Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Line colors?
Hello All,

My previous post about worm color and water conditions also made me think about line colors in water conditions. Has anyone experimented or know anything about using different color line in different water colors (i.e. murky, clear, green, blue, etc..).
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
As a huge fan of flourocarbon lines, you would think that I am a big believer in clear non colored lines. However, I use the smoke fireline in many clear water lakes for trout as well as murky water for wipers. I have used the flame green in clear water for walleye and always use 20 lb smoke fireline for muskies. Clear or mujrky water, the fish dont seem to mind if they are feeding. Now trolling is where you can probably get away with using any color line, but I do believe that the slower the presentation and the more time you give the fish to look at the lure, the more luck you will have with a clearer line. But like I say, I use colored line even when casting at times. One very nice feature is that with the green lines, and even the smoke ones, you get a better look at the line so those subtle pickups that are tough to feel are easier to see when the line goes slack. So go red, green, smoke or anything else if you feel like trying it. I would say line selection goes more for species and fishing method than color.
Hello,

I was going to add some input on coloro line. I use to believe that trout or other fish were sensitive to line color. 5 years ago i started using high vis yellow stren with about a 24 in leader or so of clear blue attached. I primarily jig fish. As a result i can see my line better and i can honestly say i dont believe it has affected my chances of catching a fish or not. Even in very clear cold water streams and creeks the fish dont seem to spook from the line persay. Rather shadows or something hitting the water but i have not found yet a fish to spook from my line that i could tell. I recommend high visible line especially in slow presentation conditions for the visible of very soft bites.

happy fishing

xman
[signature]
[size 2][size 1]Hello Guys,[/size]

[size 1]Thanks for the feedback! I have always fished variations of clear line and had seen people fishing and been aware of many line colors, and had wondered if it really provided any edge on fishing certain water conditions. [/size]

[size 1]Being a creature of habit I never really had an interest in trying new line colors, but realizing now it is more about visibility then line color-vs-water conditions, I think I would definitely try it. Many times I've been fishing sunny days on clear water and struggled to see my line, trying a different color just may be the ticket! Thanks again![/size][/size]
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator