Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3/19/05 Strawberry Report
Fished Strawberry today with MGB. As expected, I got schooled again by one of the true jigging masters. I got seven on the ice and he got about 25. Talked to a couple BFT guys on the handheld. It sounded like they were having good days. The weather was great but I got worn out watching Mike reel in all of those fish. One rainbow and the rest were cutts in the slot, except for maybe two that were just under 15 inches.
[signature]
Sounds like you guys had a good time up there. I wish I could have met you guys up there but I had to work, I guess that leaves more fishies for you guys[Smile]. Thanks for the invite.
[signature]
Yes, it was a great day. The sun was out and there was no "W" untill about 3:30 and the ice is in good shape with no slush. The first 4 hours we where getting about half the fish suspened and from then on all of them where coming off the bottom. Thanks for the trip Kent.
[signature]
[cool]Nice report, fellas. Looks like a great day up on the ice. My ice equipment is put up til Turkey Day or so, but I can't wait to hit that place in my tube after ice off!
[signature]
Hey Kent,

Where did you end up fishing? We went to CCE and did average. There was only two other groups in that bay. I was suprised to hear the fish were suspended. The one guy I talked to who iced about ten said most of his fish were suspended also. We were fishing the bottom all day. Guess I better get a fish finder. It was a beautiful day though.

tuber
[signature]
Thanks for the report Kent and MGB. Sounds like it was a fun day up at the berry. Where did you guys end up fishing?
[signature]
We fished Mosquito Bay. We had it all to our selves. It took a little moving around to find them, started out catching fish in 23' of water then when it slowed down we moved to 32' of water.
[signature]
Hey Kent good to hear that they are still biting. I am planning on heading up there next sunday.Were is that place anyway.I need to get the the stink of skunk of me from the berry! Been wanting to try pikemans killer jig for rainbows and the brains that HFT gave me!
[signature]
Here are the directions:

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=190968;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=190968;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread[/url]
[signature]
Hey Kent,

Did you end up parking on the road? Was the walk down very difficult? My plan was to hit that bay but got lazy and went to the known spot. That will teach me.

tuber
[signature]
WELL I GUESS TEH BERRY IS STILL HOT
[signature]
[size 1]"Did you end up parking on the road?"[#ff0000] We drove to the end of the road and parked just inside of the gate in dry storage. I didn't take any chances though, I paid for parking.[/#ff0000][/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1] Was the walk down very difficult?[#ff0000] No, in fact it is an easier walk than the ramp at The Strawberry Marina. The climb up is probably about the same change in elevation, but it is over a longer distance, than the boat ramp at the Marina is, so it is actually easier. The only problem was occasionally your foot goes through the crust on top of the snow almost up to your knees.[/#ff0000][/size]
[signature]
Kent,

Very glad to hear that you got into them a bit better than we did. I really wanted to go back to Mosquito after icing 42 there last monday, but my dad is getting up in years and has asthma and I thought I'd go for the easiest path onto the ice. It sounds like the snow has hardened enough to make it a lot easier though. Last monday it was too soft and you couldn't stay on top.

Maybe I'll have to make one last trip . . . again (I think that's the 3rd or 4th time I've said that now).
[signature]
MGB,

I was also there on Saturday fishing in what I know as Mosquito bay. What are you calling Mosquito bay? I caught 30 fish, all cuts in the slot. I also caught majority of my fish suspended about mid depth in the morning and then most on the bottom in the afternoon. There were two guys around the point from me, they were driving a white suburban with a BFT cover over the hitch reciever. Was that you?
[signature]
[size 1]"There were two guys around the point from me, they were driving a white suburban with a BFT cover over the hitch reciever. Was that you?" Yep, that was us. I believe you pulled in and parked at the same time we did. [/size]
[signature]
Yeah, I pulled in right behind you guys, and parked in the first little pull off. I was wishing you guy's would come over and drill me some holes with your power auger!!! The fishing died for me around noon so I took off. How long did you guy's stay? Did the fishing pick back up?
[signature]
We left about 4:30. It never really totally died off, especially not for Mike. In hindsight I should have gone to a smaller jig. As we were getting ready to go, in desperation, I put a whole nightcrawler on a Paddle Bug, and I will be darned if I didn't catch a fish on it just before we left.

So you heard me drilling holes during the day? If you would have come around where we were fishing I would have gladly either drilled you some holes, or let you borrow the auger. Having a power auger is both a blessing and a curse. The blessing is obvious, but the curse is that I am always tempted with "The greener grass theory", meaning if I drill a hole either deeper or shallower, surely there will be more fish in the new hole than the one I am fishing in already! It is extremely easy to give into that temptation with a power auger.
[signature]
I'm glad you guy's caught fish steady all day. Yes I could hear your power auger going over there, and could even hear someone talking about how they couldn't "hook em". I thought about walking over there but I knew you were further away than you sounded. I lucked out and the second hole I drilled ended giving me steady action the whole time I was there. I caught almost all my fish on foxee jigs tipped with night crawlers. The fishing ws good and weather was even better. No complaints here!!!
[signature]
[size 1]"and could even hear someone talking about how they couldn't "hook em""[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]That would have had to be me, I'm no "fishwisperer" out on the water or the ice.[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[signature]
How big were the cuts that you were catching?
Me and a friend fished on the Soldier Creek side. We were down close to the dam. The all of the cuts we got on the ice were very thin. Most were about 17" long.
We fished over by Haws Point and Renegade about a month ago, and the cuts were not only longer in general, but easily fatter.
On the Soldier Creek side, we caught 10 Rainbows, all were fat. The biggest three were 17" long.
I was wondering if you are seeing the skinny cuts over on that side.
[signature]