Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lookin' to buy a tube
I know I've seen similar posts before but at the time I didn't pay close attention because I wasn't looking to buy a tube at the time. Anyway sorry for the rerun guys [unsure].

I'm in the market for a float tube. I've never tubed before but I have a buddy who is going to show me the ropes. I was just wondering what tube to buy. I hear a lot of good about the Fish Cat 4. Are there any others I should be looking at and considering? Are there any I should avoid like the plague?
[signature]
I'm sure when the mighty TubeDude rolls back in from his morning adventures on the pond he'll chime in. I too have heard good things about the fish cat, so I doubt you can go wrong there.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Gary, the FC4 is a quality craft for a reasonable price. It is made by Outcast, as is the Super Fat Cat like I drive. There are several of the Utah members who have them and seem to be happy with their choice. If you want to read several different reviews, from around the country, go to our Float Tubing board, on the "Best of the Best" sticky thread, and scroll down until you come to the links on the different kinds of craft. The link for the main post is:[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=184642;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]TUBING INFO[/url][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Before I make any specific recommendations, I like to find out what a potential new buyer wants in a craft. Your size, weight and physical condition can be important, as is your preferred type of fishing and the waters you will be floating on. Feel free to PM me with specific questions and or considerations.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of the other factors, for many newcomers to the tubing game, is PRICE. If you have a budget you want to keep within, or if you are not sure you will be doing a lot of tubing, you don't need to spend a lot to get a serviceable craft. The Fish Cat 4 tickets out a bit above $150, and is a good buy in that range, compared with other makes and models in a similar dollar ticket range. However, Sportsmans carries the Griggs line, which are very decent craft, for well under a hundred dollars.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A couple of other worthy and popular brands are the Trout Unlimited line and Creek Co. [/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Besides being rated as big enough to float your frame, whatever that may be, you will want good valves, quality materials and stitching and lots of D rings...for hanging rod holders, sonar, nets, etc. from your craft, without having to resort to ropes and straps. You will see a lot of that stuff on the float tube board.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Depending on the kind of fishing you do, you may want to look closely at the pockets too. The FC4 has the typical large pockets (from Outcast) that can hold larger lure boxes. Trout Unlimited seem to be made for fly flingers only and their small pockets are designed for fly boxes and small stuff. Not good for warm water fishing guys.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Depends on your budget. If you have the cash look at the different fishcat models. If money is tight..you can get a good tube for $70 ....get one of the WW. Griggs models at sportsmans. Its a good size tube with some higher priced features without the higher price. I have the V-6000 and have loved it. Can't go wrong for the price. Remeber you'll need to buy some fins and will want some waders that don't leak!
[signature]
They usually have good deals at the sportsmans show. thats where I got mine two years ago. That'll give you a good excuse to go. I'm going to look at toons, and if I find one I might just donate mine to you. Depends how much of a hurry your in. I would rather give my stuff to someone that will use rather than sell it. That way if they don't like it they can never come back at me about it. LOL Al
[signature]
Well I'm working graveyard shift tonight so I'm too tired (and lazy) to send you a private message Tubedude but I'm 5'10" 220 and other than a bit chubby in the mid section I'm in good physical shape.

I've been buying my stuff in pieces. I got some good waders (I hope they're good anyway) I'm looking to get some fins here soon and hopefully my tube in the next two to four weeks.

If you're looking to donate an old tube Alan I'm not to proud to accept charity since I also need to get a tube for the wife who has decided she enjoys fishing (this is her first year) and really gets excited about the prospect of float tubing.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Almost any GOOD craft is rated for weights up to 250 pounds, and one rated at 250 will usually handle heavier than that without sinking. Unless you have a HEAVY tackle box, or eat a BIG breakfast, you should be able to float well with almost any craft on the market.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am going to suggest that you PM RipNLips (who lives in Cache Valley). He just sent me the two attached pics of a couple of craft he bought new and has never used. They look to be of decent quality, and you might be able to work out some kind of deal with him. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My wife (TubeBabe) has been tubing with me for over 25 years. She loves it and is often the main instigator for getting up a trip. She often whups me on the water too, as in the attached pic.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of the recommendations I always make is to buy your fins last. First get your waders and boots and then find a pair of fins that will fit over the whole shebang and provide good propulsion without cramping your feet. PM me when you get a chance and I will send you some writeups on how to put your system together.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
It's a U-boat 2000. It's just your basic tube, nothing fancy. I've had it out twice this year already. My problem with it is that I have arthritis. I was on disability for nine years with it. I'm doing good now but the chill of the water brings back some of the pain I don't want anymore. I like the tube because its really relaxing to just sit out there and float around. Works as a good stress reliever. I'll PM you after the sportsmans show.
[signature]
I've got one I will give you to see if you like tubing. It is a trout traps tube. All the tubes are fine and hold air really well but the back pocket on the tube is ripped. It does not affect the floating of the tube any just really ugly. PM me if you, or anyone, is interested in taking it out of my garage.
[signature]