Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anchor System
Do any of you use an anchor system on your float tube? If so what poundage?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Some tubers carry anchors, for those days when the breeze is somewhere between nuisance and hurricane. For those conditions, a small 5 lb. mushroom anchor will suffice. If you need more holding power, on a mud bottom, get a fluke or navy anchor, and put a few feet of chain before the anchor to help it dig in.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of the simplest anchors is a "bag of rocks". If it looks like a potential breeze, fill your mesh bag with a few rocks from the shoreline, tied onto a cord or rope, and use it if needed. If not, dump the rocks and you have not messed up the ecosystem.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have never believed in anchors. I use big fins, that can keep me positioned in pretty good current or wind. If I can't hold in the conditions at hand, I head for shore. True, an anchor can save some kicking energy, but it also adds to the weight of your craft and takes up space. The cord or rope alone can be a big pain.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Wonderful idea about using the mess bag and filling it with rocks, never thought of that before, thanks!
[signature]
I use a soft cloth anchor sack similar to a mess sack TD mentioned. And I use it in the same manner. It woulds great. Once you done simply tuck your anchor line side and rolling up.

On the other hand, I only dawned fins twice last season (just to make use they still fit). [Wink]
[signature]
[center][cool][/center][center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]A bag of rocks is also my answer for an anchor. You can easily adjust it's weight.What do they say "he is dumber than a box of rocks" - duh I think not.[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
Hey there Crappies,

Bags get my vote too,

Sounds like you've got the answer in the bag. Just to add what doesn't really work as well as the bag....... I tried using a large mouth, good-grade, plastic liquid detergent bottle (I think it was GAIN) with the moulded-in handle.

Same deal..... put enough gravel/rocks, as mentioned, to meet expected drift conditions, either leave the cap off and or punch holes in the bottle so that no air is trapped in the bottle and away you go. Works good on sandy bottoms. Pretty durable.

Whatever the case make sure you have dumped the gravel, sand, rocks and washed out your bag/container really good so that any type critter, animal or vegatable, doesn't travel to your next fishing destination with you. That goes for waders and craft too! ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]
Hi again Crappies,

Your post reminded me of what I needed to check. I have one winder with two seperate lengths of tough, marine grade, rod handle wrapping twine (yaaa has 200lb + breaking strength) that I use as a rope for my 3lb collapsible anchor, bottle anchor, live bait tow, live basket, 4 foot live bait umbrella net, lure retriever, and sea anchor (haven't used this puppy yet). No I don't carry all that stuff at one time thank you! I don't kite fish so....... ha ha ha

Anywho.... On the ends of my two skinny ropes I've got the usual marine snap hooks and ALL of my other stuff have the quick release aluminum links INSTEAD of the links that have the knurled thingy in the center that closes the link. Oh ya .... I paint some of those those puppies with flourscent paint for night fishing. Your winder should be attached to your tube with a quick release link too for safety.

This way you've got a winder with two ropes that can serve a number of things you might want to dangle. Saves space and tangles.

JapanRon
[signature]