Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Summerizing" the ice auger??
As a newbie to having a gas auger I am looking for suggestions on what to do to it before putting it away for the summer. It is completely empty on gas.
[signature]
hey rob i think it probably wouldn't hurt to put a little oil on your blades to retard rust
[signature]
First thing, drain the fuel system. Nothing will muck things up quicker in a power auger. Empty the fuel tank right on through to the carburetor and fuel line. Just run the motor for a few after emptying the tank. Keeps the gummy deposits from building up.
They also say it's best to close the cylinder bore, to prevent any rusting. Just pull carefully on the starter rope until you feel resistance pressure, then stop. If you can release without the engine reversing due to compression pressure, then the position is closed for both the intake and exhaust ports.
Then I always plan to start the next winter with a new plug, properly gapped, and it generally runs like a new one again!
[signature]
The best thing that I have found was to get all of the fuel out of the system. "After I do that I will remove the spark plug and squirt a little bit of motor oil into the cylinder. Pull the rope a couple of times to distribute oil. I then reinstall the spark plug and leave it for the next year. I do this also to my weed eater and I have never had a problem with either.

Good luck,
[signature]
A product called seafoam, is the best thing I've found to store small engines. In fact I alway mix it with my gas/2 stroke oil mixture to keep things running clean. Like they said drain all the fuel, especially the carburator then pull the spark plug and put a little seafoam down the bore. There are several winterizing products on the market, Stabil is the most common and works fine, I just like the seafoam a little better.
[signature]