Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bunny Bugger Jigs
[cool][#0000ff]I put this up on the lure making board, but thought some of the Utah crowd might like to see these too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]This is the time of year I make up a lot of marabou jigs, for bass and walleyes. As the leeches and other creepy critters come up out of the mud and rocks, in the warming waters of spring, they become more of an item on the menu for many species. Marabou has traditionally been a good material for making leech imitations, both for flies and for jigs.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]I have been playing around with bunny fur this past year and have just finished making up some bunny fur jigs in the same colors and patterns that work well in marabou. I have been impressed by the super action of bunny fur in the water, and look forward to introducing these new creations to the fishies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Using bunny fur in the traditional wooly bugger fly patterns has proven very successful all over the country. So, I tied up my new jigs using palmer wrapped hackle feathers on the bodies and 1/8 inch bunny fur strips for the tails. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I used several colors and types of materials for the bodies. I tend to like a bit of flash, so I use crystal chenille on some of them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If anyone wants to play with making flies or jigs out of bunny fur, the best place I have found, for everything from precut strips to whole bunny skins is [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][url "http://www.flyfishusa.com/fly-tying/rabbit.htm"]RABBIT FUR[/url][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Most of the jigs in the pictures are tied on 1/16 oz. heads and hooks from size 1 to 3/0. I fish these in shallow water, for walleyes mostly, and I like a slow presentation. Actually, if you use a slow pumping action on the retrieve, you do a good job of capturing the swimming motion of a live leech.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Marabou and bunny fur jigs are also ideal for fishing beneath a bobber when there is a bit of a ripple on the water. The rocking of the bobber makes the active fibers come alive. Tipping them with a bit of crawler helps too.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Dude,
Those are cool. Let us know how they work.
One more reason why you are becoming one of my favorite people to copy ideas from.
[signature]
Hey Tubedude,

Those are really hot lookin' lures. I admire your talent and the skill tha you possess in making those lures. I wished I had the time to make them, you know I'm still a father of four rambuctious kids and a student in the last year of school. When I graduate, I would like to sit down with you and learn how to make them.

TubeDude, I want to thank you for the gift from the last time we met. It sure itilizes my tackle, and I can't wait to get out on the lake when this wacky weather settles. Thank you for being such a great friend!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Maybe you can help me field test a few of those goodies. We need to get together on the water again.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I'll be happy to do some "show and tell" on pouring, painting and decorating. Maybe we can find a place down in Utah County where a few of us can get together for a jig party like we have at Petty's place in Ogden or at Mike and Al's warehouse in Midvale.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have been doing it for a lot of years, but it can seem intimidating to someone who has never done it. Most folks are surprised at how really easy it is, once you have the general idea and the basic materials.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The really great thing about making your own stuff is not just how much money you can save (after the first $200 on molds, hooks and materials) but the fact that you can make exactly the sizes, weights, colors and designs you want. Then, to really cap it off, you have the satisfaction of going out and catching fish on your own creations. Yahoo.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I know there are several wannabee jig makers down there, plus some that would like to pick up a few new tricks. Anybody have a meeting spot we could use for some plain and fancy jig making sessions?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Just what I wanted for easter... a bunny I can fish with.
[signature]
Very cool TD I know just the place for that black wolly with the yellow tail! Are they on #2 hooks by any chance?
[signature]
Sweet! Got any of those goodies set up with 4/0 or 5/0's on 1/4-3/8 once heads? I think I know of a few Stripes in need of a bunny bugger sting (soon)..

They look great bud!
[signature]
Hey guys, check out these flies I tied up. The first two are tied with bunny fur and the second two are tied up with marabou as the tails and elk hair as the head and collar. The elk hair flies are killer on Scofield in June. I have caught many big fishies on them with my flyrod from the bank. The big fish seem to hunt for minnows close to shore that time of year. Can't wait to go try the flies out on some brownies.[Wink]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I just got through painting up a bunch of size 2 jigs with 1/16 and 1/8 oz. heads. I can make a few in the black and yellow and will be happy to bring some if you will tell me where to meet you for that HOT location.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Actually, the black and yellow/chartreuse is a good combo in many waters for many species. It is especially good for early spring walleyes, and again in the late fall. The contrast and high visibility of those two colors makes them easily seen in cold murky water and hot colors are usually a good choice to trigger reaction bites in cold or slow fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The beauty of making your own trinkets is that there is no limit on the sizes and colors you can concoct.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Haven't made any recently, but I have the hooks, heads and fur. Only takes a minute per jig, if you wanna PM me what specs you have in mind, or if you wanna come up for a crafting session. We can get as creative as you want.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I can do heads up to 2 oz. and have hooks up to 7/0.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here are a couple more pics of stuff I have done in the past. The Roadrunner models can be good for either jigging or trolling.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Bucko, those are meaty lookin' flies. A lot of us have experimented with using marabou and bunny fur interchangeably in our patterns. There is a growing group of jiggers and fly flingers that are using more fur all the time.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I did not include any pics of my summer trout patterns yet. I make a lot of crawdad and big nymph imitators in both marabou and fur. The basics blacks, browns and purples all work well, but combos of green and brown...some with a wisp of orange...also whack the big trout on many streams and lakes. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I first learned about the deadly green body and brown tail buggers on Strawberry many years ago, and they still are the "go to" pattern both in the spring and the fall, when big trout are chasing 'dads in the shallows. Like many of my successful jig patterns, I first used them as flies and then adapted them to lead heads.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I will be making up a new series of colors for troutskis within the next month and will post some pics then. I have ordered some new colors in the bunny fur strips and I am anxious to try them.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey Pat them are some great looking jigs. one question, can you come up with a playboy bunny, lol.
I'ed be more then happy to field test some of them for you. I have next sunday off if you would like to try hitting D.C with me this week again. I'll be going, later chuck
[signature]
You up for a little hike Bud? I know just the place not to far from here. But its still not accessable as yet. But soon.
[signature]
sweeeeeeeeeettt!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]TubeBabe laid down the law...no Playboy bunnies. Might be fun to skin one of those out, but probably wouldn't be enough material in the pelt to tie up many jigs. Kinda sparse. Here's the best I could do.[/#0000ff]
[Image: frankbeecostume_1835_62864098]

[#0000ff]I did come up with a "Dolly Fly" though. See attached pic. It's definitely a high floater.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]PM me on the trip. Hopefully the weather will lay down a bit and I'm down for dat. I'll have a bunch more new bunnies and marabous by then, including some crawdad colors.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
sweet, I like that.

I have a playboy bunny weave for fishing poles that looks way cool. I guess I'll have to wrap it on one of your poles for you, along with TubeDude, hows that sound ??
I'll pm you later,
chuck
[signature]