Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln Beach Conditions
[cool][#0000ff]I had to make a "speed run" to Utah County about midday Thursday. Took my new (TubeBabe's) camera and shot some pics of Lincoln Beach. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In the attached pics, I included one from December of 2004, of the first springs, along with one from today, to show how the water has come up. Based on my best guess, I would say that the water has risen about 2 feet. In one of the other pics, you can see that the flat rocky area to the east of the first spring is only a few inches from being covered by the rising lake.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I also shot a pic of the Lincoln Beach International Port (launch ramp). It is still low, but deep enough to launch small boats. There were three boat trailers in the parking lot and all three boats were visible in the area. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I checked in with an oldtimer and his dog, soaking worms in the first spring. He said that he had not had a bite all day, nor had he seen any other fish taken. He did say that some boaters had been getting into a few walleye quite a ways out from the springs. He said he saw a catfish jump, in the springs, but there were not even any white bass biting for the shore anglers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There is a full moon right now, and a north wind. It was a strong steady breeze and a bit nippy even at noon. Hopefully the north wind will die down by the weekend. The bite seems to be better with a south or west breeze.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I drove west, along the main road, to see how far the water had come up over the rocky area past the third spring. The water's edge is approaching the road, and the shallow rocky flats look like they may have some good potential for nighttime eyes during the spawn. That has been a good area in the past. 10,000 locals in waders can't be wrong. It will likely be hammered over the next month or so.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I hope the DWR continues what they started, by monitoring the area more closely for violations on size and possession limits for walleyes. I also hope they watch everyone for snagging. There are a lot of big mamas full of roe that go home with big holes in their sides at this time of year.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Pat, it looks very encouraging. The water might even rise enough to allow me to fish my honey hole for cats on the west side of Utah Lake again this year! The last couple years I haven't even dared try to get the boat anywhere near it.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I'm wit you, Junior. I am optimistic that it WILL be a good water year for Utah Lake, maybe better than for Willard. With the plans to increase inflows from all sources, and the great snow amounts in the watersheds, your spot on the west side should be deep enough to keep from dinging the prop on your new electric. As you know, that area can produce lots of good action on whiskerfish. They still hang around even when the water is shallow, but if you value your boat and motor you do not chase them in the rock filled water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I was pleasantly surprised to see all of the standing water in the fields between Spanish Fork and Utah Lake. Benjamin Slough appeared to be running well, and the flats at the south end of the lake are gradually disappearing under water.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I don't need much water. I anchor in about 2 1/2 feet and cast close to shore and literally catch them in water that is probably only six inches deep. Those channel cats aren't proud, but I sure do enjoy reeling them in.
[signature]
[cool]Those pictures and that report are very encouraging, Pat! I can't wait to kick around in my tube out there Saturday, and to fish with a lot of fun company and knowledgeable fishermen. Hope the North breeze halts in time for the floatilla, but if not, at least we'll get to kick around and get some good exercise!
[signature]

I fished L.B. on monday, no bites at all, the weather was real nice no wind no clouds and no fish. the marina is a little over 2 feet deep. later chuck
[signature]
The thought of Utah Lake continuing to rise considerably makes me very happy, indeed. Not only will the fishing be better for many anglers, but the thought of a lot of new green growth being flooded along the shorelines for this fall's duck season makes me feel all warm and tingly inside.

Hey, Mr. Dude, I grew up in Spanish Fork (I now hail from Provo) and I've always heard tales of the great Walleye fishing around Lincoln Beach and the Spanish Fork River inlet in the spring. Any chance that I could join you and any of the other BFT crew for a little training on one of your Walleye-seeking trips?

Even better, do you think you could offer a little advice on what to use, in what structure, and when? By talking about it now, I forsee me being up to speed if and when I might be able to join you fellow BFTers at L.B.

Thanks in advance,

PF
[signature]
A handful of us including the dude will be there Saturday in the morning if you would like to join us. We launch in the early wee hours at the LB marina.
[signature]
This Saturday may be out of the question for me, but please keep us all informed regarding how you all do and the next time you all plan on a BFT meeting.

