Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buzzbaits
[cool][#0000ff]One of the age old problems of fishing buzzbaits is that you gotta crank em fast to keep them on top. Sometimes the fish are not quite active enough to chase down a speeding buzzer, but will hit something slower...like a prop bait or popper.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As you no doubt realize, there is a balance between the size and shape of the lead head, and the size and style of buzz blade. The heavier the head, the faster you have to reel to get it to stay on top. The bigger the blades, the more resistance to help keep it running on top and more slowly. There are "clacker" blades and other things you can use to dress up the lures and create more noise.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have been playing around over the years, trying to come up with buzzbaits that could be retrieved slower, for slower fish. One solution is a floating buzzbait, as in the pic below. Since it floats, you can do a slow steady retrieve, keeping the plastic blade buzzing. Or, you can pop it or stop and start it, like a prop bait. You can use either trebles or regular spinner bait hooks...dressed with grubs, skirts or worms.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sturgeonkid loved those both in Utah Lake and over in California. In fact it was his suggestion to add the treble at the front because he noticed that a lot of the fish were hitting the front, rather than nipping at the skirt, like most buzzbaits. Once we added the treble he got lots of hookups on that front hook.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have also been making "flathead buzzers" for a few years. You can adjust the bend in the wire to get them to plane up and ride on top at very low speeds. In fact, you can build them as spinner baits too, and you can bubble a big Colorado blade on the surface to call up fish in murky water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Let me know if you would like to try some of the flatheads. I can make them in any size and color. I am also planning to make some buzzers using bunny fur.[/#0000ff]
[signature]