Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GRUNNION
ANYONE KNOW WHERE AND WHEN THE GRUNNION WILL BE RUNNING?
[signature]
[center][cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Hey there brownskie try this site:[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 4][/size][/#008000][/font] [center][url "http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/gruschd.html#runs"]http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/gruschd.html#runs[/url][/center] [center] [/center]
[signature]
Thanks for the info
[signature]
Hey brownskie, just add about 15 minutes to the time table for the Oxnard area. They hardly hit up in that area anymore but once in awhile they will.

Out of the 4 day expected period that they post for each of the times, you will have more success on the 2nd or the 3rd day of what they posted on the DFG site.

For better success overall, it is better to go further south like down around Malibu or North to Santa Barbara.

When they are running, it is a good time to fish for Halibut. Just throw out a lead head with a brown and silver plastic on it. You are not allowed to catch the grunion and use them for bait at the same time. Plastics work well though and some good sardines will also get you bit.[cool]
[signature]
Hey there TubeN2,

Always been in the back of my little mind. Although you can't use live grunion for bait, it might be cool to be out in a float tube casting parallel to the beach for a halibut hookup when they are running. Krocodile might just work real well! heh heh heh

JapanRon
[signature]
That's exactly what I had in mind. I have heard from other fishing buddies of mine that Grunion time is Butt time.

They go into a feeding frienzy with all that fresh bait in the water. I can imagine a crock would be good on a sloooooooooow retrieve.[cool]
[signature]
thanks for the info
[signature]
Try this it worked for me. Go to the DFG Home Page click to Fishing and hunting regs. Type "Grunion" in the search square. It will take you to a background and schedule of the entire years' grunion runs. Yes, they run all year but are only open for retention during certain months. This week they are running each night as they work the falling high tides. I can almost guarantee a halibut bite. I have been fishing the butts for 60 years and I know the grunion runs create a major halibut bite. See ya out there.
[signature]