Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ssor (Texas Moderator) Ventures to Michingan
ssor and I met in beautiful down town Walled Lake in front of Neno’s Italian bakery About 10:30 Sunday morning.

If I had remembered I would have gone in for sum fresh garlic bread for my spaghetti on Monday (they have the best garlic bread in town, just heat and serve)

We headed off up town to Elias’ Brothers restaurant (home of the big boy) where we talked fishing religion and politics. Though we had all the answers to the world’s problems, we succumbed to the conclusion that there was nothing we were going to do about it today. (It’s our day off) We had a breakfast that could not be beat from the breakfast and salad bar (all you can eat). If you left hungry it would have been that you were too lazy to go up and help yourself.

When leaving we left them a tip and then a really good tip on top of that - We left our calling cards (here is a copy) (who couldn’t use a good fishing tip, I ask ya?) [center][Image: MESS3307CustomImage015436.jpg][/center] [left]

We exchanged material for our different programs (used fishing equipment for mine and used printers for his).

We then headed on our way to the 4-H all-star reviews. This is an annual event that takes place in the end of October of each year to recognize youths and leaders for their achievements through the past year.

On our way there, zigzagging and winding past dozens of lakes we pass the boat ramp where we will be planning our Ice Fishing derby this winter.

On our arrival we were ushered in as the horns of the Aztec’s Indians’ began to blow. Then the drums began to beat to the beat of their ancestors of the ancients, calling to their sun gods and giving thanks for the life giving rains. It must have been the Indian blood coursing through my veins that kept my foot bouncing in time to the beat of those drums of my heritage. Although my ancestry is Cherokee, I found it most difficult to resist joining in with the native dance.

This came as a special treat for ssor for the reason that this is the native dance that is from his homeland of Old Mexico (Texas) I can only imagine how that must have made him feel, “longing for home”.

The drums came to a halt. And the awards ceremony began. State legislators and state representatives were introduced and invited up on stage to recognize and pay homage to those who have achieved the standards of all stardom. And what a great bunch youths they are, from every thing from gardening to livestock to folk patterns to community service were awarded and recognized by county and state officials.

By now I am sure that you are wondering what this has to do with fishing, and might I say with due cause. Because it is in fact, and indeed, in the name of fishing that ssor had been invited to this prestigious event.

A few month back, (as many of our readers may remember) ssor had volunteered to donate a rebuilt computer to a fishing derby here in Oakland County Michigan. Not only did he donate this tremendous prize to this derby of disabled children, he drove through the night to get it there and deliver it in person. (Well over a 6 hundred mile trek round trip)

With this single act ssor had combined what he dose best (Rebuilding computers) to what he enjoys most (Fishing) and brought this combination to those youths of this derby. (All in the name of the brotherhood of fishing through the membership of Bigfishtackle.com)

Ssor had, to the bewilderment of the Oakland County 4-H community received the “Friends of 4-H” award, one of three awards given each year. There are many nominees (sponsors) each year and might I say many who deserve this award for their generosity. [/left] [center][Image: MESS3307CustomImage0165803.jpg][/center] [left]

I say bewilderment because before this day no one had ever herd of Dwight D. Ross (ssor) because of his location but not for his unfamiliarity with the 4-H. ssor’s mom (windy a member of this board also) had been a member of the 4-H for the past 50 years, in the very town where 4-H had began 150 years ago this year, in the very school house where it all began.

You can bet by this time next year Dwight will be a house hold name in the homes of Oakland County 4-H community, because this community is a close and tight group they will know who and how Dwight became involved with the 4-H which means that they will all know how ssor and I had come to meet over the Bigfishtackle.com message boards.
[/left] [center][Image: MESS3307CustomImage0171355.jpg][/center]
[signature]
Hello Guys,

Thank you for that awesome report and all of your efforts to promote the future of fishing and help the kids!! I'm glad to hear the trip was a great success, and I love the cards!
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
you two guys are the greatest ! i am so proud of you both . i wouldn't care if you had a dime to your names , your two of the richest men this world has been blessed with .
[signature]
lonehunter,
Thanks for the compliment. Since I became disabled it became apparent that no one realy knows me. So I got it in my head that if I can do something unique for others it would help people remember me for who I am. I hope when it is my time to meet the fish gods for my final trip to the waters that I am remembered as: That old fart that cared about the future of the disabled children of the U.S. I am always looking for more mentaly challanged children That need my program to help them improuve their lives. As long as I can find the children I will find a way to help!
By the way After my last order from one of my supplyers I think I might still have a dime left! Glad the first is only a week away ![Tongue]
[signature]
Lonehunter thank you for them kind words,

This is what we live for now, since our lives have been forever altered by useable, uncontrollable and unfortunate circumstances. This is our way of pushing back at the tides that hold us in place.

Your appreciation and respect for our efforts are our payment for what we do, so again I say warmly thank you for noticing.
[signature]