Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TV fishing shows
[Sad]I[green][font "Poor Richard"][size 4] like to watch the fresh water fishing shows particularily the Fly Fishing shows. If you can't get away to a choice rivers at least one can dream. I also look to learning something new. However, the other day I was watching a FF show (½ hour long) and not once did the two characters doing the show mentioned anything else than fish-on, beautiful fish, etc. No mention was made as to what kind of fly they were using, rod wt, type of line, etc. Boring!! What is your take on this subject? [green]I like Hank Parker for at least he gives you some feedback in each show.
[/green][/size][/font][/green]
[signature]
I like to watch the Spanish Fly. He is knowledgeable and informative about his methods. I saw one of his shows a couple of weeks ago where he took a fan of his on a little Tuna expedition.

They were using spinning gear and getting the job done.[cool]
[signature]
Hi there Dryrod,

Ahhhhhh.. As you know, I've got a cumulative list of shows in the California's media board from last year and you have also done a good list too. You wouldn't believe it but... I have a strong opinion on programing.

I'm gonna be called jealous or simple or both .....whatever..... BUT here goes.......

I watch the 'me and joe in the boat' shows between the informative or the entertaining stuff. Beat Charlie Moore or Caught Ya are so bad they are entertaining (to me...... C'mon a guy in a deer suit at a city hall that is issuing hunting licenses is offering hunters the chance to hunt him for a price).

I very much dislike the shows that think that as they're rich with a huge luxury yacht, famous personalities, they've gone to a famous and or exotic place tlhat ought to keep your interest! NOT!

Two shows I really like is 'in-fisherman' (sometimes they drive you crazy with so much detail) alas not much FF, and 'The Spanish Fly'. Jose, skilled FF'er, very often does a sit-down on tackle but is continually talking technique or bait or local conditions while fishing...... just super quality. T(ackle) & T(echnique) does it for me.

Walker Cay Chronicals is consistantly super on the first-class visuals and the 'mood' of the fishing experience. The host (not really that ostentatious) often flyfishes and does talk T &T too.

Mark Sosin?? Saltwater Journal is pretty heavy on the FF so I enjoy him in the Summer and...... he's an information provider too .... gruff yes ..... but still worth the view. He's fly fished and guided the top flyfishing anglers in the world from Ted Williams on.

Remember Gaddabout Gaddis 'The Flying Fisherman' He was also a big fiy fisher. His show inspired me to get my private pilots license, then my commercial ticket.

Now to the jealousy part.... Man... to be that barbie-doll like female profissional fly fishing angler we see every week is what I would like to be when I am reincarnated and it's time to be a woman.

Which do you prefer....'FlyFishing the World' and 'On FlyFishing Waters'?

Again, no real opinion.

JapanRon
[signature]
Bill Dance is my all time favorite. It's never about him, just what he's useing for the day and why it works. We need more fisherman doing shows and not showmen.
[signature]
I hear ya,

He seems to have a great sense of humor with his Dancin' Lessons and the many funny Bloopers he aired that happened to him too.

One show kinda bugs me as this guy seems to be famous enough to be able to fish every good (what I suspect) private fishing pond around so that he always seems to catch fish. The scenery around him no matter where he fishes seems aweful similar! Small water acreage, heavly surrounded by trees overhanging the water ... hummmm

Maybe he's just that good ..... I hope so.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Yea I just got finished watching a Bill Dance show. Looks like you got the scenery pegged down. All looks the same to me. However, he is always trying to keep his viewers informed as to how to catch more fish.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Hi there Dryrod,

Bill does have a good deal of small water footage but actually I was talking about a fellow Okie.... Donkey laughing........ Fish kisser. Seems like he's always being invited to someones pond.

JapanRon
[signature]
Well, considerin' I'm stuck with whatever is showing over the airwaves (don't have cable or satellite), my choices are slim.

We've got MidWest Outdoors which hardly ever talks about technique. Instead, it's more like an infomercial. They are always pushing a product or resort. Even their commercial breaks are pushing product or resort.

During late ice, they start showing In-Fisherman which is one of my top two picks. The other is "Angling Edge" by Al Lindner. It's a toss-up between these two shows for me. I love the information that is shared in the In-Fisherman show but I love Al's attitude a lot more and the fact that he shares his faith with as much passion as he shares his love for fishing.
[signature]
Hey there DrownedDesertRat,

Sometimes we California subscribers get some programing that doesn't really fit. Some Babe Winkleman's programs, Lots of In-Fisherman programs, Citco Walleye Tournament, two different Canadian shows (dialog exerpt: 'I'll surely say there ... you've certainly got that big one to the boat.... tlhere's few...... over the size of that one......... ya know) Arrhhhhhh Our Canadian cousins !!!! Giant lake trout, muskis, pike, walleye, grayling, and inconue don't do us much good in SoCal. ha ha ha

Al Linder and his family used to just about run In-Fisherman for all the credits they got on the shows tail end quite a few years ago. You're 100% on his enthusiasm being contagious. I don't particularly like the present host as Al was so good.

If you really enjoy watching, and don't have cable I propose we do this: I will VHS tape 8 hours of fishing programs, send them to you via media mail ($1.42 throughout US) you watch them, tape 8 hours worth of what you get there and send them to me.

I don't mind if it takes you longer to fill up the tape than me. For me it's one week-end. We could start when In-fisherman and Al start up again. I did this with a buddy in the US for 10 years Sumo to him fishing to me. ha ha ha

You could PM me your address and mine is in my profile I believe.

tsurikichi
[signature]
JR, now that's a pretty good idea. I have to re-program my VCR which means I need to find the programs again.

What types of programs are you looking for? Ken Hrbek Outdoors?
[signature]
Hi again,

As long as it's anything based on fishing ........ I'd be good. Don't mind the semi-infomercials for lodges either. And again, I don't mind it taking a bit of time on your end. I'll do a trial tape. Should be able to mail after mext week-end.

Are you interested in any type of fishing, freshwater only, include saltwater, etc. I'll make a trial tape and we'll see how it goes.

JapanRon
[signature]
Both freshwater and saltwater works for me. As long as it's fishing, it works for me.

I'd love some info on saltwater fishing out in southern Cali. I hope to one day get out there and fish with tubeN2 and you.
[signature]
the best freshwater fishing show,for me was,and still is the fishin hole,with jerry Mckinnis,down to earth type of guy
[signature]
Hey DDR! Whenever you are ready, we will be glad to introduce you to some of our Salty friends. I'm sure they wouldn't even notice that you are from another state.[cool]
[signature]
That show still on Tom? If so what network?
[signature]
it was on espn on sat.mornings at 8.30 january through march
[signature]
Hi there TubeN2,

Did you watch the KDOC 30 min weekly saltwater fishing program Catch It yesterday? Awesome yellowtail bite at San Benito Island on the Polaris Supreme. Last week it was Catalina. Now we've got two SoCal/Baja/Mexico fishing programs. The 5pm time slot should give it bigtime viewing.

JapanRon
[signature]
Our boat came back early yesterday but I didn't get home untill around 6pm. I'm still trying to find that channel on my cable box so I can TVO it.[Wink]
[signature]
[center][cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Hey there tubeN2, If your cable company is Adelphia - the it is channel #6.[/size][/green][/font][/center] [center][/center]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=9096;]
[signature]
Thanks Dryrod but I have Time Warner. I will go to the program guide and see if I can fast forward it to Sundays schedule.[cool]
[signature]