Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Fishing Sunny California
no joke Ice fishing in california is both exciting and accomidating to lake walkers (Ice Anglers)

here is one destination that you will be sure to want to hit when visiting the west coast and you get tired of worm sunny days head up to Boca Reservoir

Fishing season is year-round, with ice fishing during the winter. Available species include kokanee salmon, rainbow, brook, and brown trout. Access by paved road. Handicap access ramp with platforms for fishing opportunities when the reservoir level is high enough.

Take I-80 west from Reno. Site is 1 mile north of I-80 near Truckee, [center]Boca Reservoir
Truckee Ranger District
Tahoe National Forest
10342 Hwy. 89 N.
Truckee, CA 96161
Phone: 530-587-3558
[/center]
[signature]
[center][Image: aa010702a.jpg][/center][left][size 1]California, particularly the northern Sierra Nevada, is home to more than just a handful of easy-to-reach lakes offering excellent ice-fishing, including Caples Lake, Lake Davis and Prosser Reservoir. Snowmobilers have access to even more targets, such as Jackson Meadows (outside of Truckee), Blue Lake (near Caples Lake) and Antelope and Caribou lakes (near Eagle Lake).[/size][/left]
[signature]
[ul][li][size 1]Caples Lake [/size][/li][/ul] [left][size 1]600-acre lake nestled at an elevation of 7,950 feet. The lake is usually frozen by Christmas and offers ice-fishing into March during cold winters.[/size][/left] [left][size 1]The drawback at Caples is the wind that whips through the mountain pass and over the lake. But on sunny, calm days the beauty of Caples is hard to match.[/size][/left] [left][size 1]Caples Lake is located on Highway 88, just past Kirkwood Ski Resort.[/size][/left] [ul] [li] [size 1]LAKE DAVIS[/size][/li][/ul] [left][size 1]just outside of Portola in the Plumas National Forest, may have more fish than any other lake in California.The Department of Fish and Game has been aggressively stocking the lake since a pike eradication program resulted in the elimination of fish from the lake in 1997.[/size][/left] [left][size 1]That means plenty of brood-stock rainbows as well as the smaller 12-inch catchables are open game. Because there is natural reproduction occurring in Davis, anglers also have a shot at wild trout.[/size][/left]

[size 1]The road to Lake Davis is plowed to the dam and there is no fishing inside the marked area near the dam. A snowmobile is helpful if you have any desire to cover the 30 miles of shoreline. Top spots include just outside the dam, Mallard Cove, Coot's Bay, Mosquito Slough and Lightning Tree. [/size]

[size 1]Lodging is available in Portola and nearby Quincy. Dollard's Store in Portola is well-stocked with equipment to buy or rent. Information: Dollard's Store - (530) 832-5251.[/size] [ul] [li] [size 1]PROSSER CREEK RESERVOIR[/size][/li][/ul]

[size 1]The dam area is the best place to start, but don't be afraid to work the shoreline in 4 to 10 feet of water. Count on catching rainbows, most in the 10- to 18-inch class. But don't be surprised by the larger browns. [/size]

[size 1]Information: Mountain Hardware - (530) 587-4844[/size] [ul] [li] [size 1]RED LAKE[/size][/li][/ul]

[size 1]Red Lake is chock full of brook trout, although there are rainbows and large cutthroat trout lurking in its depths. Fish near the dam in shallow water (no deeper than 10 feet) for best results. [/size]

[size 1]To get to Red Lake, take the Red Lake turnoff from Highway 88 (about six miles from the junction of Highway 89). Information: Carson Ranger District - (775) 882-2766.[/size] [ul] [li] [size 1]SILVER LAKE[/size][/li][/ul] [left][size 1]Less than 10 miles below Caples Lake is Silver Lake, also right on Highway 88. Nestled at 7,200 feet, Silver Lake is less accessible than Caples Lake because it lacks a developed resort or parking area. [/size][/left]

[size 1]If you can access the lake, try the island near the inlet stream. Expect mostly rainbow trout, but large browns and mackinaw also populate the lake. [/size]

