment of the day.[/li] [li]Learn a new trick or two to make me a better fisherman so that the next outing is all that more enjoyable.[/li][/ol]
[signature]
1. Survive the beating my wife will give me for taking another day off to fish.
2. Remember to put the boat plug in.
3. Don't leave my lunch in the car
4. Catch a fish right as another boat cruises by
5. Enjoy the day.
[signature]
Mostly to get out and relax and have fun. I put quite a few smaller channel catfish and small blue catfish in the freezer every year to eat but the big ones need to be released to make a whole bunch more little ones.
[signature]
UtahPescador: Your wife must know my wife.
[signature]
[Smile] I like to just get out there and relax with some beers and catch anything that bites
[signature]
First: Dryrod - my condolences on the loss of your wife...

When I fish, I try for a mode that has the whole world shut out except for the water, the fish, nature, and anyone I might be fishing with. It's kinda like getting "in the zone", all the worries and concerns of life fade out to nothing. I don't get it every time out, but when I do, many hours can pass by before I realize it, and I come away very relaxed and rejuvenated.
[signature]
[center][Smile][/center][center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Thanks snook.hooker for your kind words. I will have to agree with you on getting away from it all while fishing. Nothing better than wading in a cool stream surrounded by the wonders of mother nature. Oh and yes it helps to catch a fish or two.[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
It's almost always catch & release (unless I'm crappie fishing)

But my main goal is to figure out what the fish want. That usually is a big challange in itself!!!
[signature]
MY FIRST GOAL IS TO GET AN EARLY START, THE BEST PART OF ANY DAY IS THE HOUR BEFORE THE SUN COMES OVER THE HORIZON. I ALWAYS START WITH THE IDEA TO CATCH AS MANY FISH AS POSSIBLE, BUT THE FIRST ONE IS ALWAYS THE MOST SATISFYING, THEN AT LEAST YOU DON'T GET SKUNKED.. I RELEASE AT LEAST 90% OF EVERYTHING I CATCH, BUT I LIKE TO KEEP TWO WHEN I AM IN THE MOOD TO SMOKE A COUPLE. MY KIDS ARE GROWN AND GONE NOW, SO IT IS USUALLY ME ALONE WHEN I FISH. AND I ENJOY THE SOLITUDE FISHING GIVES ME.
I STILL BELIEVE IN THE OLD THOUGHT THAT FISHING IS LIKE SEX, WHEN IT'S GOOD IT'S REALLY GOOD, AND WHEN IT'S BAD IT'S STILL PRETTY GOOD.............
[signature]
3. I've never regret taking a munchie or two home from time to time.
4. I often head hunt but all biggin's are released after a photo or two has been taken.
5. Fishing aint all about catching.. Catching is merely icing on the cake..
[signature]