Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay Info and Map
[cool][#0000ff]For the benefit of those who do not have a map of Willard Bay, I am attaching one that you can copy and enlarge for more detail.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You are right d-mack. That road is terrible even during dry periods. It will be tough getting to the southwest corner right now...much less fighting your way clear around to the northwest corner, where the light pole is.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Since the south marina is still closed (my preferred launch site when the water is up) I will be launching at the southwest corner, where the water users have a dirt road access up over the dike to service their pump. You have to trudge your craft around the locked gate, but it is easier to use that road than to fight the big rocks anywhere else around the dike.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If someone wants to fish from shore, they can go up and over anywhere they want. There are several good productive spots along the entire south side. If you are fishing for wipers you can chuck out your bait and wait. There will usually be some coming by. Or, you can simply walk and cast. In a tube, you move in and out, trying different spots and different depths, lures and retrieves.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you brave the rocks on the dike, be careful. Pick your path well, and if you have kids, be sure to help them over the rocks. Once you are past them, there should still be some sandy beach to set up on.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I plan to take an assortment of plastics and hardbaits for the wipers and stripers. In years past, white and chartreuse have been the best colors this time of year. And, they usually hit a slow retrieve better than a fast one while the water is still cold. In fact, soaking a plain old nightcrawler...either on the bottom or a few feet under a bobber...will catch as many fish as the fanciest lure in your box right now.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Since I got my two pole permit, I will probably be drifting a crawler or a piece of fish flesh around on one rod, while chucking plastics on the other. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hope somebody does a good job with the "Anti W Dance". The lake is pleasant this time of year as long as that stupid wind doesn't kick up. If it stays nice, we WILL catch some fish.[/#0000ff]
[signature]