Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battery option for the tube.
[size 2] [font "comic sans ms"] Yet another thing I have done to waste time and to use my new finder on my tube. Also, being as frugal (cheap) as I am, I wanted to find an alternative to just outright buying a battery. I used a piece of 1" sch 40 PVC, threaded both ends. I used 1" PVC caps for the ends with #10-24X1" machine screws poking out the ends. 8 "C" cell batteries slide nicely in with the positive and negitive ends touching (all batteries face the same direction). The end caps tighten up just enough the dimple the ends of the outside batteries. Here are a few photos. Sorry about the blurriness, working on trying to figure out this new camera.

[Image: bat3.jpg]

[Image: bat2.jpg]

[Image: bat5.jpg]
I'm haven't put it thru a real test yet. So, I'm not sure how long the batteries will last. It is a lot lighter than a regular 12v battery and fit easily in a pocket on my tube.

Take care,
David
[signature]
like you said, how long the batteries will last. If you have to replace them every time you go fishing it won't take very long untill you have paid for a gel battery and charger.

I had a bottomline fishing buddy 1200 that I could get about 50 hrs. before replaccing the 3 c-cell batteries, but that unit used very little power.

Rodger
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Always messin' wit thangs, aintcha? [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have used just about every other possible battery setup but that one. I started by rigging two 6 volt lantern batteries in series. They were heavy and I got about 3 trips with my old Humminbird flasher. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I then went to the 12 volt motorcycle batteries, with the liquid acid that I had to recharge after each trip with a slow trickle auto battery charger. Too many possiblities for dumping acid in my craft, even with the plastic boxes I set up in the pockets.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I was overjoyed when I found my first small 12 volt SLA battery. The first I bought was from Cabelas, as a combo with the charger. I have gone through a couple of theirs and several others of smaller amp/hour ratings I have found at different sources.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are many smaller 12 volt batteries available through many sources...battery specialty stores, Radio Shack, etc. They all work. It is just a matter of how long they will power your electronics. The one thing you need to remember is not to drain them clear down. That is death on a SLA battery. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Charge them up to where they are putting out at least 13 volts and do not run them down past 11 volts. Top them off before each trip and recharge them as soon as you get back.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Sweet setup, but you can get an sla battery for about $20, and it will last for years.
I know how you feel though. I love to tinker too, and I'm also "frugal", although my family refers to my by the derogitory moniker of "cheap".
[signature]
Think about using some of those NiMh batteries. They should last you about 1000 or more charges. That is more frugal than the ole coppertops on every trip.[cool]
[signature]
[#0000ff][size 1]Always messin' wit thangs, aintcha? [/size][/#0000ff]

[size 2] [font "comic sans ms"]TubeDude, You know me all too well. I need to tinker to survive.

Take care,
David
[signature]
[size 2] [font "comic sans ms"] Thanks for the input all. Just thought I would try something different and if the ol' coppertops work out I'll look into getting some NiMh or NiCd.

Take care,
David
[signature]
Just remember: The NiCad batteries develope memory and eventually have a shorter life than the NiMh. Also when using the NiCad you have to completely drain the battery every time you use them before recharging. The NiMh have no memory and can be recharged at any state of useage.[Wink]

One more key factor to consider!!!!! NiCad and NiMh are a 1.2volt battery therefore you will need to run 10 of those instead of 8 of the regular coppertops.
[signature]
[size 2] [font "comic sans ms"] Thanks, I'll dig a little deeper into the NiMh.

David
[signature]