Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Report 3-2
Hit the Berry today for probably the last time this ice season. Fished back by Renegade and did very well. There were 3 of us fishing and we iced 101 fish today. I got lucky and ended up with the biggest fish today, a 23" 4lb fatty. He was fun to catch. All fish were in about 30 feet of water. We caught them on a variety of jigs and baits. It seemed like if you changed lures around every hour or so, you could stay into active fish, which is kind of strange, because usually if you find something that works, it works all day....not today. We only iced one bow today, the rest were mostly slot cutts. A couple under and the one over, and he is still swimming around, so hopefully next time I catch him he'll be much bigger! Funny thing was he had a fresh paddle bug inside of his mouth that had been broken off of someone elses line! Too bad for them. There was a little slush down next to the ice, but it wasn't bad yet. Still lots of snow on top of the ice. Snow was 12-14 inches deep. Four wheelers are a no no anywhere besides the marina area. It is packed down pretty well, there, but once you get past Haws point, it's all over. If the warmer weather continues, the slush will worsen quickly. The ice was about 20 inches thick, so be prepared for a workout. Here is a pick of the big dawg of the day.
[inline berrymar05.jpg]
[signature]
[green][size 2]Nice cutthroatasaurus. How didya get back there? And, why was I working?
[/size][/green]

[signature]
Nice fish! Great report. You have had some excellent days at strawberry this winter. Its good to hear you released the big one. We hear too many reports of the big ones being taken home, next year he could be around the 27" range.
[signature]
Killer report but how did you get there ? I wonder if I could take my wheeler on the snowmoblie trail around to renegade and hoof it in from there . Thinking of hitting it myself .
[signature]
Nice fish!
We were over at the ladders today, on foot, which wasn't too bad. My two boys and I iced 35 fish in about 30 feet of water. I guess we did o.k. considering we had no fish finder and were hoofing it. We caught most of ours on green and white curly tails tipped with a crawler or meal/wax worm.
Jeff
[signature]
[cool]Nice fish, Bee. I can't wait to get out there after iceoff to nail those hungry fish. I don't have a power auger or snowmo, so I'll wait till the end of April to get after 'em again. That lake rules!!
[signature]
Hey Tommy, someone has to pay the bills![Wink] My friend has a couple of snowmobiles, so that made getting back there easy.

Randy, you could ride your machine back on the road/trail. It's a long ride, just over 10 miles if I remember correctly, but they keep it groomed, so it is packed down and easily traversable (usually). You can usually get to the marina withot difficulty.

MGB, it is true that a lot of nice fish like that go home instead of going back. He was tempting me quite profusely! But after the pics my intestinal fortitude took over and I let him go. Hopefully he gets to grow nice and big now.
[signature]
[size 1]"My two boys and I iced 35 fish in about 30 feet of water. I guess we did o.k. considering we had no fish finder and were hoofing it. "[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]You did great![/size]
[signature]
TKB-
Give me my paddlebug back!!!!! I knew it was a big fish when it broke me off on tuesday! LOL[Wink]
[signature]