Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay Wipers!
Hey gang-

I watch the Outdoor channel faithfully. My wife gives me grief for it but she doesn't understand. I taped a Bass Pro program the other day and watched it last night. They featured Kevin Van Dam showing a tandem rig he uses for schooling large mouth. The first thing I thought of was wipers at Willard. Has anyone heard of the "Zulu" rig for tandem baits? He tied a 16-18 inch leader to a number 5 barrel swivel on one end and a 4" shad looking fluke by Strike King with a 5/0 worm hook in it on the other end. He tied another rig identical to that only 2" shorter. He took the shorter rig and slid the main line through the swivel so it could slide free on the line. He then took the longer rig and tied the main line to it. He didn't tangle at all. The two #5 barrel swivels were enough weight to bring the rig a few feet below the surface. He fished it like a jerk or stick bait. He was sight fishing for bucketmouths. The baits scrambled like two shad darting back and forth. It was very cool and worked well.

The first thing I thought of was boiling wipers at Willard. Do you think we will get any of that good ole' days surface action this year at Willard?

J.
[signature]
Sounds like a good idea, a few of us have used similar rigs with limited success. As far as the boils at Willard go, it all depends on how far the lake is drawn down. Boils are few and far between when the water level is low because the water becomes muddy and the wipers have a hard time getting the shad in a tight group when they can't see them. WH2
[signature]