Also, I don't have a float tube, but I do have a fine pair of waders, and being fairly familiar with L.B., I would assume that wading would work. Am I right?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Mr. Prince, you are welcome to join us whenever we post up a planned trip. We are going to have a few toons and tubes at Lincoln Beach tomorrow morning (Saturday). However, we will be seriously fishing for at least the first couple of hours after daybreak so we won't be conducting any classroom stuff. However, once we are off the water, you are welcome to look over the tackle and lures we use, and hopefully the fish we caught.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of the things we have tried to encourage is having little mini seminars on different topics of interest. If there are a few more members who would like to get together for some "sharing sessions", let's do it. I know Mike and Alan are always open to having something in their warehouse, in Midvale. However, if someone down in Utah County has a place big enough for several people to hang out for awhile, we might consider having one down there.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have been fishing Utah's walleyes since the early sixties. I have taken them all around Utah Lake, just about every month of the year. And, I have hung them on everything from flies to carp meat. These days I use plastics almost exclusively, although there are times when they are active when a noisy crankbait works best.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Anybody who claims to be able to catch walleyes anytime they fish Utah Lake will lie about other things too. We have some real walleye pros among our BFT members, and most of them will admit the same thing. They love walleyes largely because they are such a challenge. True, they are great eating, but they will never win any contests for being the most acrobatic fighters. It is the thrill of fooling them and feeling those heavy head shakes that keeps us coming back for more abuse.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]For the most part, walleye fishing is "finesse" fishing. You need good quality tackle, matched to the size and type of lures you are fishing. You need to be able to concentrate on just what is going on with your lure, rather than fighting a balky reel or springy line tangling around your rod tip. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You need to be able to cast a reasonable distance and then keep your retrieve just above the bottom, moving slowly without diving into the rocks (Lincoln Beach eats jigs). That means using the right balance of jig head size, hook size, plastic size and speed of retrieve. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You need to know when to use a single jig and when to rig a tandem setup...and how to rig them. Then, you have to balance the tandem jigs to provide the right retrieve without being too heavy and hanging up in the rocks on every cast. You also fish a tandem rig differently than a single jig rig.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Those are all things that are "hands on" and learn by doing. You can't possibly learn everything you know just by reading. It is best to fish with someone who has "been there, done that" and to practice the right stuff until it becomes natural. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Once you learn all the basics, you will spend the rest of your walleye career relearning what you think you know on every trip. You can never count on anything for certain. Maybe you whack them one day, using a certain color and retrieve. You go back down the next day and can't buy a hit using all the same stuff. Only after experimenting around do you finally find the pattern of the day. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You really do need to know more than one way to fish them, and you need a complete arsenal of the best potential lures on any given trip.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If I were to offer some simple suggestions, I would begin with FISH LIGHT. I use line no heavier than 6 or 8 pound, and often throw 4# for small single jigs. A fast tip rod, medium action, 6 to 7 feet in length. I prefer a 7 foot, especially for tube fishing, because it helps me control the line better. Buy the best and smoothest reel you can afford. Keep it tuned up and keep the drag set just tight enough to set the hook, but loose enough to give a little line when a big mama walleye makes a surge. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Most big fish are lost by being impatient and trying to net them before they have been whupped. If you try to pull a walleye in too fast, head first, they will often open their mouths at the surface, shake their heads back and forth, and you will have to duck the jig as it comes flying back at you. Keep their heads under water and just lead them into the net.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]This is turning into another TubeDude epistle. Spend some time with a good search engine on the internet, learning as much as you can about walleye in general. Then, be ready to toss a lot of it out the window, because Utah Lake fish are different. They live in totally different conditions than "traditional" walleyes and they behave differently.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Nuff said for now.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks, TD, for the helpful advice. I'm anxious to read the report on how you all do tomorrow.
[signature]
Mr. Dude-

You sure know how to make a guy long for that familiar old bump, bump, pull. Oh, Oh yeah.....give him a little line......he's got it....set it...NOW!!! FISH ON!!!!

Man---I gotta go walleye fishin'.....
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Don't get so excited. Breath through your nose and slow down. You're steaming up my monitor.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hi Pat Very good advice. Have a good fishing day tomorrow at LB . Fish at 1st spring about 30yds out in front of the sping mouth remember to get there early or you don't have good spot . It will be crowded tomorrow. You guys will catch them tomorrow. You can use white bass meat or minnows to bait fish. I think LB walleys are a lot better shape than the walleyes catch from Provo habor.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks for the advice. I also think the fish around the Provo Harbor area look skinnier. They must not have very good shopping there for their food.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have also noticed that the shorter fish are skinnier than the bigger ones. I suspect that is because there are not many little (food sized) fish in the lake this time of year. The larger walleye can still catch and eat fair sized sunfish and white bass, but the smaller ones will keep getting skinnier until the new crop of young fish hatch out in the spring.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]For that reason, the white bass are a lot thinner now than they were late last year too. I don't know what they live on through the winter. The few I have kept in the last couple of months have had nothing in their stomachs. I know they will eat leeches and insects, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of those for them to eat either.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am sure that we will have company on Saturday. For the next month or two, all of the walleye fans will be ganging up on those poor fishies. Sometimes they move off a little ways and if you can find them you can catch them...until everybody else joins you. I will settle for one nice walleye and then play with the white bass for awhile...if they are there.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Let me know if you are going to be down there and we can get together and work out a plan. We just have to be a little bit smarter than the fish...and the other guys down there too.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Pat
I don’t know why channel cat is very healthy and plenty of body fat. I catch couple channels last week and they looked very healthy and fat. But walleye and white bass are not.
Pat enjoy your day I planned to fish LB this Saturday but my son has karate tournament this Saturday so I have to change my plan. Hope you guys have a good day
[signature]
I think that's the reason that White Bass never reach their full potential size in Utah Lake like they do in other areas around the country. They have no transition food to help them make the jump from insects to minnows for food. It takes them awhile before they get big enough off of eating insects and such before they can tackle their own kind or baby carp. The carp grow out of their dinner plate size too quickly.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Channel cats stay healthy when other fish are stressed. They are scavengers and eat the dead and dying. They can eat and digest almost anything. The walleyes and white bass prefer minnows and leeches. I think that if there was no other food in the lake, the channel cats would find a way to make a living eating rocks.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck to your son in the tournament. You are a good father to encourage him and to attend his special events. [/#0000ff]
[signature]