[size 1]Information: Eldorado National Forest - (209) 295-4251[/size] [ul] [li] [size 1]FRENCHMAN LAKE[/size][/li][/ul] [left][size 1]Frenchman Lake seems out of the way, but it's just 35 miles northwest of Reno. The lake is usually safe to ice-fish in late January and is good through February. The road is plowed to the dam, and many anglers cut holes right there. [/size][/left]

[size 1]The wind usually picks up in the afternoon, so fish early before conditions become unbearable. Night crawlers and Power Bait are the standards. [/size]

[size 1]To get to Frenchman Lake, take U.S. 395 from Reno north to Highway 70 and go west. Proceed to the town of Chilcoot and the turnoff on Frenchman Lake Road. Go right and drive nine miles to the dam. [/size]

[size 1]Information: Wiggin's Trading Post - (530) 993-4721.[/size] [ul] [li] [size 1]BOCA RESERVOIR[/size][/li][/ul] [left][size 1]Located just two miles off Interstate 80 east of Truckee, Boca is easy to get to and is second only to Prosser Reservoir for ice-fishing prospects. [/size][/left]

[size 1]Boca is stocked full of rainbow trout and is complemented by a large population of kokanee salmon. What makes Boca attractive are the coves that dot the shoreline from the dam to where the Little Truckee River enters the lake. The shoreline offers access to a multitude of promising spots to begin drilling holes. [/size]

[size 1]Information: Mountain Hardware - (530) 587-4844[/size] [ul] [li] [size 1]STAMPEDE RESERVOIR[/size][/li][/ul] [left][size 1]Just above Boca Reservoir is the larger Stampede Reservoir. Covering more than 3,000 acres, it is second in size in the area only to Lake Tahoe. Kokanee rule the lake, but there are rainbows and mackinaw to be had. Stampede takes longer to freeze than Boca and Prosser. Make sure to call and make sure it's safe before you venture forth. [/size][/left]

[size 1]Information: Mountain Hardware - (530) 587-4844[/size] [ul] [li] [size 1]EAGLE LAKE[/size][/li][/ul] [left][size 1]Only the hardcore need apply for ice-fishing duty here because when it's cold here, it's really cold. The home of the famous Eagle Lake trout closes to fishing on Dec. 31, but that allows for ice-fishing if an early cold front moves through. [/size][/left]

[size 1]"During the winter of 1988-89 it hit 30 below and the ice was plenty thick," said Paul Chappell, a biologist in the Department of Fish and Game's Region I office. "And four years ago the ice-fishing was phenomenal. But most years I wouldn't trust it." [/size]

[size 1]The mouth of Pine Creek is where most ice-fishermen congregate. Worms work best. [/size]

[size 1]Eagle Lake is located near Susanville. From Highway 5, take Highway 36 in Red Bluff east toward Susanville. Prior to reaching Susanville, turn left on Eagle Lake Road. [/size]

[size 1]Information: Eagle Lake Ranger District - (530) 257-4188[/size]
[signature]
[center][size 2]Lake Tahoe[/size][/center]

still searching for information so dont count it out just yet. I know there is a ski resort near by, so where there is constant snow there has to be ice.
[signature]
Great Info Davetclown! I live here and wasn't aware of these spots. Definetly something I will try to check out this winter. Any info on best time of year to go?
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
[cool] from the information that I have gathered thus far is that these lakes typicly freez around mid December to Christmas and stay frozen thrugh February to early march.

one would not normaly think that such conditions exist in this sunshine state. But if you concider where these lakes are located then it is not as much as a phonominom, these cold water lakes, home for trout since the last Ice age thaw are at elivations of 5000+ feet in altitude (above sea level)

at that altitude the weather conditions are similar to that of the great lakes state of Michigan and actualy cooler than the south eastern part of the state. (Detroit area)

while last year in the Detroit area where we were blessed with 3 - 4 weeks of good ice fishing, california lakes were doing outstanding trout fishing through the ice.

I am hoping to get in a day in at a couple of the trout ponds here in michigan this winter. I my self have yet to fish for trout through the ice and am looking forward to giving it a try.

What I have to do between now and the big freeze is learn the techniques of trout angling through the ice so That I will be prepaired when it is time.
[signature]