Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry report 3-26
I got to play easter bunny[Smile] for my 4 yr. old this A:M so I didn't get onto the hard deck until about 10:15-30. I tried mosquito bay for the first time. Snow was about 8 inches deep walking through. Ice was a uniform 30 inches thick and rock solid. No slush and perfect conditions. Only 1 other group there. (non BFTers) Since I was unfamiliar with the area, I randomly drilled a hole once out. It was only 13.4 ft. This was disappointingly too shallow, but I was too gassed from the walk and the drilling to immediately drill another deeper hole. I dropped in with low expectation and prepared to rest for a while. To my suprise I got a bite, and hooked up, a beautiful 18 in. rainbow. I then caught a nice cutt there and finally another 16 in. bow. That was my first multiple bow trip out there in a very long time. The action died down and I went deeper. It was slow for the next 2 hours with me only getting one until about 1:30. Then I got into the slot cutts a bit at 24 ft. until 3PM. It then died. left at 4 PM. Ended up with 8 or 9 total. Not my best trip there, but not bad for missing the morning bite. The flavor du-jour today was a pink shrimpo with bait over all other offerings. Also, some of the fish I caught were suspended at about 15-18 ft. as opposed to all on the bottom as has recently been the case. The other group did about the same as I for slot cutts, with one guy in their party having most of the luck. I guess this proves the old Strawberry adage that if you want rainbows and your ice auger hits mud as you drill, you are too deep.[crazy] Tight lines all.
[signature]
Congratulations on the bows.

That area has a weed line that is in about 15' of water and it goes all the way to the mouth of mud creek. I would suspect you would of been fishing right in it or very close to it.
[signature]
Sounds like a doggone good fishing day!
We went out north of the marina, and were basically alone too. I made calls a couple of times on the radio, but never heard any responses.
We cut about a dozen holes between the 2 of us, fishing in 26 to 38 feet of water. Man, we had a great day! When our best holes cooled off, we'd move to another for a bit, and could usually get a fish each time. But would always go back to the honey holes. Bite slowed quickly after 1:00. And we got sun burned big time. But it was too nice to sit in a tent.
All cutts today, and only one not in the slot; a 13 incher.
I was amazed at how few people were up there. Only 7 or 8 trucks in the parking lot at the marina, and fewer than 20 people fishing as far as we could see in the distance.
I'm going back soon!
[signature]
Sounds like a nice day. Wish I could have made it up today. I still hope I can make it up one more time before the ice starts to rot.
[signature]
It's still worth the drive, I can tell you that!
[signature]
Hey UI,

I tried calling on channel 12-0 all day and never got a response either. maybe you were just to far away. I was fishing in what i know as mosquito bay. (between mudcreek and strawberry bay just down from the drydock storage area) Only one other group was there and they didn't show until 10:30 or so. That ice kicked my butt with a hand auger. 5 holes and I was spent. I iced 8 fish total. all slot cutts. Not a ton of fish moving through on the finder either.

I went and talked to the other guys fishing there and it turned out to be an old aquaintance from my work. He goes by papabaruu on here. We fished together for about an hour, catching just a few trout between us. Thanks Doug, for the sandwich and soda by the way!And for the snowmobile ride back to the truck. That saved me a tough walk back in the snow.

Weather was awesome!!
[signature]
Glad to hear that you got a few. I certainly agree about the ice and using the "armstrong" hand augers! Me and the other group I mentioned parked by that picnic/ camping area south of the dry storage and walked thru the picnic table area and the meadow onto the ice. I think I did see you far to the north of me. The other group by me had a tent and was there early. Was Papa Baruu with one other guy on snowmobiles? They might have come by and chewed the fat with me briefly on the way back in.
[signature]
Yes. That was me to the north. Is that area called mosquito bay or not? I know there is that tiny little bay just south of where I was. Is that the real Mosquito bay?

PapaBaruu did come from that way. They must have been parked at the marina parking lot. They had about three snowmobiles and enough stuff to stay on the ice for a week. (good sandwiches too!)

Thick ice up there, huh! I won't be fishing the berry until ice out now. I'm thinking it will hold till the first weekend in may this year. (unless it gets real warm real soon). I hope any BFT'ers who get by there will post on the current conditions. I don't want to miss that magical 3-5 day window after ice out before the lake turns over.
[signature]
D-Mack -- You know I did hear what sounded like a keyed mike 3 or 4 times during the day, but no voice coming over. And I'd call out "D-Mack" or "any BFT anglers out there?" every time.
Like you say, must have been too much distance between us.
We weren't close enough to anyone to visit. At least 500 yards separated us from the nearest group.
We may make another run next Saturday. My other son-in-law is off, and I guess we rubbed it in just a little too much!
[signature]
Hey d-mack... happy to be of service- It was good to se you again and spend time hunched over a ice hole

FYI after you departed we continued to land fish @ around 5-6 per hour til we left at 3:30PM for a trail ride. All in all we totaled approx 22 fish all in the slot biggest was 21" - our rate of catch was above the norm according to the fish police that stopped by around 3:00...

Bottom line... a marvelous day - PB
[signature]